Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 10:16 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 10:16

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 661 [0]
 Q49  V35
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 64 [0]
Send PM
Re: Scientists have recently discovered that the ultrathin, [#permalink]
I go with D as well...much clearer one among the choices..
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1537 [0]
Send PM
1 min.
D is best IMO. C actually changes the meaning as I don't believe that "iridescence" allows any heat retention. Rather, I believe that the "layered construction of the wings" allows that phenomenon
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 209 [0]
Send PM
D is correct

A.wings, the same as the one making some butterflies shimmer via the phenomenon of iridescence, are enabling

should be is (subj: construction)

B: wings, which is the same one that makes some butterflies shimmer via the phenomenon of iridescence, that also enables

not idiomatic (should be same as ...)

C: wings is the same as the one that makes some butterflies shimmer via the phenomenon of iridescence, enabling

changes meaning

E: wings—of the same construction that makes some butterflies shimmer via the phenomenon of iridescence—also enable

should be enables
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Send PM
alert_wf wrote:
Scientists have recently discovered that the ultrathin, wings, the same as the one making some butterflies shimmer via the phenomenon of iridescence, are enabling the insect to control how much heat energy is absorbed by its wings and how much is reflected away.

A: wings, the same as the one making some butterflies shimmer via the phenomenon of iridescence, are enabling

B: wings, which is the same one that makes some butterflies shimmer via the phenomenon of iridescence, that also enables

C: wings is the same as the one that makes some butterflies shimmer via the phenomenon of iridescence, enabling

D: wings—the same construction that makes some butterflies shimmer via the phenomenon of iridescence—also enables

E: wings—of the same construction that makes some butterflies shimmer via the phenomenon of iridescence—also enable

I will go with D for several reasons

-There should be an agreement between ultrathin and enalbes.

-layered construction of a butterfly’s wings is the noun clause that defines ultrathin

-the same construction that makes some butterflies shimmer via the phenomenon of iridescence, if a pronoune is used in this cluase, it will be confusing, is it refering to wing or construction. so the best way is to indicate the noun it self.

I hope my explaination will helps.[/b]
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
OA is D, I choose C as well.
:roll:
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Send PM
Good observation.
My wrong answer was due to my technical background;-) that led to unnecessary extrapolation.

BTW what is IMO?

Paul wrote:
1 min.
D is best IMO. C actually changes the meaning as I don't believe that "iridescence" allows any heat retention. Rather, I believe that the "layered construction of the wings" allows that phenomenon

Archived Topic
Hi there,
This topic has been closed and archived due to inactivity or violation of community quality standards. No more replies are possible here.
Where to now? Join ongoing discussions on thousands of quality questions in our Sentence Correction (EA only) Forum
Still interested in this question? Check out the "Best Topics" block above for a better discussion on this exact question, as well as several more related questions.
Thank you for understanding, and happy exploring!
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
Current Student
278 posts