Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 23:23 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 23:23

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 39 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Is everybody using US english or UK english for the essays?
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1682 [0]
Given Kudos: 210
Send PM
[#permalink]
I am using Australian English ;)

On a serious note, I would recommend using UK english.

vikramjit_01 wrote:
Is everybody using US english or UK english for the essays?
Manager
Manager
Status:Post MBA, working in the area of Development Finance
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
[#permalink]
I think American English for North American programs; for the rest of the programmes British English would be better!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
I think it does not matter :P

just don't use innit, bro, dude or lad, bird,etc...
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 236 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Hi all, I'm a first year MBA at LBS - feel free to ask me any questions about the programme.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Hi kluevehe,

I've applied to LBS b/c the program the school offers sounds really interesting, especially the shadow program. I'm from the US am curious about how students from my side of the ocean find living/studying in the UK. Also, should I have chance to go to LBS, I would seriously consider staying in London if I could. A few quick questions on this topic: what's the job search like, what's it like living there, how has the cost of living has impacted you?

I have been looking at consulting (BCG sounds really interesting) following graduation and was wondering if you have any idea what kind of life style a job like that offers. I know that's a lot of questions, but LBS is a school I'm really interested in and would love to know more. Thanks in advance.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
DINGED
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
sorry to hear that, best of luck with the others though
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
What is the percentage of applicants who get interview invites?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
Don't know but it's pretty small. From what I understand, if you get an invite to interview and don't blow the meeting your odds of getting in are pretty good.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
gnr646 wrote:
Don't know but it's pretty small. From what I understand, if you get an invite to interview and don't blow the meeting your odds of getting in are pretty good.

What is your source on this? I would like to know how significant my invite is...
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 157 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
EX10XL wrote:
gnr646 wrote:

What is your source on this? I would like to know how significant my invite is...

OK guys! Don't believe the myths:

Last year 2,000 applicants applied for LBS. 900-1,000 applicants were invited for an interview. The current class this year LBS'09 is 316 students. It is logical that not every applicant has accepted the offer. But the rate for LBS is still 6:1 (applicants to places) according to economist intelligence unit.

So I would not be to sure to be accepted, if I were invited for an interview. And here comes the good news: LBS has a new record of applicants for R1!!!!!

Therefore I would suggest that you prepare for your interview and keep cool.

Good luck for your interview!

Cheers

Catgmat
SVP
SVP
Send PM
[#permalink]
cat - that ratio of 6:1 would depend on the yield for LBS, which they dont guard as much as say Columbia does. A yield of 60% (not an unrealistic figure, although I suspect that its lower) would mean about 500 offers out of 1000 interviews. So basically after the interview, admit chances are 50/50.

On the other hand, the interview percentage could be much lower this year (i.e. they may well have decided that to retain the class size, given their yield , only 1000 interviews are justified regardless of the number of applicants). So at the end of the day, the only thing we can say with any certainty is that we need to prepare well for the interview - esp the impromptu presentation stuff, which is mandatory.

catgmat wrote:
EX10XL wrote:
gnr646 wrote:

Last year 2,000 applicants applied for LBS. 900-1,000 applicants were invited for an interview. The current class this year LBS'09 is 316 students. It is logical that not every applicant has accepted the offer. But the rate for LBS is still 6:1 (applicants to places) according to economist intelligence unit.

So I would not be to sure to be accepted, if I were invited for an interview. And here comes the good news: LBS has a new record of applicants for R1!!!!!

Cheers

Catgmat
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 157 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Surely agree with your 50% chance for the interview. Furthermore I think it is a great accomplishment to be selected by LBS for an interview.

However, the interview will just adjust the LBS estimation of your application, i.e. to be accepted, borderline/waitlisted or rejected.

As a consequence be prepared!

Good luck!

bsd_lover wrote:
cat - that ratio of 6:1 would depend on the yield for LBS, which they dont guard as much as say Columbia does. A yield of 60% (not an unrealistic figure, although I suspect that its lower) would mean about 500 offers out of 1000 interviews. So basically after the interview, admit chances are 50/50.

On the other hand, the interview percentage could be much lower this year (i.e. they may well have decided that to retain the class size, given their yield , only 1000 interviews are justified regardless of the number of applicants). So at the end of the day, the only thing we can say with any certainty is that we need to prepare well for the interview - esp the impromptu presentation stuff, which is mandatory.

catgmat wrote:
EX10XL wrote:
gnr646 wrote:

Cheers

Catgmat
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
catgmat wrote:
Surely agree with your 50% chance for the interview. Furthermore I think it is a great accomplishment to be selected by LBS for an interview.

However, the interview will just adjust the LBS estimation of your application, i.e. to be accepted, borderline/waitlisted or rejected.

As a consequence be prepared!

Good luck!

bsd_lover wrote:

catgmat wrote:
EX10XL wrote:
gnr646 wrote:

Cheers

Catgmat

I'm not sure how anyone can prepare for this kind of thing.... Not sure if anyone else does this but I usually say a prayer before important crossroads in my life. I've done this before every important job interview.. litterally batting 1000. It calms my nerves even though I'm not particularly religious. In any case, I think my reasons for wanting/needing LBS are excellent!!!
SVP
SVP
Send PM
[#permalink]
Also another thing to remember is that this is NOT a blind interview. The guy has access to everything - your applications, your resume etc. etc. so if there is any weakness in your application, he will probe for it.
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]