Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 00:51 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 00:51

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 57 [0]
Concentration: Finance, Strategy, and Accounting
Schools:Chicago Booth
 Q47  V44
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 144 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
Schools: Hong Kong University of Science and Technology (HKUST) - Class of 2010
Send PM
VP
VP
 Q47  V44
Send PM
Re: The evolution of your B-school pursuit [#permalink]
branson wrote:
IMD

I think I wouldnt be happy there, it has no real campus and university attached, at appears to be a hideout for consultants and I bankers who only need the MBA stamp to continue with their careers. I dont see any warmth in the place. - sorry, just my outsider impression -

It's Switzerland, eh? Independence counts. The IMD people might not rush in to hug and kiss you, but in the end of the year these 90 become really interconnected. Remember also, that a 1-year program is more rigorous than a 2-year, so that adds additional strain.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Send PM
helg wrote:
branson wrote:
IMD

I think I wouldnt be happy there, it has no real campus and university attached, at appears to be a hideout for consultants and I bankers who only need the MBA stamp to continue with their careers. I dont see any warmth in the place. - sorry, just my outsider impression -

It's Switzerland, eh? Independence counts. The IMD people might not rush in to hug and kiss you, but in the end of the year these 90 become really interconnected. Remember also, that a 1-year program is more rigorous than a 2-year, so that adds additional strain.

Sure, I just heard many people say that a 1-year program won't allow for time to actually get to know people personally or to breath a minute and think about where you want to go. Not for me. :)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 36 [0]
Schools:Kellogg (R2), UCLA (R2)
Send PM
kryzak wrote:
awesome post helg! It really provided good insight into your thought process and what you learned from the previous year's application. I loved the excerpt of "Why Wharton" from your essays last year. That is one thing GMATClub (among a lot of other things) taught me NOT to do. :)

Lots of Kudos to you!

I'm new to this application process. May be my ignorance, I think its not as bad as eperts here make it sound. Can you explain what was wrong with "Why Wharton" essay in Helg's last year's essay. Is it English or lot of keywords/jargon or is the focus on what Wharton could do for an applicant instead of how he can contribute to Wharton.

The Wharton School is the ideal place where my background and my vision can fuse to bring about my MBA dream. Wharton’s rigorous curriculum is internationally praised for its focus on the development of innovative thinking, deep knowledge of business processes and leadership, all integral features of a successful consultant. And the strong emphasis on general management fundamentals will provide me with the excellent foundation for my future professional growth.

Wharton’s impeccable reputation brings on campus world’s largest consulting companies, many of which have offices in Russia, so I will have many exciting opportunities for finding summer internship and future employment.

Finally, Wharton’s culture supports the growth of leaders with orientation on social aspects of the business, which is something that I have learned to value during my work in XYZ.”
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 166 [1]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Analytic Finance, Economics and Strategic Management
Schools:Chicago Booth Class of 2010
 Q49  V44
Send PM
Kudos
Travel09

There's nothing "wrong", but there's nothing outstanding either. He wrote what TONS of other applicants write, and this is not enough, right helg?

When I see my first drafts it's just like: "Chicago GSB and it's finance recognition...". Hey stop! Am I giving the WoW factor here: NOT!

You need to bring that differently, showing them that you really KNOW thee school, you fit there as the school fits for you. Telling that Columbia, Wharton and Chicago are Finance Powerhouses, that Harvard and Stanford have brilliant alumni is nothing new - and for that I thank you River, as I was writing something like that on my Stanford essay - everybody knows that.

Sorry if I sound harsh.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 69 [1]
Concentration: Healthcare
Schools:Attending Stanford
Send PM
Kudos
Travel09 wrote:
kryzak wrote:

I'm new to this application process. May be my ignorance, I think its not as bad as eperts here make it sound. Can you explain what was wrong with "Why Wharton" essay in Helg's last year's essay. Is it English or lot of keywords/jargon or is the focus on what Wharton could do for an applicant instead of how he can contribute to Wharton.

I think Helg (sorry if I'm being presumptuous here, Helg) was pointing out that his earlier effort at "Why Wharton?" lacked an answer that was Wharton-specific. The things he mentioned (innovative thinking, impeccable reputation, etc.) could be said of most of the top B-schools.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 57 [1]
 Q47  V44
Send PM
Kudos
Right, kwam & terry12! :)

See, Travel09, what you find in my earlier essay is lots of generic phrases that in no way allow me to distinguish myself from other applicants. They are all true, but they are are true in a sense "sky is blue, sun is shining". :)
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 144 [1]
Given Kudos: 10
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
Schools: Hong Kong University of Science and Technology (HKUST) - Class of 2010
Send PM
Kudos
Yes, if you think about what helg wrote... replace Wharton with any other school name, and its still applies. i.e. it is very generic, not specific enough to Wharton and there will be lots of applicants who will write similar essays. If there are lots of similar essays, there is no way that adcom will remember it.

For example, Using Kellogg. They use the 360 Feedback assessment tool and in my essay for Kellogg, I mentioned this and tied it into my experiences of using the same assessment tool (It's used at my company), and how that can be used to develop inter-personal skills from both a supervisor and peer point of view.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 36 [0]
Schools:Kellogg (R2), UCLA (R2)
Send PM
Thanks for the clarification togafoot,helg,terry12,kwam. You are so much better than books. Kudos to you all. I love this forum for what I can learn and more than that users willingness to help others.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 698 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship, Digital Media & Entertainment
Schools:UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
 Q51  V41
GPA: 3.9 - undergrad 3.6 - grad-EE
WE 1: Social Gaming
Send PM
Thank you kwam for the great post! Can't wait to see you get into MIT and Stanford! Complete the GMATClub quest for us! :)

kwam and terry12 said it best, though one addendum I want to add is you *can* boost the school's ego a little bit by saying a sentence like "The Wharton School is the ideal place where my background and my vision can fuse to bring about my MBA dream." or "And the strong emphasis on general management fundamentals will provide me with the excellent foundation for my future professional growth."

BUT

you need to add 1-2 more sentences on specifics of what you mean. For example "Why is the Wharton School an ideal place for your background?" "How does it fuse into your MBA goals?" Talk about some clubs, some classes you visited, some program you know that Wharton has which will show that the place is ideal. Key phrase, "SHOW, DON'T TELL".
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Lol this was so great I had to add my version...

When: Biomedical Research just wasn't kicking it for me. Besides the low pay, I felt that it wasn't fulfilling me (long hours at a bench concentrating hard all alone day in day out) given my super high energy and being an individual who likes to do anything and everything...talk about adult ADD. So early this year, I started thinking about my other love, economics.

What: I told my boyfriend, a Columbia alumna and quant guy. He did not understand why anyone would want to do econ when MBA in his eyes opened so many more options. And thus my journey begun of finding out more about MBA and my sketchy affair with the GMAT. I started prepping in April with the Princeton Review and finished it. However, I could not do the exam any time soon because I had surrendered my passport for reissuing (it was expired) and as an international student I could not take GMAT without a passport. Believing the GMAT to be a walk in the park from my Princeton Review outlook, and with no possibility of even booking the exam until I got my passport, I studied sketchily in May and June. News in June that my country had run out of passport books did not help my motivation. Finally, I got my passport end of July and barely made it to apply for visas for a pre-planned vacation trip to Italy. Lol I come back from Rome end of August all glowing and ready to tackle the GMAT "I had been studying for for 4 months." I decided to polish my studies by doing a few practice tests (GMAT PREP etc) before finally jumping in. Rude Shock...my first real practice test (forget my previous Princeton Review ones), I got a 550. Next one 590. This is September mind you. I got well acquainted with panic attacks as I frantically tried to figure out how to improve my score. At that point even a 601 would have been a gift from the gods..just anything above 600. In my frenzied madness, I found GMAT club and the rest has been almost happily ever after...crossing my fingers for the last part: ADMITTED

Where: Started out thinking ultra-elite. This was before my GMAT prep reality test. Then dissillusionment as I realised demographics or no demographics there was no way I was getting anywhere with a 550. Then my first GMAT which gave me hope to my 2nd GMAT which increased my hope. I think I could have tested better with more practice but I ran out of time. Essays weren't going to be any easier and I had learnt my lesson trivializing this whole B-School application process. So final decision with my GMAT and background: Harvard - hey why pass up my only chance at giving Harvard a try, MIT - my science backround might help, Columbia, My boyfie's alma mater and who can resist the charms of New York, Wharton - it's in my backyard and with a lot of good going on in there, Cornell, same environment as my undergrad and so major familiarity. Bottom line all are great finance schools with great career prospects for finance grads.

The decision: Still waiting...hoping my rants and raves about galavanting in East Africa as a child and young adult will pay off.
VP
VP
 Q47  V44
Send PM
Columbia08 wrote:

Very nice story. Do you plan a Healthcare Major at Wharton? I think it is terrific program.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [0]
Send PM
helg wrote:
Columbia08 wrote:

Very nice story. Do you plan a Healthcare Major at Wharton? I think it is terrific program.

Actually Helg, I want to go into Investment Research with a focus on the healthcare sector. I believe my experience will play a great role in my success on this path.

Originally posted by Columbia08 on 15 Jan 2008, 14:04.
Last edited by Columbia08 on 22 Jan 2008, 16:43, edited 1 time in total.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 41 [2]
Given Kudos: 1
 Q49  V41
Send PM
Kudos
Just found the GMAT club board and thought I'd share my story.

When: Since about my 2nd year of college. I decided I didn't want an undergraduate business degree when I determined business was the way I wanted to go with my life (not Physics research or law). Thus, I decided to stay in liberal arts and round out my thinking style rather than jump into a Comm School education (at UVa). I knew then that I'd be going back for my MBA eventually. About a year and a half into work (Feb 2007) I knew that I'd be applying in the Fall to start 3 years out.

What: I know I want to start my own business within a few years after leaving b-school. Before that I want to be in a strategy role at at Tech or Telecom company or focus on those industries under a strategy consulting role. I'm fairly open though, being early in my career, and imagine I'll pursue a lot of paths during my time at school.

Where: I started my list at 8 schools in three tiers: 1 (Dreams): Kellogg, MIT Sloan, Harvard 2: (Like a lots) UChicago, Columbia 3: (Reasonably sure I could get in to and would like to go to) Yale, UVa, NYU. I decided to apply to Kellogg and Sloan first round - liking them the most out of all the schools - and then saved the rest of the decision making until I finished those two apps. I really like Kellogg and Sloan because of the innovative programs that each have (both having a fairly neat Entrepreneurship and Innovation program and both having fantastic international programming and classes - I have an avid interest in International Business, and international everything). After submitting for Kellogg and Sloan, I narrowed the R2 list to Harvard, Columbia, Yale, and UVa.

Where, NOT: I wanted to be in or near a mega-city (NYC, Chicago, Boston). Thus, my selection of schools (with UVa being on there because its my alma mater). Thus, I tossed Tuck, Michigan, and Duke. I also determined the West Coast isn't the place for me - so out with Stanford, Berkeley, and UCLA (tossing Stanford was a tough one, but I don't want to leave 70% of my network out west). In dropping Chicago and NYU, I just decided the cultures and programs didn't fit well with me.

The decision: Similar to riverripper, I got the Kellogg admit during the first week of December. This made R2 a TON easier - I dropped everything but Harvard (I'd hate myself in 20 years if I didn't atleast try). However, I don't value Harvard above Kellogg or MIT. In fact, I think they're all neck and neck at this point (assuming I got into all - which is stretch anyway). I'm anxiously waiting the MIT Sloan decision date of Jan 28 and will start my heavy decision-making process should I be lucky enough to get an admit.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Send PM
Steel..First of all, welcome to GMATClub. Its like a family riding you through MBA pains (not that you need it)

You should share your stats n story in the Member Profile section
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 44 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
Hi All,

Okay it's time for me to post here too. I've been a lurker for quite awhile here. I believe more than a year already. I really like the tightknit community here, and, well.. it's very different than "the-forum-that-should-not-be-named". LOL.

When: I've known that I wanna do an MBA ever since I graduated out of college (4 years ago). Right after graduation, I don't really know what I wanted to do and begin to start looking for going back to grad school. So I was looking for the right school, the right program, etc. Then on my quest, a cousin of mine whose husband is a Chicago GSBer told me about the MBA degree. She told me to do more research on it, etc. And, I did. I bumped into an MBA community mailing list in my country, which really opened my eyes about the degree, etc. They also pointed me to the infamous BW forum. Then my quest for an MBA begun..

What Part I: I studied on the GMAT and took it the first time 4 years ago.. it was not a good score (low 600s), but since I was running out of time (yeah.. I thought so).. I just go with that score and decided to apply to a school that I think would be quite a reach, because I don't have any work experience, except for a couple of internships & part time work..

Where Part I: I applied to Yale SOM Round 2.. and of course, with no experience, limited prep, and the fastest essay writing ever (1 day), I get a straight ding! No surprise there. So, after months of traveling and soul searching, I embarked my career to the corporate world..

What Part II: Over the next 4 years, I kept my b-school pursuit alive. I tried to tackle the GMAT as early as possible, started a GMAT study group.. but I procrastinated alot.. so, I only managed to took the GMAT in June 2007. I know, this is so dumb, considering I have known for years that I wanted to apply for Class of 2010. But oh well, I guess panicking near deadlines work better for me. Also, for years I have been meeting, chatting, networking with almost every MBA student/alum from my country (we don't really have that many MBAs). I bet people in the mailing list was so confused at me, I've been in the group for so long, they thought I was an alum. Lol.
In 2007, after retaking the GMAT twice (and still didn't get the score I wanted), I tried to let it go and focus on the apps. However, in July 07, I started a new job and I guess I really undermined this factor. I thought I would still have time to do my apps, but I didn't. 3 months in the job required adaptation, acquiring new skills, traveling, etc.. I'm lagging behind my apps.. so.. bye-bye Round I. With round 2 coming up, I think I almost killed myself by doing my essays until 4AM, everyday, and woke up at 8AM to go to work. LOL. Luckily, I managed to submit all my apps in Round 2.

Where Part II: Originally planning to apply to HBS (always my dream school), Stanford, Wharton, Kellogg & Columbia. Then in the middle decided to drop Stanford, because I honestly don't know what to write on their essays. This is sad, considering that Stanford is the only school I actually visited.

The decision: Well, still waiting.. praying every single day to get in :-D
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1649 [1]
Given Kudos: 781
Send PM
Kudos
Just gave you +5 to all of you.

Such inspiring stories ladies and gentlemen. I envy the employers who get to hire you.
VP
VP
 Q47  V44
Send PM
pandeyrav wrote:
I haven't been accepted anywhere yet but a journey is a journey even if you haven't reached the destination. So here goes my story.

When: I first heard of MBA when i was studying in my UG Engineering school. I remember thinking that i would want to do an MBA some day. But getting a job was important which i did and once i got into the midst of action, i quickly forgot about B-School. In 2004-2005 i came to the US for the first time and came to know about all the great B-schools we have here. My desire of getting business education reared its head back again. I promptly bought some books and prepared a study plan. But before i could start anything, i had to rush back to India as my mother-in-law was diagnosed with terminal cancer. B-school plans were shelved and to make matters worse, i could not return back to states in time to extend my visa. After taking a few months to get over the loss, i started thinking about my b-school plans again, but had to quickly give up as my marriage was on rocks. I came back to states in 2006 but was too preoccupied with personal matters to think of b-school. In october 2007, when we finally filed for divorce, i decided to do something positive and go for my MBA instead of sulking around in grief and despair. I took GMAT appointment for the first week of Nov which was 10 days away, prepped a bit and scored a 730. Although i knew i could do better than this, i decided to start working on apps rather than retake GMAT and apply next year.

What: I want to get into startegy and then eventually M & A from startegy and integration perspectives.

Where: This is where i had the biggest problem. I am a very adjusting person. i have no problem adapting to a new place or people. that is what i have done all my life. I did not have much time to research schools and attended receptions in my city for as many schools as i could. From general perception, school websites, rankings etc, i zeroed in on Kellogg, Wharton, Ross, Tuck and Chicago. Due to lack of time, i left out Harvard and Stanford as the probability of getting in there is too low anyway. I could not finish my Tuck app in time and gave up on it as i did not want to submit a bad application. Although i could have waited until next year to apply, I applied this year as by next year my Work Ex would have gone to over 7.5 years which would be on the higher end of school averages, although i am only 28 years old and hence definitely not old. Oh, by the way, i also applied to ISB in under 4 hours and luckily got an interview invite from them. I would not go to ISB unless all my US B-Schools ding me.

The decision: If i were to get admits from all schools i have applied to, the order of my preference would be: Kellogg, Wharton, Ross, Chicago. If a school offered me good $$$, i would surely take it over others.

Great story, pandeyrav. It demonstrates your spirit. I am rooting for you, man!
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7