Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 07:41 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 07:41

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 545 [0]
 Q50  V45
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Send PM
Re: Best GMAT test prep? [#permalink]
My $0.02 - I took the PR course and in the end did worse on the test than when I took it the first time. The will not really help with math, but more so with the strategy to help you eliminate wrong answers, etc. I felt that made it harder for me on the real test, especially when harder questions popped up that I had no clue as to how to solve.

For math review, I have been using the Arco GMAT/GRE book. It has been very helpful, since my biggest problem was remembering basic math (been out of school for 8 yrs).
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 545 [0]
 Q50  V45
Send PM
mtlimatd wrote:
No, I am not married to taking a class. I am glad you mentioned that. I suppose my thinking for taking the class is my insecurity over my math skills.

If that's all it is I would then recommend you buy the MGMAT math books and use them to learn all the math you'll need to know. Veritas Project GMAT is another good one for combinatorics. Then, come on here and answer/ask questions to practice!
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 71 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Schools:Tepper '11
Send PM
I don't recommend classes of any kind, unless they are free.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
you should try out

https://www.800score.com for online they have good material and test.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 69 [0]
 Q48  V39
Send PM
My husband went from a 640 to a 710 after taking the Veritas private tutoring program. He basically focused on math, which is what they are really good at and scored in the top 90% for the math section. (He was pretty good in the beginning and just needed some strategies for the DS though.)

So if you have a hard time in math, Veritas can help you a lot. In verbal, it's a coin flip.

But note that those who score really high usually have a high verbal score. It seems that a few extra points in verbal can result in a 700 going to a 730, but a few extra points in math keeps the score at 700.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 71 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Schools:Tepper '11
Send PM
but going from 640 to 710 is something you can reasonably expect from studying by yourself.

The problem with stories about improvement from courses is that you cannot say for sure what the cause of the improvement was.
GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 693 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
 Q51  V50
Send PM
I think good courses can save time. Working with instructors who have scored above 750 and who have spent years thinking about the GMAT can help you gain insight. A private tutor can examine your scratchwork and suggest time-saving techniques. Classes can also provide discipline for those that need structure. An intelligent and self-disciplined person can get a good GMAT score without them, especially with online forums such as gmatclub, but doing so may take longer.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 552 [0]
Send PM
kevincan wrote:
I think good courses can save time. Working with instructors who have scored above 750 and who have spent years thinking about the GMAT can help you gain insight. A private tutor can examine your scratchwork and suggest time-saving techniques. Classes can also provide discipline for those that need structure. An intelligent and self-disciplined person can get a good GMAT score without them, especially with online forums such as gmatclub, but doing so may take longer.

yeh it does, i am still in the club and have not taken any official.
i can afford for course but cannot afford for a spare time.

good points thanks Kevin
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 223 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Concentration: General Management
Schools:NYU Stern '11
I'm going to say taking a class is really worth it only if you aren't disciplined enough to sit down and make you follow a somewhat structured program of study on your own. I'll also say that I, the uncrowned emperor of procrastination, wasn't that driven to do everything myself, so taking a class made sure I was "preparing" for the test at least 8-10 hours a week. And that helped!

It's really all about how much faith you have in yourself to study effectively on your own.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 552 [0]
Send PM
being in the club is a really good help for me though, but if one is in a rush then better take a course. some of my friends did take a course and got what they had wanted.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Founder
37306 posts