Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 01:05 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 01:05

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Schools:Cornell University
 Q48  V45
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 26 [0]
 Q48  V39
Send PM
Manager
Manager
 Q48  V45
Send PM
Manager
Manager
 Q48  V45
Send PM
Status [#permalink]
Man, how many posts before I am no longer an "intern"...I keep waiting...I've had enough internships, I'm ready to be a manager! :lol:
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 233 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Social Enterprise
Schools:The Duke MBA, Class of 2009
Send PM
[#permalink]
nervousgmat wrote:
Dosa- submitted
Lanter1- submitted
mba2010 - submitted 10/31 and interviewed 10/5
nervousgmat -submitted 11/1 and interviewed 10/2

Dosa,

Your interview will likely depend on the style of the interviewer. It can be very formal (in my case) or very conversational (aaudetat's case). Either way, be prepared for a few behavioral-type questions. mba2010 has most of them covered in her doc.

Good luck!

TEAM WORK TEAM WORK TEAM WORK! GO TEAM GO! LOVE the TEAM FUQUA. Really, be ready for that one.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 32 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Just finished interviewing at Fuqua- really really like the school. It was amazing- right from a bunch of first years spending a whole Saturday answering questions to the flexibility in accommodating the prospectives wishes to sit in a class (could atleast sit in on a Weekend MBA program class). Oh well- the interview itself went ok I think- my first one of the bunch (I hope). I do wish I could have visited earlier- would have made my app stand out a little more. I highly recommend R2 applicants to visit Durham BEFORE your app, you do get a lot of info about the school.

I guess 6 weeks to hear the decision....:)
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 26 [0]
 Q48  V39
Send PM
[#permalink]
dosa_don wrote:
Just finished interviewing at Fuqua- really really like the school. It was amazing- right from a bunch of first years spending a whole Saturday answering questions to the flexibility in accommodating the prospectives wishes to sit in a class (could atleast sit in on a Weekend MBA program class). Oh well- the interview itself went ok I think- my first one of the bunch (I hope). I do wish I could have visited earlier- would have made my app stand out a little more. I highly recommend R2 applicants to visit Durham BEFORE your app, you do get a lot of info about the school.

I guess 6 weeks to hear the decision....:)

I second the recommendation...you have a real since of what the school is about after the visit.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Schools:Tuck, Yale (ding), NYU, Columbia, Duke (int)
Send PM
[#permalink]
I'm going to Duke next weekend for their Diversity Workshop, however I'm applying for fall 2009 admissions, not 2008. They asked whether or not I wanted to interview, I said yes...but now I'm not sure. Is it crazy to interview this early? I'm just cutting it in terms of my work experience...I feel like it may be better to hold off until later on, what do you guys think?
Manager
Manager
 Q48  V45
Send PM
[#permalink]
VictoryMBA wrote:
I'm going to Duke next weekend for their Diversity Workshop, however I'm applying for fall 2009 admissions, not 2008. They asked whether or not I wanted to interview, I said yes...but now I'm not sure. Is it crazy to interview this early? I'm just cutting it in terms of my work experience...I feel like it may be better to hold off until later on, what do you guys think?

I'm no expert, but I'd say wait to interview. At this stage, if you are going to visit, you could ask for an "Informational Interview." As I understand it, the interviews are part of the actual application process.
SVP
SVP
Send PM
[#permalink]
VictoryMBA wrote:

Give admissions a call and ask them if the interview would be considered part of your applications package. If you feel like you're ready to give solid answers to the various questions (don't worry about the quantity of work experience - think quality and goals), then go for it. If you're in a more exploratory stage and might end up changing your ideas by the time you apply, then you don't want that "old" info in your official folder. I think asking for an informational interview is a safe idea.

I'm glad you're coming for the weekend - I think you'll find it super-informative and a great way to launch your mba search.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Schools:Tuck, Yale (ding), NYU, Columbia, Duke (int)
Send PM
[#permalink]
I know why I want to go to business school, and that is not going to change. It has more to do with the fact that I just don't know how prepared I feel to give answers to questions that may have an effect on my admission chances. Maybe I should just sit down and give a lot more thought to some of those common interview questions to help ease my anxiety.
Manager
Manager
 Q48  V45
Send PM
Visit... [#permalink]
Hey all. I'm in Durham tonight and visiting Duke in the morning. If anyone has questions about the interview/visit experience, lemme know. Most people here seem to know what they're doing much moreso than me, so I won't be offended if no one has questions, just wanted to let everyone know.
SVP
SVP
Send PM
Re: Visit... [#permalink]
PaulK wrote:
Hey all. I'm in Durham tonight and visiting Duke in the morning. If anyone has questions about the interview/visit experience, lemme know. Most people here seem to know what they're doing much moreso than me, so I won't be offended if no one has questions, just wanted to let everyone know.

are you going to a class? I've got strategy at 8am, so sign up for that! He's a great teacher. Funny, totally interesting. I'm also the class host tomorrow, so you can come back and claim the club distinction of having AAu haul you to class. It's a much-coveted experience.
Manager
Manager
 Q48  V45
Send PM
aaudetat wrote:
are you going to a class? I've got strategy at 8am, so sign up for that! He's a great teacher. Funny, totally interesting. I'm also the class host tomorrow, so you can come back and claim the club distinction of having AAu haul you to class. It's a much-coveted experience.

Ha, tempting...but (1) I'm still on West Coast time, so class at 8 = class at 5 for me...and (2) I get to interview at 8:30...so a 5:30 interview my time...I think I'd rather have the class...
SVP
SVP
Send PM
PaulK wrote:
aaudetat wrote:

Ha, tempting...but (1) I'm still on West Coast time, so class at 8 = class at 5 for me...and (2) I get to interview at 8:30...so a 5:30 interview my time...I think I'd rather have the class...

all right, you win. but if you're around in the afternoon, i am working the admissions registration desk from 1 to 3, so stop by and say hi.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 806 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General/Operations Management
Schools:Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
 Q49  V42
Send PM
[#permalink]
I am tempted to go for a R2 application to Duke...some companies I would like to work recruit there, they have a great job market for my wife, and the cost of living is not crazy like some other spots. Anyone from up north have opinions on the southern culture down there, I have heard some negative stuff from a few people I know who went to admitted student weekends the last couple years. Its hard to judge though without seeing it since I wont be able to visit before applying.

AAU, coming from NY how do you enjoy it? (besides being hit by cars that is)
SVP
SVP
Send PM
[#permalink]
People ask me how I like the south. I have really one response: I'm in school. I am not in the south. All of us at b-school (especially the ones in smaller locales where the students are more cohesive) will probably agree: your community is your fellow students. I have more Indians in my section than southerners - or something like that.

In addition, the Triangle is pretty mixed. Lots of folks from all over around here.

Finally, what southern stuff there is, I dig it. People are friendly, which makes me think of my midwestern roots. The food is fun. The weather is fabulous.

Cost of living rocks. Our mortgage payment...well, you all would be ill if I told you.

If I were gay or a hard-core city girl, it might be different. There are good restaurants and fun bars and a worthwhile music/arts scene, but it's smaller than NYC - obviously. On the other hand, I'm too damned busy to enjoy off-broadway and too broke for fancy eats. So I'm content. But I am a woman of simple needs. I think Ithaca is paradise.

Does that help?

But really, apply. You might dig it. And the partners here are pretty active, visible and cool. So that's good for the wifey.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 32 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Thanks for your inputs Aau. Thats sort of the same response I got from a whole bunch of people when I was down there last weekend. The students seem to live in a few specific communities (apartments - Station Nine, the lofts etc). The one thing that sort of made me wonder is the fact that if you need to go to a bar, it has to be in Chapel Hill (atleast the person I spoke to mentioned it). Also my wife is in IT and apparently the job scene for her field is pretty good.

The one downside (of sorts) is the Grade disclosure policy. I was not really pleased with that but Aau- could you throw some light on that? How does it impact interactions amongst the students etc?
Manager
Manager
 Q48  V45
Send PM
Duke [#permalink]
Being in the middle of my visit day right now, I've already heard a number of comments of how Duke is "the place where students not from North Carolina come to go to school." Students stay here, love the school, but it's not the typical Southern culture, it's a mix.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 265 [0]
Send PM
Re: Duke [#permalink]
PaulK wrote:
Being in the middle of my visit day right now, I've already heard a number of comments of how Duke is "the place where students not from North Carolina come to go to school." Students stay here, love the school, but it's not the typical Southern culture, it's a mix.

Very true. At the Women's Weekend I met students from all over the country: east coast, west coast, mid-west, and internationals from India and Latin America.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Duke [#permalink]
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  23