Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 10:01 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 10:01

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1649 [0]
Given Kudos: 781
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 806 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General/Operations Management
Schools:Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
 Q49  V42
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 332 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Send PM
[#permalink]
Can you add the function of searching within a thread?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
 Q49  V42
Send PM
[#permalink]
kidderek wrote:
The biggest problem is that most people just want answers now and don't bother searching or reading posts that are right under their nose.

My biggest complaint around here. Obviously its hard to find random stuff that has been talked about but we have been pretty good about consolidating. How many times do people create threads about schools right above another thread about the school.

Maybe an announcement should be titled SEARCH BEFORE YOU POST.
SVP
SVP
Send PM
[#permalink]
riverripper wrote:
kidderek wrote:
The biggest problem is that most people just want answers now and don't bother searching or reading posts that are right under their nose.

My biggest complaint around here. Obviously its hard to find random stuff that has been talked about but we have been pretty good about consolidating. How many times do people create threads about schools right above another thread about the school.

Maybe an announcement should be titled SEARCH BEFORE YOU POST.

If someone asks a question or requests something, I usually check the number of their posts and when they joined. If they're a n00b, I usually answer or find it for him/her, however repetitive it may be.

The problem with writing "do a search" and locking the thread as many other forums do is that it sends a negative/hostile tone to the n00b and of course, that's not what we're all about here.

So, I think it's kind of a touchy thing. Also doing a search might bring up some dated information, which is never good.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 698 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship, Digital Media & Entertainment
Schools:UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
 Q51  V41
GPA: 3.9 - undergrad 3.6 - grad-EE
WE 1: Social Gaming
Send PM
[#permalink]
was panicking when all the stickies disappeared. :)

but yes, a separate forum that has the name of "comprehensive guide to all parts of the application" or "FAQ" or something like that with a big "READ THIS FIRST IF YOU'RE A N00B" will probably be the best method.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
At least be consistent.

One day, all the stickies disappear. And then the next day, I see 7-8 new stickies with 4 new pages of discussion I've never read before.

I'd rather see it cluttered with stickies than see it clean and empty.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
 Q51  V41
Send PM
[#permalink]
the question now is... where did the other stickied posts go?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
 Q49  V42
Send PM
[#permalink]
Kry they are around they just went back to whenever they were last updated.

A lot of that info could be captured in the wiki somewhere.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
 Q51  V41
Send PM
[#permalink]
oh I see. I thought Praet was going to put a sub-forum (maybe in B-School Apps) to put those stickies in.

The issue now is a lot of the good info is "lost" if we don't capture it somewhere. The wiki idea is great and I will definitely help work on it, but until R2's are over, I doubt many of us have the time or energy to do so.

Just my 2 cents

EDIT: For now, I edited this link with the original "stickied" posts:

https://www.gmatclub.com/forum/p364105#364105
CEO
CEO
Send PM
[#permalink]
Thanks for your comments.

You can find all your favorite stickies in the two announcements: "The Pants Pooping.." and "2008 Applicants -- Read this..."

a) I dont think we can expect perfection as far as duplication is concerned. Also, I dont think that we have too many duplicate threads.

Its hard to beat the temptation of posting a new thread. It is easy, does not involve a lot of searching and the worst that can happen is someone will point you to an earlier discussion anyway.

b) I will have to give the sub-forum idea more thought. I struggle with the idea of a sub-forum because it decentralizes the information. My thinking is that the set of links serve a similar function and keeps all the relevant information together.

There are at least two ways to keep track of threads that are 'live':

1) Select an option to watch for replies.
2) Bookmark the thread

c) We can have stickies. No question of consistency. They serve an important function. But too many stickies for too long affects the browsing experience.

d) The Wiki is something we are eagerly looking forward to getting jump started. I am sure it is the best way to archive the excellent information that all of you have assembled on this forum.

Finally, my intent is not to dismiss any of your suggestions. In the spirit of community, we try to build a better place for the future applicants as we go along. The 2007's did it for the 2008's and they left all of you a much much more useful GMAT Club. If we stick together, it will ultimately help us all.

Thanks again for your comments.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
 Q51  V41
Send PM
[#permalink]
Hi Praetorian,

Thank you for your comments. I think the link collections in those two threads you mentioned should be good enough for now. I went ahead and updated both threads with some links that were missing.

As for stickies, I think they can be used for certain important threads that pop up and we want to give it prominent attention. Maybe after the discussions die down, we'll add the link into the "Master Link Lists" and unsticky the old threads. What do you think of that idea?

I would probably sticky Rhyme's Interview Guide for the time being, since most of us are getting into the interview season.
SVP
SVP
Send PM
[#permalink]
I don't know whether it's possible or not, but a "temporary" sticky might work. Something that will remain a sticky for a week maybe a week and a half, then converts to a regular post which will be 'bump'ed up by people replying to it, if they so wanted to keep the thread alive.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 233 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Social Enterprise
Schools:The Duke MBA, Class of 2009
Send PM
[#permalink]
As an 07-er, I thought about this a lot. On the one hand, we really covered a lot of stuff last year....what classes to take before applying, how long your tie should be, what to do about an unbalanced GMAT, etc. And you all could just spend your time reading those. But what I liked so much about gmatclub was the sense of community and support. I enjoyed the blather about wines and ties and all the rest. Why should you all be deprived of that? So in my mind, duplication is ok. It's what makes the forum alive. We 07ers didn't write a static book; we founded a community. Communities rest on the interactions of their diverse membership, not on a reference manual.

As a newcomer, searching can be tough. I was so clueless when I started this process that I didn't even know what I didn't know. I think in the spirit of creating a welcoming atmosphere, we should all just reply with something helpful like, "hey, welcome. I think you'll find some answers to get you started at ___________."

Just my 2 cents.
CEO
CEO
Send PM
[#permalink]
aaudetat wrote:
As an 07-er, I thought about this a lot. On the one hand, we really covered a lot of stuff last year....what classes to take before applying, how long your tie should be, what to do about an unbalanced GMAT, etc. And you all could just spend your time reading those. But what I liked so much about gmatclub was the sense of community and support. I enjoyed the blather about wines and ties and all the rest. Why should you all be deprived of that? So in my mind, duplication is ok. It's what makes the forum alive. We 07ers didn't write a static book; we founded a community. Communities rest on the interactions of their diverse membership, not on a reference manual.

As a newcomer, searching can be tough. I was so clueless when I started this process that I didn't even know what I didn't know. I think in the spirit of creating a welcoming atmosphere, we should all just reply with something helpful like, "hey, welcome. I think you'll find some answers to get you started at ___________."

Just my 2 cents.

very well said.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 208 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
aaudetat wrote:

Just my 2 cents.

Great idea. A welcome + link to the basic threads always work very well.

To give some additional info to the 08ers, it took Aau about 15 seconds to understand G'Club's community and get everyone's attention. A few weeks after she joined she was already calling us her b*tches... :lol:

L.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 233 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Social Enterprise
Schools:The Duke MBA, Class of 2009
Send PM
[#permalink]
lepium wrote:
aaudetat wrote:

Just my 2 cents.

Great idea. A welcome + link to the basic threads always work very well.

To give some additional info to the 08ers, it took Aau about 15 seconds to understand G'Club's community and get everyone's attention. A few weeks after she joined she was already calling us her b*tches... :lol:

L.

that's harsh. i thought i said "wee minions."
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]