Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 02:59 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 02:59

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618686 [24]
Given Kudos: 81586
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Veritas Prep Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 2945 [15]
Given Kudos: 63
Send PM
Veritas Prep Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 2945 [5]
Given Kudos: 63
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 53 [2]
Given Kudos: 66
Concentration: Finance, Statistics
Schools: Wharton '22
Send PM
Re: The higher the average fat intake among the residents of a country, th [#permalink]
Kudos
Bunuel wrote:
The higher the average fat intake among the residents of a country, the higher the incidence of cancer in that country; the lower the average fat intake, the lower the incidence of cancer. So individuals who want to reduce their risk of cancer should reduce their fat intake.

Which one of the following, if true, most weaken the argument?

(A) The differences in average fat intake between countries are often due to the varying makeup of traditional diets.

(B) The countries with a high average fat intake tend to be among the wealthiest in the world.

(C) Cancer is a prominent cause of death in countries with a low average fat intake.

(D) The countries with high average fat intake are also the countries with highest levels of environmental pollution.

(E) An individual resident of a country whose population has a high average fat intake may have a diet with a low fat intake.

Though many answer choices try to give the causal relationship between cancer and fat intake on a national lever, only C completely weakens the argument that national fat intake is causal to the incidence of cancer on a individual level.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 530 [0]
Given Kudos: 4092
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V31
GMAT 2: 620 Q47 V30
GMAT 3: 650 Q48 V31
GPA: 3.1
WE:Corporate Finance (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
The higher the average fat intake among the residents of a country, th [#permalink]
Option C states that when the cause (average fat intake) is lesser , the effect is (cancer) is still there. This weakens the argument, does it not ? Please guide

Regards
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Send PM
Re: The higher the average fat intake among the residents of a country, th [#permalink]
According to me It should be OA : C ..Only ....D is Out of scope ..
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 17
Send PM
I know why C is not the correct option but can someone explain why D is the correct answer?

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi harsh ,

I think you are talking about countries ... instead of country ..right ?

Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 17
Send PM
mittalmohit1995 wrote:
Hi harsh ,

Hello Mohit,

Intially I was confused between countries and country. But all the options contain contries so that is not an issue. Right now my concern is how can we relate high fat intake to environmental pollution, as stated in option D. I mean if C is a Farfetched option then D also to seems to be.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
I agree with you harsh ...I also have same doubt ...how we can relate hight fat with pollution ...

Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 530 [2]
Send PM
The higher the average fat intake among the residents of a country, th [#permalink]
Kudos
vermaharsh147 wrote:
mittalmohit1995 wrote:
Hi harsh ,

Hello Mohit,

Intially I was confused between countries and country. But all the options contain contries so that is not an issue. Right now my concern is how can we relate high fat intake to environmental pollution, as stated in option D. I mean if C is a Farfetched option then D also to seems to be.

A weakener of a causal claim can be that Z caused X and Y both. D states just that.
Ask yourself, what if pollution lead to cancer and cancer led to high fat diet consumption.

D is a weakener.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 530 [1]
Send PM
Bookmarks
mittalmohit1995 wrote:
Hi harsh ,

A country is not specific. Had it been the country, then it would have been a specific case.

I hope this clarifies your issue
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 71 [0]
Given Kudos: 62
GPA: 4
WE:Brand Management (Health Care)
Send PM
ShankSouljaBoi wrote:
vermaharsh147 wrote:
mittalmohit1995 wrote:
Hi harsh ,

Hello Mohit,

A weakener of a causal claim can be that Z caused X and Y both. D states just that.
Ask yourself, what if pollution lead to cancer and cancer led to high fat diet consumption.

D is a weakener.

I understand this logic. But aren't we "assuming" here that environmental pollution increases risk of cancer? Shouldn't we NOT rely on outside knowledge and NOT assume things that aren't mentioned in the paragraph?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 71 [0]
Given Kudos: 62
GPA: 4
WE:Brand Management (Health Care)
Send PM
VeritasPrepBrian wrote:
This problem does a great job of setting up a Correlation vs. Causation logical flaw, so that's a big lesson you should take away (even outside of the C vs. D debate). The premises show that fat intake and cancer incidence occur together (correlation), but then the conclusion makes an inference about causality (if you reduce your fat intake you'll reduce your likelihood of cancer incidence, basically assuming that fat intake is the reason for cancer).

When you see Correlation vs. Causation logical gap (X and Y occur together, so X causes Y), the most likely correct Weaken answers will be:

1) X doesn't cause Y; instead Y causes X --> the opposite of the conclusion is true

2) Actually Z causes Y (and maybe also causes X) --> there's an alternate cause of the effect (and maybe of both effects)

Here choice (D) is written to hit that #2 type of correlation/causation Weaken answer - environmental pollution is given as the alternate cause.

So that's the lesson to take from this one. For anyone thinking "hey that's a pretty big assumption to make that pollution and cancer are connected" I think I'd agree with you, but keep in mind that official questions are so carefully developed and statistically researched that they'll (almost) always get it right (well, at least if they're the non-experimental ones that count toward your score). So here even if you don't think D is a perfect fit, if you see how it fits the Correlation/Causation template you've learned the lesson and are ready to apply it to future problems.

Thanks Brian. Your explanation helps understand how much assumption is sometimes alright.

Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 254 [1]
Given Kudos: 130
Send PM
Kudos
(C) vs (D)

(C) Cancer is a prominent cause of death in countries with a low average fat intake.

This one just states an statistic about countries with a low average fat intake, does that weaken the argument? Although this is a curious fact, it remains intact the cause effect between fat intake and risk of cancer, Incorrect.

(D) The countries with high average fat intake are also the countries with highest levels of environmental pollution.

This one makes us doubt about the causality between fat intake and risk of cancer, so it is the winner. Remember that at weaken questions, you do not need to "destroy" the argument, but just need to debilitate it. Correct
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1034 [0]
Given Kudos: 1091
GMAT 1: 700 Q47 V39
Send PM
In such answer choices, any answer choice that provides an alternative to the present casualty is the correct choice. Only D does this. You should look out for such patterns. you'll see it in many weaken/assumption questions.

To provide an example of testing this hypothesis with an OG weaken question try this here

Spoiler
The conclusion here is that the "the fish pass is defective"
Aim: find an alternate to this stated causality.
Ans choice: The construction of the dam stirred up potentially toxic river sediments that were carried downstream. {alternate reason to why fewer fish made the journey}
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 223 [0]
Given Kudos: 434
Send PM
Another way to look at choice C is if cancer is a prominent cause of death in countries with a low average fat intake, cancer can be an even more prominent cause of death in countries with a high average fat intake.

As you can see, C doesn't weaken the argument. Cancer may be a prominent cause of death in countries with a low average fat intake, but how does that tie in to the argument that individuals who want to reduce their risk of cancer should reduce their fat intake? It doesn't.

D, on the other hand, gives us another variable (environmental pollution) that brings doubt to the conclusion of the argument. D is the answer.
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1813 [0]
Given Kudos: 763
WE:Sales (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
The higher the average fat intake among the residents of a country, the higher the incidence of cancer in that country; the lower the average fat intake, the lower the incidence of cancer. So individuals who want to reduce their risk of cancer should reduce their fat intake.

(A) The differences in average fat intake between countries are often due to the varying makeup of traditional diets. - WRONG. Scope irrelevant.

(B) The countries with a high average fat intake tend to be among the wealthiest in the world. - WRONG. Similar to A this is irrelevant.

(C) Cancer is a prominent cause of death in countries with a low average fat intake. - WRONG. So, is it the cause of Cancer. This relation if established then the choice looks considerable for further evaluation.

(D) The countries with high average fat intake are also the countries with highest levels of environmental pollution. - CORRECT. So, we might have another factor that might be responsible for Cancer either exclusively or together with fat intake.

(E) An individual resident of a country whose population has a high average fat intake may have a diet with a low fat intake. - WRONG. If someone missed D then this is the one that makes sense. Otherwise this is about exception which does not impact passage.

Answer D.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 57 [0]
Given Kudos: 72
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V36
WE:Investment Banking (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Okay so let me add an objective take aside from what's been stated already on correlation v/s causation. I see fair points being made for C and D as well, but lets take a closer look:

(A) The differences in average fat intake between countries are often due to the varying makeup of traditional diets. [doesnt help weaken the conclusion, out of scope]

(B) The countries with a high average fat intake tend to be among the wealthiest in the world. [doesnt help weaken the conclusion, out of scope]

(C) Cancer is a prominent cause of death in countries with a low average fat intake. [this one seems to have an active discussion so lets look at it. Our conclusion is targeting "individuals" who want to reduce their risk of cancer and not "countries". This statement says cancer is a prominent cost in low-fat countries, but what about high-fat countries - we don't know if its prominent or not. So even if people in the current high-fat counties start eating healthy we cannot say they wont suffer from major ailments. You can see the direction where this is heading towards - we will need 1/more implicit assumptions to be made here]

(D) The countries with high average fat intake are also the countries with highest levels of environmental pollution. [Okay so, here, we have 1 other challenge i.e. highest levels of pollution so atleast we are now a little less confident that reducing fat consumption alone will lead to reduction in the risk of cancer]

(E) An individual resident of a country whose population has a high average fat intake may have a diet with a low fat intake.[doesnt help weaken the conclusion, out of scope]

Tip: What I normally do is I keep aside choices that seem interesting (read as relevant to the target population) and then evaluate if they move the needle in the desired direction.

Hope this is helpful :)
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts