Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 11:22 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 11:22

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 209 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1537 [0]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [0]
Send PM
Re: Despite the tendency for agricultural farming to replace [#permalink]
E should be it.........Only E shows the pastoral farming is preferred over agricultural.....!!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Send PM
Confused between (B) and (E),

Can any one refute (B).
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Send PM
I think that C is the correct answer. Because, C gives a clear reason why the pastoral farming is not replaced yet all over the greenlands of the world.

E has chronological aspect that supports the second part of the conclusion "there are still very extensive areas on which cattle rearing is still the main occupation." But, E does not support the first part of the conclusion "Despite the tendency for agricultural farming to replace pastoral farming on some of the green lands of the world". Why is the tendency?

What is OA?

srijay007 wrote:
Despite the tendency for agricultural farming to replace pastoral farming on some of the green lands of the world, there are still very extensive areas on which cattle rearing is still the main occupation.

From which of the following statements can the above statement be derived?

(A) The primary product of agricultural farming, cereals, is usually more profitable than the primary product of pastoral farming – dairy related products.

(B) The inhabitants of the tropical grasslands (savanna), which account for a large proportion of the grassland in the world, still prefer cattle rearing to agricultural farming.

(C) In many parts of the world, cattle represent the main item of wealth and cattle raising is, in fact, a fairly successful means of livelihood, often resulting in results equivalent to those of agricultural farming.

(D) While a lot of people employed in the primary sector (farming) have taken to the services sector all over the world, instances of the opposite being true are few and far between.

(E) The conclusion that pastoral farming is a thing of the past is not valid.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 727 [0]
Send PM
E on this one. The later part of C cannot be justified.
CEO
CEO
Send PM
Statement 1: There is a tendency for agricultural farming to replace pastoral farming
Statement 2: But cattle rearing is still the main occupation in many areas
Let X: agricultural farming
Let Y: pastoral farming
Whole argument says: Although X is increasing predominant vis-a-vis Y, Y is still very prevalent.

What could be point which the author wants to substantiate? Statement 1 seems to say that pastoral farming is "passé"(dead) because it is losing ground to agricultural farming. However, statement 2 says that pastoral is still very prevalent; it is an attempt to rebut what is conveyed by statement 1. E says exactly that.

B talks about preferences of a specific area of the world which in no way is challenged by the given argument
C talks about the success of pastoral farming as a means of livelihood which again is out of scope
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 209 [0]
Send PM
OA is C
I also picked E

Nice explanation mallelac
CEO
CEO
Send PM
Nice explanation mallelac. This has to do about "cause and effect". I misinterpreted this question but now see why C is better. E is more similar to the pattern of reasoning of the argument. I think this is a tough one :drunk :wall
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Send PM
C says that "In many parts of the world, cattle represent the main item of wealth."

Do you seriously believe that "the main occupation" translates into "the main item of wealth"??? A red flag flew up and I never got further than this statement. I don't think such a conclusion can be safely drawn from the argument.

I do agree that E employs a inferred conclusion but so does C if you answer "yes" to the question above. There are tons of reasons for the tendency to replace pastoral farming: ecological problems, decrease in grazing areas, you name it. To call pastoral farming passe, however, would be unsubstantiated.
CEO
CEO
Send PM
ob wrote:
C says that "In many parts of the world, cattle represent the main item of wealth."

Do you seriously believe that "the main occupation" translates into "the main item of wealth"??? A red flag flew up and I never got further than this statement. I don't think such a conclusion can be safely drawn from the argument.

I do agree that E employs a inferred conclusion but so does C if you answer "yes" to the question above. There are tons of reasons for the tendency to replace pastoral farming: ecological problems, decrease in grazing areas, you name it. To call pastoral farming passe, however, would be unsubstantiated.

This question is twisted. I think we must look at it more under the perspective of given that A, B, C, D or E are true, could any of them be a reasonable explanation from which we can draw the stated conclusion? We are not interested in the validity of any of the answer choices. We just take them as already true. Indeed, C would be a great answer choice since it gives a very possible explanation as to how:

"Despite the tendency for agricultural farming to replace pastoral farming [...] there are still very extensive areas on which cattle rearing is still the main occupation."

Answer would be, as C says, because:

"cattle represent the main item of wealth and cattle raising is, in fact, a fairly successful means of livelihood"

C would be an evidence from which the conclusion can be drawn or in other words, as the question asked, "a statements from which the above statement can be derived".

Archived Topic
Hi there,
This topic has been closed and archived due to inactivity or violation of community quality standards. No more replies are possible here.
Where to now? Join ongoing discussions on thousands of quality questions in our Critical Reasoning (CR) Forum
Still interested in this question? Check out the "Best Topics" block above for a better discussion on this exact question, as well as several more related questions.
Thank you for understanding, and happy exploring!
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts