Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 15:49 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 15:49

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 698 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship, Digital Media & Entertainment
Schools:UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
 Q51  V41
GPA: 3.9 - undergrad 3.6 - grad-EE
WE 1: Social Gaming
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1682 [0]
Given Kudos: 210
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
 Q51  V41
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 806 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General/Operations Management
Schools:Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
 Q49  V42
Send PM
[#permalink]
BSD can you apply for next fall during the rolling admissions? It would probably be easy to improve your application and get it in during a decent time frame.
SVP
SVP
Send PM
[#permalink]
My primary attraction to Columbia was the January start, which would have enabled me to graduate in 2009 and would have saved me an entire year. However now that that option is gone, I am not *that* interested in Columbia even though I am positive I can put a much stronger application a second time around.

There are a couple of things that have really put me OFF Columbia.

- They took six whole weeks to respond, and then didn't even provide much in terms of feedback.
- Their application system is utter crap (technology and usability wise), which really lowers my respect for them (as a former IT person).

riverripper wrote:
BSD can you apply for next fall during the rolling admissions? It would probably be easy to improve your application and get it in during a decent time frame.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
[#permalink]
Bad luck mate!!!

May be AGSM is calling you !!!!! Just kidding!

I dropped out of J-term race after the class is reduced by 1/3

Columbia love re-applicants - met plenty of them while i was at the school...
SVP
SVP
Send PM
[#permalink]
AGSM *smile*

I think if nothing else works out, a late second round application to Columbia regular term may be on the cards. But for now, there are several other things to consider.

Just applied to Wharton and Princeton (MFin). Might put in bids for London Business School, MIT and Chicago in the coming days as well. But will take a break for a couple of days first. Wharton was mentally exhausting (finished the entire application in 8 days).

Ozmba2006 wrote:
Bad luck mate!!!

May be AGSM is calling you !!!!! Just kidding!

I dropped out of J-term race after the class is reduced by 1/3

Columbia loves re-applicants - met plenty of them during my school visit
Current Student
Send PM
[#permalink]
Sorry to hear that, bsd. I think you already analyzed the ding pretty well. And we always knew that our first applications were going to be the weakest, right? Hopefully you'll get better results at Princeton and Wharton. As for the other schools, I feel that both Chicago and LBS also have a lot to offer for your goals. All the best
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
bsd_lover wrote:
My primary attraction to Columbia was the January start, which would have enabled me to graduate in 2009 and would have saved me an entire year. However now that that option is gone, I am not *that* interested in Columbia even though I am positive I can put a much stronger application a second time around.

There are a couple of things that have really put me OFF Columbia.

- They took six whole weeks to respond, and then didn't even provide much in terms of feedback.
- Their application system is utter crap (technology and usability wise), which really lowers my respect for them (as a former IT person).

riverripper wrote:

Sorry for the ding...CBS has just announced that the J-term will actually be of 3 clusters. Regards
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 242 [0]
 Q48  V34
Send PM
[#permalink]
bsd,sorry to know about your ding at columbia. hard luck mate. but i liked the way you have analysed. i know you will do well and come out as winnder in your other apps. goodluck
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 32 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
I was REALLY bored at work this morning this morning and did some analysis of the comprehensive admit/ding list.

Have data from 15 applicants:

Avg GMAT: 740
Avg WE: 4.8 (had to guess a couple of times as some people used WE at time of application and some at the time of matriculation)
Avg age: 28
Indians: 6
European: 1
American: 8

For R1, W K and Ross are the most popular schools. Wharton is also the most popular school in R2. So of the 15 of us, 9 applicants are looking at W.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Sorry to hear about your ding, bsd. I can definitely understand the allure of starting in January instead of having to wait until next fall. However, it seems that you have a good understanding of where you think that you may have went wrong in your app. and I'm sure that that will help you strengthen your other apps.

Good luck and I'm sure that you'll get in somewhere so great that you won't even care that you had to wait a few extra months!
SVP
SVP
Send PM
[#permalink]
Guys,

I am completely bowled over by all your support. I suppose this is what makes this forum so great. For my next steps I am considering late applications for London Business school (Deadline - next Friday October 19th) and Yale SOM ( Deadline October 24th). Then second round applications for other UE schools.

I am not sure, how each of these schools stack up against my end goals (finance, trading, funds management, hedge funds).

Would this seem overkill or too ambitious ?

Suggestions ?
Director
Director
Send PM
[#permalink]
bsd_lover wrote:
Guys,

I am completely bowled over by all your support. I suppose this is what makes this forum so great. For my next steps I am considering late applications for London Business school (Deadline - next Friday October 19th) and Yale SOM ( Deadline October 24th). Then second round applications for other UE schools.

I am not sure, how each of these schools stack up against my end goals (finance, trading, funds management, hedge funds).

Would this seem overkill or too ambitious ?

Suggestions ?

My advice - "Don't Rush"

R1 and R2 have equal shot --

cheers
Director
Director
Affiliations: FRM Charter holder
Own Kudos [?]: 411 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
Schools:Stanford, Chicago Booth, Babson College
 Q48  V34 GMAT 2: 740  Q49  V42
GPA: 3.53
Send PM
[#permalink]
Ozmba2006 wrote:

R1 and R2 have equal shot --

cheers

Valid for all top schools except perhaps for MIT.

They have only 2 rounds. R1 might be better than R2. No?
Current Student
Send PM
[#permalink]
BSD, I agree with others that you shouldn't rush (I know .. it's tough to resist the temptation when there are still a few days left for some R1 deadlines). I think that LBS is okay for your goals if you are willing to work in Europe. If you are more interested in the US, and want to apply R1, then why not look at NYU? There's still time for their R1 application. And they are a good bet for your kinda jobs (Well, much better than Yale, IMHO).
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 308 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Health Care Marketing
Schools:Ross '10
Send PM
[#permalink]
so, did u decide which additional school u are applying for R1?

mNeo wrote:
BSD, I agree with others that you shouldn't rush (I know .. it's tough to resist the temptation when there are still a few days left for some R1 deadlines). I think that LBS is okay for your goals if you are willing to work in Europe. If you are more interested in the US, and want to apply R1, then why not look at NYU? There's still time for their R1 application. And they are a good bet for your kinda jobs (Well, much better than Yale, IMHO).
Current Student
Send PM
[#permalink]
ncprasad wrote:
so, did u decide which additional school u are applying for R1?

Well, so far I only know that I am applying to Stan in R2. So I was looking for an additional school for R2, not R1. R1 was a consideration only for MIT (Cos I hear everybody saying that R1 is a must for MIT). However I think that my research (Based on everybody's feedback -- Thanks for the feedback, BTW) is going to take a long time to pick another school. So, MIT R1 is out of the picture. Like I said to BSD, no point rushing.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
 Q51  V41
Send PM
[#permalink]
i'd recommend AGAINST rushing for R1 if there are only a few days left. You'll just be wasting time and $$ that you can spend on a much better R2 application. Heck, I've been working on Stan/Haas/UCLA for the past 2 months and I still feel it's not ready. I can't imagine if I threw together Kellogg in the next week to submit, I would get a ding faster than you can say "please admit me" ;)
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 48 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Schools: HKUST MBA - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V44
GPA: 3.2
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
[#permalink]
usually the dings are faster than saying please admit me.

But ya applying R2 actually gives a psychological break and some breathing space.

I am gonna do at least one school in R2

Time to organize my essays more and approach them from other angles.
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]
 1   2   3   4   5   6