Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 23:27 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 23:27

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date

Should I write an optional essay to explain my low GPA?

62% [15]
37% [9]
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 32 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Send PM
Current Student
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 265 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
I say definitely address your GPA. This can only do you good and will not harm you as long as you don't sound defensive or whiny. Be objective and simply state facts.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 806 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General/Operations Management
Schools:Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
 Q49  V42
Send PM
[#permalink]
I wrote an optional essay (same for all schools) explaining a few weaker semesters. I got a some Cs and a D I believe, it hurt that two were in math classes but then I buckled down and excelled for the rest of my time, 3.7 for last two years.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Well, if your experiences are anywhere near what the guys from "Five point someone*" had, then you don't need to worry about the six pointer :lol:

* Five point someone is a book on what not to do at IITs -- A funny book about some kids in the five point range. And I must say that the book is very close to reality.
Current Student
Send PM
[#permalink]
I wish neo...but yeah, do have some pretty diverse experiences and actually once I have my essay written now, does not seem that bad :)
Current Student
Send PM
[#permalink]
Also-if anyone votes for NOT writing the essay- could you please explain why? :)
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 34 [0]
Schools:Chicago Booth 2010
Send PM
[#permalink]
i voted no. 6 doesnt seem that bad to me, although im not that familiar with grading in india. i feel like i see a lot of 7/10's posted from iits, so 6 seems ok. and from what you posted it doesnt sound like an extraordinary situation caused you to have a bad gpa... EC's and working part time seem pretty normal to me.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
I also voted no. Like dabots, I'm not very familiar with the grading system. Could someone perhaps explain it a bit more?

Though my circumstances were no doubt different (I was applying to NYU PT), I also considered addressing my less-than-stellar GPA (3.1 from an average school) in my optional essay. I also did not have a great GMAT so I thought academics may be an issue. Eventually, as the deadline got close, I decided against addressing these perceived shortcomings in the last essay. I felt that highlighting a negative attribute in my profile as perhaps one of the last things the AdCom read could not possibly help. I had no compelling reasons for my GPA issues though I did show improvement as I got older.

I used the optional essay to stress the positives in my profile (W/E & extra-cirrics) and reinforce my interest in the program...almost like a cover letter of sorts. It worked for me; I was accepted last month.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 806 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General/Operations Management
Schools:Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
 Q49  V42
Send PM
[#permalink]
I had a 3.4 and used the essay to explain away a few bad grades. I think the overall GPA is important to a point...but they aren't going to care if you got a C in an elective class on pottery. However if you ace those to drive your GPA but get a D in calc then that probably needs to be explained. Dont picture the GPA as a whole. Look at your transcript for trends that need to be explained or weaknesses in a quant heavy area or english for international students.
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]