Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 18:53 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 18:53

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 332 [0]
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
I'm going to try to turn my app in tonight.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 73 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Why is NYU so cheap with its essay word limits? I know that other schools also have word limits, and I am sure we all go over the limit within the 10% range but NYU states it so damn explicitly even when you are trying to upload those essays on the website..... just made me furious that why do u guys have to rub it in my face..... that we are very serious about the word limit. Isn't the message I am trying to get across more important than the word limit...haha

Seriously guys help me out... I am not too much over the word limit, just have around 10% more than the word limits for all the 3 essays... are you guys struggling with this for NYU too?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
Haha, I was just thinking about the same thing. I managed to get my essay 2 and 3 within the word limit, but there is just no way I can reduce my essay 1 further...it is about 5% above the limit and I am gonna upload it as such. Do you know if they actually penalise you for going above the limit?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 73 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
I actually don't know whether they penalize or not, but I know that I am going over their stated limit, obviously not over the board... so I am like 30-40 words over for each of the 3 essays, which is still under 10% for each... so I am going to go ahead with it.. I need a break from this and I can't cut anymore. I have edited so much that I just want to upload it now and get it over with before I lose my message...lol!

Btw, are you putting the actual question too? I have put the actual question too, but I am hoping that should be ok....
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
I am, and am pretty sure it does not count towards the word limit
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
vchhaochharia wrote:
I am, and am pretty sure it does not count towards the word limit

Still struggling with Essay 3, might go with R2 if i don't finish it....you guys all writing traditional essays or doing something creative?

I don't understand why they don't let us upload stuff for essay 3...I asked adcom and they said if you are doing anything that's not an traditional essay, you'd have to send it in via snail mail in a package...so you cannot upload graphics or pics or anythings.....can someone confirm this???

Anyway, what's the final deadline? is it midnight of Nov 15?

Thanks.

Originally posted by aceman626 on 13 Nov 2007, 21:07.
Last edited by aceman626 on 13 Nov 2007, 21:26, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
Really? Is it true you can't upload graphics, even if it's in PDF form?

I'd like to know the deadline also. Is it the midnight of 14-15, or 15-16?

aceman626 wrote:
I don't understand why they don't let us upload stuff for essay 3...I asked adcom and they said if you are doing something that's not an traditional essay, you'd have to send it in via snail mail in a package...so you cannot upload graphics or anythings.....can someone confirm this???

Anyway, what's the final deadline? is it midnight of No 15?

Thanks.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 233 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Finance (Corp Fin, Financial Instruments)
Schools:NYU Stern 2009
Send PM
[#permalink]
I think it will be midnight the 15th.

The word limits are tight because... I don't know. Same way that Stanford's are ridiculously long. Makes you think, and forces you out of the standards.

Essay three... I am looking forward to seeing some of those. I hope they'll let me. I remember the moment I saw my essay three on the table in my i/view...

The probable reason for essay three being words or post is because some people go absurdly creative. I have heard some ridiculous tales of inventivity from our my year.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
Is midnight beginning of the day or the end? (Yes I'm applying to business school)

What's i/view?

3underscore wrote:
I think it will be midnight the 15th.

I remember the moment I saw my essay three on the table in my i/view...
Current Student
Send PM
[#permalink]
aceman626 wrote:
3) I've heard some rumors that stern is regarded as second rate to columbia is there any truth to that??? I wouldn't want to go anywhere that's got a weak reputation...

If it is second rate to Columbia in your mind, or even worse "weak", don't apply. You certainly wouldn't fit in.

I can't answer this question objectively - if you don't want to go to anywhere considered "second rate" why are you applying to more than one school? Or is it a one way street?

I would completely disagree with your questions and could point to several people I know who discarded Columbia to come to Stern. But I am not sure that is what matters to you here. The issue is that if YOU don't want to go to a school, it is really a waste of time, effort and money on everyones part for you to even bother applying.

I mean, your thought process is also a little like saying you would only work for Goldman because the others are inferior through being tarnished by subprime. In one hand, it is a very subjective assessment. In the other hand, it is a good way about going being unemployed.

I'm sorry - I am in a pretty nasty mood right now due to a lack of sleep.

Originally posted by 3underscore on 13 Nov 2007, 21:24.
Last edited by 3underscore on 13 Nov 2007, 21:29, edited 1 time in total.
Current Student
Send PM
[#permalink]
gz2nyc

Hey - it will be (I would expect) 11.59pm on the 15th. I can ask tomorrow.

I am a first year at Stern. The i/view I referred to was my interview about 6 months ago.

I really should be pricing coupon bonds than sitting doing this.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
I want to point out this forum should shoulder some blame. The way it groups business schools into Ultra Elite, Elite, Trans-elite, does not give prospective applicants a fair chance to gain insight into the schools. This is especially true as many prospects come here right after taking the GMAT to learn about the schools.

Aceman:seeing how you haven't started on your essay 3 yet, I strongly urge you to apply for R2. Before you do that, visit the school if you can. I can tell you I thought the same way as you not too long ago, but the information sessions changed my mind. Sounds cliche but it's true. Also, unless you majored in English or Journalism in college, I recommend you take more than 2 weeks on your essays. The advantage gained in applying early really doesn't help out your cause here...

3underscore wrote:
aceman626 wrote:
3) I've heard some rumors that stern is regarded as second rate to columbia is there any truth to that??? I wouldn't want to go anywhere that's got a weak reputation...

If it is second rate to Columbia in your mind, or even worse "weak", don't apply. You certainly wouldn't fit in.

I can't answer this question objectively - if you don't want to go to anywhere considered "second rate" why are you applying to more than one school? Or is it a one way street?

I would completely disagree with your questions and could point to several people I know who discarded Columbia to come to Stern. But I am not sure that is what matters to you here. The issue is that if YOU don't want to go to a school, it is really a waste of time, effort and money on everyones part for you to even bother applying.

Originally posted by gz2nyc on 13 Nov 2007, 21:30.
Last edited by gz2nyc on 13 Nov 2007, 21:39, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
Thanks 3under. Speaking of deadlines, I remember asking a GA over the phone several weeks ago, the difference in acceptance rate between R1 and R2. The way she dodged the question gave me impressions that applying R1 does yield higher chances compared to applying R2, despite everywhere else saying there's no difference between both rounds.

3underscore wrote:
gz2nyc

Hey - it will be (I would expect) 11.59pm on the 15th. I can ask tomorrow.

I am a first year at Stern. The i/view I referred to was my interview about 6 months ago.

I really should be pricing coupon bonds than sitting doing this.
Current Student
Send PM
[#permalink]
It is more about forming your own opinions though - hjort is pretty clear about how he views the structure, and doesn't enforce it on anyone.

Comparing schools is a really tricky thing to do. If you think somewhere is inferior, maybe do it as a back-up. If you like it, apply to it. This whole thing isn't just an investment in a qualification - it is two years of your life, your making friends, and more friends you will know the rest of your life.

As a general rule, most UE/E schools will have similar(ish) opportunities, with a bias in their favor on some things. Harvard will see a lot of PE/VC (at least compared to everywhere else, and that may not be much in itself), other schools will see some more of other things.

I come from a different angle as an alum, and am very clear where I feel Stern is strong to Columbia, and others where it turns the other way. So, I would say it depends. Visit them both, and then come back to me. You will be a very unusual person if you feel you like them both. And honestly, hating two years of your life at the school that is a ranking place above / better at placing seal trainers / offers more scholarships - it isn't going to be worth it.
Current Student
Send PM
[#permalink]
gz2nyc wrote:
Thanks 3under. Speaking of deadlines, I remember asking a GA over the phone several weeks ago, the difference in acceptance rate between R1 and R2. The way she dodged the question gave me impressions that applying R1 does yield higher chances compared to applying R2, despite everywhere else saying there's no difference between both rounds.

Can't say - other than I know a lot of people who got in R2, myself included. And that isn't a group of stellar GMAT and everything.

If you are international I would tip you toward R1, purely because it is hellish to deal with everything before you get in. Otherwise, as ever, R1 is probably preferable. The problem is that the admissions people really don't know what they are going to see yet.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
gz2nyc wrote:
Really? Is it true you can't upload graphics, even if it's in PDF form?

I'd like to know the deadline also. Is it the midnight of 14-15, or 15-16?

aceman626 wrote:
I don't understand why they don't let us upload stuff for essay 3...I asked adcom and they said if you are doing something that's not an traditional essay, you'd have to send it in via snail mail in a package...so you cannot upload graphics or anythings.....can someone confirm this???

Anyway, what's the final deadline? is it midnight of No 15?

Thanks.

Yeah dude, from what i heard, no PDFs, no pics embedded in Word docs, no nothing unless its straight text. I don't get it either. Can you or someone confirm? Thanks.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
I agree with everything I understood from what you said, except this following. Both CBS and Stern are similar in that they're both finance schools, have strong focus on international business, and both play up the NYC location (stern much more so). I do see some differences between the cultures when I visited their campuses. But generally, many well informed people do apply to both schools.

3underscore wrote:
You will be a very unusual person if you feel you like them both.
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]
   1  ...  3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  26