Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 17:18 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 17:18

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 85 [8]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Finance
Schools:Wharton, Booth, Stern
 Q49  V42
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 5010 [1]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 71 [1]
Given Kudos: 2
Schools:Tepper '11
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 155 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Strategy, Management, Finance
Schools:Chicago Booth 2011
 Q50  V47
Send PM
[#permalink]
Kudos
Can you provide tips on your RC and CR? Did you take notes at all or just read through and answer?
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 34 [1]
Schools:Chicago Booth 2010
Send PM
[#permalink]
Kudos
Tarmac wrote:
great score.

I got Q49/V48 but only 20 total points higher than you. Where's my 780? :wink:

law of diminishing returns. somebody on this board got a Q50/V51 and still only got a 780.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 71 [1]
Schools:Tepper '11
Send PM
[#permalink]
Kudos
dabots wrote:
Tarmac wrote:
great score.

I got Q49/V48 but only 20 total points higher than you. Where's my 780? :wink:

law of diminishing returns. somebody on this board got a Q50/V51 and still only got a 780.

I understand, I was half joking. HOWEVER, did score 48/41 on a GMATprep and that was a 730. :?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 36 [1]
Schools:Kellogg (R2), UCLA (R2)
Send PM
[#permalink]
Kudos
What ware your verbal and quant percentiles? I got a 49 and 40 and mine ware 89% and 89 %. What does 42 in verbal convert too? Might be a big jump between 40 and 42
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 85 [1]
 Q49  V42
Send PM
[#permalink]
Kudos
To bmwhype2:

I'm lying actually; I also did the 5 verbal challenges, so i did a bit more than 120 CR. My advice on that aspect is not to neglect it. I was too focused on SC, ad I underestimated CR. Thankfully it went on well during the exam, but for all those international students, don't focus TOO much on SC, CR is tough too and needs to be practiced.

To Tarmac:

Tough luck mate :-D Although, more seriously, I think people know how hard it is to progress from 750 to 770; those 20 points are worth much more than progressing from 580 to 600 for example IMO.

To sonibubu:

This is personal, but i know that when I take notes while reading I just lose precious time. I've got a good visual memory, so if I read a text there's a good chance I'll remember where stuff is. For my TOEFL, I took notes for the reading comprehension (that helped), but I'm not a big fan of it. As for CR, I don't see the point to take notes - I did everything mentally.

To Travel09:

89% in quant with a 49 (that really surprised me, I thought I was going to kick arse with that level of quant), and 95% in verbal with a 42, which gave a GMAT percentile of 98%. That just shows you that you have to be at least good in both domains to have a high score.

Hope this helps! If there are any other questions please feel free and shoot. This forum helped me immensely, so I want to give something back.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 302 [1]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Kudos
Audio wrote:
To bmwhype2:

I'm lying actually; I also did the 5 verbal challenges, so i did a bit more than 120 CR. My advice on that aspect is not to neglect it. I was too focused on SC, ad I underestimated CR. Thankfully it went on well during the exam, but for all those international students, don't focus TOO much on SC, CR is tough too and needs to be practiced.

To Tarmac:

Tough luck mate :-D Although, more seriously, I think people know how hard it is to progress from 750 to 770; those 20 points are worth much more than progressing from 580 to 600 for example IMO.

To sonibubu:

This is personal, but i know that when I take notes while reading I just lose precious time. I've got a good visual memory, so if I read a text there's a good chance I'll remember where stuff is. For my TOEFL, I took notes for the reading comprehension (that helped), but I'm not a big fan of it. As for CR, I don't see the point to take notes - I did everything mentally.

To Travel09:

89% in quant with a 49 (that really surprised me, I thought I was going to kick arse with that level of quant), and 95% in verbal with a 42, which gave a GMAT percentile of 98%. That just shows you that you have to be at least good in both domains to have a high score.

Hope this helps! If there are any other questions please feel free and shoot. This forum helped me immensely, so I want to give something back.

Audio, math content wise -- did anything pop up that surprised you? (That is, you hadn't seen some variation of it before?)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 157 [1]
 Q35  V28
Send PM
[#permalink]
Kudos
Great post and nice work on the GMAT!
Current Student
 Q49  V42
Send PM
[#permalink]
Kudos
dominion wrote:

Audio, math content wise -- did anything pop up that surprised you? (That is, you hadn't seen some variation of it before?)

Hi Dominion,

No, nothing really surprised me, it's all in the same style as the OG. It was easier than the gmatclub challenges actually. If you are good with the challenges you'll be fine I reckon.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [1]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Kudos
Great Score.

Can you expand on how you increased your expertise in Sentence Corrections? The 1000 SC series I have seen don't seem to have explanations.

Thanks
Current Student
 Q49  V42
Send PM
[#permalink]
Kudos
rhoeta wrote:
Great Score.

Can you expand on how you increased your expertise in Sentence Corrections? The 1000 SC series I have seen don't seem to have explanations.

Thanks

1000 exercises are useful is you want to practice volume IMO (this has been confirmed by other posters on the forum I think). I would first recommend to practice the basics and learn the theory (from a book such as Manhattan GMAT prep for example). Then I would do the 1000 and the verbal challenges, they are almost as good as the math ones.

What I would also do is seriously browse this website for tips, there is some great advice out here. For example, recognizing the 3/2 structure is very helpful.

To give you some background on myself, my level in English is very good, but my grammar isn't that good; there were some specific rules that I didn't know and some idioms I wasn't familiar with. The Manhattan GMAT book really helped me in that perspective.

Hope this helps...
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 302 [1]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Kudos
Audio wrote:
rhoeta wrote:
Great Score.

Thanks

1000 exercises are useful is you want to practice volume IMO (this has been confirmed by other posters on the forum I think). I would first recommend to practice the basics and learn the theory (from a book such as Manhattan GMAT prep for example). Then I would do the 1000 and the verbal challenges, they are almost as good as the math ones.

What I would also do is seriously browse this website for tips, there is some great advice out here. For example, recognizing the 3/2 structure is very helpful.

To give you some background on myself, my level in English is very good, but my grammar isn't that good; there were some specific rules that I didn't know and some idioms I wasn't familiar with. The Manhattan GMAT book really helped me in that perspective.

Hope this helps...

Audio,

How'd you feel about Quant difficulty versus the GMAT Challenges? The GMAT Challenges felt significantly easier than the GMATPrep test 1 I took... and it's really disturbing me since everyone says the challenges are harder than the test.
Current Student
 Q49  V42
Send PM
[#permalink]
Kudos
dominion wrote:
Audio wrote:
rhoeta wrote:
Great Score.

Thanks

Hope this helps...

Audio,

How'd you feel about Quant difficulty versus the GMAT Challenges? The GMAT Challenges felt significantly easier than the GMATPrep test 1 I took... and it's really disturbing me since everyone says the challenges are harder than the test.

Hmm, that's weird. I also thought that the challenges were more difficult. Maybe the challenge questions are A BIT different (and even then I'm not so sure), but easier than the real thing, I don't think so.

If you have that impression it might be worth working all the OG questions (although I imagine that you've already done that).

Originally posted by Audio on 30 Dec 2007, 01:55.
Last edited by Audio on 01 Jan 2008, 09:01, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [1]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Kudos
Hi Audio,
Congrats on excellent score!!
Would you mind posting your individual scores on Challenges please?

You seem to have taken challenges pretty recently. For folks who are doing chanllenges now, your scores would be really helpful for comparison.

Thanks.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 302 [2]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Kudos
gk2k2 wrote:
Hi Audio,
Congrats on excellent score!!
Would you mind posting your individual scores on Challenges please?

You seem to have taken challenges pretty recently. For folks who are doing chanllenges now, your scores would be really helpful for comparison.

Thanks.

+1!
Current Student
 Q49  V42
Send PM
Re: 750 - Q49 V42 - My GMAT experience [#permalink]
Kudos
I would love to post my results, but for some reason I cannot find the stats page anymore in the tests :?

What I can tell you though is that I took about 15 challenges; in the beginning I was making around 12 mistakes per challenge, I cut it down to 6 more or less. I basically cut the silly mistakes and implemented some problem resolution techniques.

Implementing new problem resolution techniques (like learning to pick the right numbers, etc) is easy, you learn to do it very quickly and it helps. What takes more time is cutting the crap. If you want to score heavily on the GMAT Q section (and probably V too, although to a lesser extent), you really have to reduce those stupid calculation mistakes to virtually nil IMO. I know that made a difference for me.

I'm pretty sure that the problems I could solve were 95% correct; there were a couple that either were too difficult for me or took me too much time, so I guessed (probably 2 or 3 problems, maybe 4, can't really remember)

Sorry I can't help you with the challenges stats! :cry: If it's up again I'll publish it for sure.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 111 [1]
Concentration: Finance, entrepreneurship
Schools:Booth, Stern, Haas
Send PM
Kudos
Audio, congrats with your scores! I am international student too, so I would like to ask you about your progression, which level you started from? I believe you made great job if you managed to increase points by 20 points and decreasing mistakes, can you give some tips, how to decrease mistakes, thanx in advance
Current Student
 Q49  V42
Send PM
Kudos
kazakhb wrote:
Audio, congrats with your scores! I am international student too, so I would like to ask you about your progression, which level you started from? I believe you made great job if you managed to increase points by 20 points and decreasing mistakes, can you give some tips, how to decrease mistakes, thanx in advance

Thanks a lot! My Gmatprep scores were 720 and 750. I took them fairly late, so I wouldn't really be able to tell you how I progressed.

As for mistakes, my first and foremost tip would be: practice, practice and practice. Secondly, it sounds stupid, but read the question carefully: if we speak about a number, it can be positive or negative, integer or not. If the question mentions a positive integer, exclude the other numbers. It sounds stupid, but this cost me a lot of mistakes in the beginning. It's worth taking 5 more seconds per question to carefully read it.
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   3   4   5   
Moderator:
Founder
37297 posts