Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 15:16 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 15:16

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 565 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
 Q50  V31
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 975 [0]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
 Q50  V31
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 975 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Amardeep Sharma wrote:
Thanks Gk_Gmat,

I appreciate your revert buddy, as adviced I am certainly not going to think about GMAT for next 7 days, as I am flying to Bali for vacations :)

I think I was too excited while taking verbal followed by quant. I was happy, as I knew quant went well, and here I lost focus.

If I have concentrated little harder and increased V till 36, I would have scrored around 720. :cry:

Is it possible that I can apply to these colleges now and furnish my GMAT score later, after retaking the same- say after next 45 days?

Amar

Yes. A lot of schools let you put in your application first and allow you to send in your scores later. However, the scores need to get in before the app. deadlines of course. You will need to check whether the schools you're applying to allow this.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
The schools I have asked said I can take the GMAT as late as the day of the deadline, as long as I request the score reports to be sent to the school BEFORE the deadline.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 101 [0]
Send PM
Re: 680- quite disappointed Q:50 V: 31 [#permalink]
Amardeep Sharma wrote:
I am very diappointed with my dismal performance in GMAT, today.

Though 50 in quant was expected, I am not able the swallow the fact that I scored 31 in verbal. Thats one of my worst performances in any of the tests I have taken so far.

Kindly guide me on my POA : 1) GMAT re-take, 2) start applying, c) combination of both.

I have posted my profile to Hjort, will send you as well, if you think, that will help you in guiding me.

Amar

Hi Amar

I would want to congratulate you on this score but not sure how you would take it. 680 should do the JOB for INSEAD and IMD.

I have attended more than 4 to 5 sessions at INSEAD singapore in the last 3 years. If you have anything more than 660 and if you have 7+ years of work experience you have a very good chance of getting in at INSEAD.

At IMD , it is bit tough as the total in take is much lesser than at INSEAD. Apart from GMAT score and other academic acheivements, IMD really values your career progression and current JOB profile. This makes their JOB much easier to sell graduates when they pass out.

So enjoy your vacation at Bali, refresh yourself and when you are back you will know what is best for you... :wink:
Manager
Manager
 Q50  V31
Send PM
[#permalink]
thanks Gmat_GK, Raj, and beyond 700, for your valuable advices.

By fall of 2008, I will be having more than 7 years of work ex, and my career progression is quite good. As far as profile goes I am heading the country for one of the multinational banks. Besides, I have worked in Middle- east and India, in both retail and corporate banking, before coming to South-east asia.

Guys I will soon shoot the mail on how I prepared for GMAT.

In few words, given a choice between selecting all the cources on GMAT from various institutes and joining GMATClub, I will prefer the later.

GMATClub is the encyclopedia of all your needs related to GMAT.

Amar
Manager
Manager
 Q50  V31
Send PM
[#permalink]
It all started since last year, when I were in Muscat, Oman. I didnt have any clue about GMAT those days, in fact I didnt know what is OG :lol: before taking my first attempt. All I knew was that I have to score 700 to get into good college. I scored 640 in Gmatprep before taking my first real test in November 2007, and scored 640. Such a raw.

As expected I havnt done anything for a month, except browsing through various sites, finding more about GMAT.

My life changed after I registered to this GMATclub. What a place to be. I must say in my 680, the last 80 is because of Gmatclub. Its a true encyclopedia of GMAT.

I actively participated in the club from Jan to March 2007, before I got this offer of shifting to Jakarta, Indonesia. As it was a new job and new place, I lost my momentum and have not studied till October 2007. For the first month I studied @ 8- 10 hours a week, setting my basic right. The real focus came in the mid of november and I took appointment for the test on December 1, 2007.

Following was my strategy:

Resources:

Quant:

1. GMAT winner guide - availabe for USD 10, good insight on P&C, Probability, statstics, and number theory

2. standard X and XI maths book for basics

3. GMAT challenges: I will rate it highly. One should go through them before taking the real GMAT.

4. Vedic mathmatics

Verbal:

1. OG: One should go through the explantion of each and every question, even if you got it correct.

2. OG verbal review: Same as above, although I couldnt do, due to time constraint.

3. MGMAT SC : Best book available on store for basics. Must read book. To understand in a better way I did book review on this book.

4. GMAT winner guide - availabe for USD 10

5. Sahil's notes - you may search for the same in GMATclub

6. Rythm strategy for RC- I read very late, couldnt get enough time to implement, but its very effective. You may get it in GMATclub

7. GMAT challenges- you may access to these 5 challenges after posting more than 250 messages :-D

Tests:

Kaplan : I havent seen anything worse than this so far. Though I couldnt score more than 620 in any of those 4 tests, I have scored 50 in quant in one of the tests :-D. I dont know what rule they follow. Take these tests to get more practice.

Princeton: Took three test, easier then Kaplan but tougher than real GMAT.

MGMAT: After Gmatprep, this is the best source. I got the access to one adaptive and 3 non adaptive tests, because I bought MGmat SC book. Now I feel I would have enrolled.

Gmatprep: Its as good as taking the real test. Its the perfect indicator of your GMAT score. This happened twice with me. I was consistently scoring between 700 to 720, Q- 49 - 50 and V 34- 38. Unfortunately due to over excitement I lost focus and scored poorly in Verbal section of real GMAT. :cry:

Scoring:

Gmat challenges maths: 78 - 97 percentile. 78 is an exception and I dont count that :lol:

Gmat prep - 1 at the begining of last round of studies- 700
Gmat prep- 2 - 700

Downloaded from the site

Gmat prep -1 : 710
Gmat prep- 2: 720

MGMAT: 670 and 680

Kaplan : 570 - 620

Strategy:

Verbal: My focus area was on my weekest link, i.e. SC. As I were able to do well on CR in OG (95% correct) and RC (earlier after finishing the book " How to read faster and better" by norman lewis) I stopped focusing on them. My SC skills have definitely ameliorated. I religiously used to solve every question in the GMATClub. I used to write every question, which I get wrong and then review it later so that I can understand my mistakes and improve. I have done the book reveiw on MGmat SC to have better understanding on the subject.

a week before the exam, I realized though my SC skills have drastically improved I lost on RC. Scores were not consistent. I like rythm notes on RC, but it was too late to implement. I managed to improve on both RC and CR skills before the exam, but I were not too sure about RC till the last day. (take away- Consider SC, RC, and CR, as equally important and dont loose track)

Quant: I worked on the base before solving the problems with pace. Gone through the basic books and learn few of the important theorem's commonly tested in GMAT. Having done so, I focused on solving the problems with speed. I threw my calculator and adopted the multipication-division fundamentals of vedic mathmatics for calculation- Irrespective of whether I am solving GMAT problems. This really worked in my favor. Secondly, I prefer mental calculation over using pen and paper for calculation; this drastically increased my speed. As a result, I finished my test with 5 minutes to go.

Do's: Solve GMAT challenges, concentrate on you week areas more than other areas, make notes- specially for SC and review them later, at the begining make your basics right and then go for the speed. Actively participate in GMATclub forum and dont be passive observer. Also, give explanations in your own words rather than just writing Ans A....

Dont's: Dont worry for Kaplan scores, don't do the mistake of neglecting your strong areas and only conentrating on weeker areas. Remember your strong areas will lift your score, as it was quant in my case. Dont spend too much in one particular subject, for e.g. probability in quant, I came across only one question, though I solved it correctly, I am sure my marks wouldnt have changed if I had missed that one. So if you think P&C or probability is too complex, as it is for many, dont go too deep in it, better concentrate in other areas and make your quant stronger. Finally dont get too nervous or too excited- as I got during my exam.

My future startegy:

I shall apply for 2-3 schools in Jan and then give another month to GMAT for my another attempt.

Amar
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1737 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Damn verbal... sorry to hear that bud.

680 is still a very nice score. Ur quant is very impressive.

Im actually kinda suprised to see ur verbal at a 31 since u seem to do very well in the verbal forum.

But then again this exact thing happened to me... and the same verbal score! :shock:
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]
Moderator:
Founder
37301 posts