Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 13:27 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 13:27

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 302 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
 Q44  V49
Send PM
Intern
Intern
 Q44  V49
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Why not much interest in GSB's part time among clubers here? It seems to offer the same curriculum and course content. Now it even offers the exactly same on-campus recruiting.

Its odd that application thread for GSB PT had to be relegated to a separate forum because of lack of interest. In fact there are more PT MBAs at GSB than FTs.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
Re: Format for recommendations [#permalink]
english_august wrote:
Does anyone know the format for recommendations for Chicago GSB PT? Do they just provide some guidelines and a word limit or is it broken down into specific questions?

If you open up a online application account you will find all the info is there including the guidelines for LOR.
Intern
Intern
 Q44  V49
Send PM
[#permalink]
Thanks - I got it now.

As to your question - it's probably because this is the section for the Part Time MBA Programs...but then there is no separate section for Full Time MBA Programs which is probably because amongst the members of GMATClub more people are full time applicants than part time applicants.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Good thread.

I was accepted to the GSB WE MBA (Fall 08) program; will be a fly-in student. Already accepted the offer and am looking forward to the start of classes (a bit early, I know).

Good luck to all.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 332 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Guys

I have a 620 (q 49, V 26). Do you think I have a chance for part time in GSB Chicago. Pls advice.

Also how is PT different from FT other than there are no internships.

Thanks
SS
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Since I was on cross roads between Executive MBA and PT MBA, I checked with their Admissions coordinator -she mentioned that my score of 620(44/31) would not eliminate me from consderation.

They look at academics and GMAT and then look at Experience.

Good Luck
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
Quote:
I have a 620 (q 49, V 26). Do you think I have a chance for part time in GSB Chicago. Pls advice.

As has been mentioned many times before, the GMAT is only one part of the application, so i don't think that a 620 will keep you out of contention. In other words you could have great experience and write killer essays, and 620 won't be an issue. That being said, the GMAT is one of the few elements of the application that you have control over, so why not try it again to increase your chances of admission? That is, unless you think that you've already given it your best shot. The GSB will only take into account the highest score. Looking at your score breakdown, the quant portion is already excellent, so you only need to improve on your verbal (I know, easier said than done, but there are some very good guides out there - brouse this site for advice on which ones are good).

Quote:
Also how is PT different from FT other than there are no internships.

Off the top of my head:
1) Courses: same courses (20), but FT students are also required to take LEAD, whereas this is optional for PT students.
2) Location: FT classes are at the Harper Center (although some FT students opt to take some at the Gleacher Center); PT classes are at the Gleacher Center
3) Number of classes per term: FT students take 4 or 5 classes per term, I believe; PT students typically only take two, but if you have some spare time, there's nothing stopping you, as a PT student, from taking the a full load (I know a few students who have done so - they are still technically PT students, but decided to quit their job and are taking 4 classes to finish their MBA earlier).
4) Professors: same for FT and PT
5) Recruiting: I don't know as much (so if someone knows otherwise, please correct me), but the jist of it is that PT students don't get access to summer internships. PT students have access to recruiting activities under certain circumstances (I would *assume* you'd be ok if you haven't received any financial aid from your employer and/or if you get a letter from your employer stating that it's ok to participate in those activities). I have read repeatedly on various forums that some employees prefer FT students, so that is something to keep in mind. Once you graduate, I believe that you have the same access to career services as any alumns, which, I gather, are very extensive. From talking to alumns and current students, they all stated that the GSB's career services are top notch.
6) Admission: I'm going to focus on the GMAT, since the other parts are a function of the individual applicant (and again, the GMAT is only one part of the application). I don't have the numbers in front of me, but for the FT program the avg GMAT score is probably around 710. For the PT program it's probably around 690. Having said that, I have yet to meet a PT student whose score was below 700. Of course, assuming a bell curve and and avg of 690, then for every 750 out there there should be a 630 who got admitted.

I haven't started my classes yet, so it would be great if a current student could shed further light/insider view into some of these aspects.

One last note: The admissions team at the GSB does many presentations in the US (and in some cities around the world, I believe): I attended two of them and they answer all sorts of questions (alumni and/or current students are there as well). It is very informative and I urge you to check their schedule on the GSB's web site to see if they will be in your city or nearby.

Hope this helps.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Concentration: Econ
Schools:Chicago Booth
Send PM
Re: Calling all Chicago GSB PT 2008 applicants [#permalink]
Has anyone applied recently to the GSB Part-Time program?

I am working on my essays now and plan on applying Summer session
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 322 [0]
Send PM
**Edited**

Originally posted by mbawaters on 14 Jan 2008, 20:57.
Last edited by mbawaters on 24 Feb 2008, 07:39, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Quote:
Guys, I'm in as well for summer 08. Probably for weekend program.

Congratulations!
Judging by the fact that you are considering a summer 08 start (vs fall) and that you are also applying at K (I noticed your name in another thread), I assume that you are from Chicago or its surroundings, correct?

Congrats again and hope to see you in class :-D
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Yeah I am from just outside Chicago, I am still up in the air about Summer or Fall however.

Has anyone applied for the PT Spring or Fall yet?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hey Guys,

Its good to see a lot of folks in the same boat as I am (although must admit I've just started out with my application process, so mine is still just a wodden log than a boat...pj).

I'm looking at applying for GSB & Kellogg PT too. Based on what I spoke to a couple of folks who are currently already in various b-schools, I was given the impression that it normally takes around 3 months to complete a good application. Can someone here validate the same?

Another unrelated question, if you are accepted to a b-school how much time does the school provide for you to respond back and confirm?

Cheers
Manager
Manager
Send PM
I am not sure if it takes that long

right now I am working on the second drafts for my GSB essays, I finished the second drafts of my Kellogg ones last night and I started about a month ago.

I am sure however I have many drafts to go before I actually press the submit button for my app.

I am aiming for Mid-Feb, that is when I am scheduling my interviews so I hope to both of them done around that time.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Quote:
Based on what I spoke to a couple of folks who are currently already in various b-schools, I was given the impression that it normally takes around 3 months to complete a good application. Can someone here validate the same?

Took me about 2 months: this included about a dozen drafts for the essays, sitting down and following up with my two recommenders and filling the application questionnaire (this last part can be done in one or two days). Time does not include GMAT. In reality you could complete an application more quickly, but it's good to take a break after a few drafts and go back and re-read the essays two weeks later.

Quote:
Another unrelated question, if you are accepted to a b-school how much time does the school provide for you to respond back and confirm?

After I received the acceptance letter from the GSB I was given 2 weeks to respond/accept and about two months to submit my official GMAT and transcripts.

Good luck.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Own Kudos [?]: 3083 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE:Business Development (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Re: [#permalink]
olderguy wrote:
Why not much interest in GSB's part time among clubers here? It seems to offer the same curriculum and course content. Now it even offers the exactly same on-campus recruiting.

Its odd that application thread for GSB PT had to be relegated to a separate forum because of lack of interest. In fact there are more PT MBAs at GSB than FTs.

You know, I think thats a common misconception. There are quite substantial differences actually. I know several people who switched from PT to FT (note: its not easy to do, you have to re-apply) because they were not happy with the PT resources.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Own Kudos [?]: 3083 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE:Business Development (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Re: [#permalink]
Quote:
1) Courses: same courses (20), but FT students are also required to take LEAD, whereas this is optional for PT students.

The same courses are available, but there are two caveats. First, not all professors teach evening courses, so although the course is open to PT, if you work full time, you may not have the ability to necessarily take the course with professor X. Second caveat is bidding - full timers get first dibs on courses at Hyde Park, part timers get second dibs. Its not a huge deal, but it does mean that you might not get to take classes with some of the more famous profs. Depending on how much you care about things like that, its either a non-issue or a pretty big deal breaker.

Quote:
2) Location: FT classes are at the Harper Center (although some FT students opt to take some at the Gleacher Center); PT classes are at the Gleacher Center

Also correct.

Quote:
3) Number of classes per term: FT students take 4 or 5 classes per term, I believe; PT students typically only take two, but if you have some spare time, there's nothing stopping you, as a PT student, from taking the a full load (I know a few students who have done so - they are still technically PT students, but decided to quit their job and are taking 4 classes to finish their MBA earlier).

Very few people take 5. Three to four is the norm in FT.

Quote:
4) Professors: same for FT and PT

Mostly true, exceptions likely due to schedules.

Quote:
5) Recruiting: I don't know as much (so if someone knows otherwise, please correct me), but the jist of it is that PT students don't get access to summer internships.

There is a difference here, some of it official, some of it not. For instance, yes, internship recruiting is different - PT can't recruit for it. There are other smaller differences as well, for instance, PTs get a different name badge than FTers to distinguish them. Its a tiny detail but its often used to stop PTs from attending FT only recruiting events. In general, there is also a pretty strong bias for FT students when it comes to recruiting. Its also worth mentioning that PT students are generally not allowed to join FT clubs (eg the IMG club or whatever). Thats a pretty big issue depending on what you want to do.

The single biggest complaint I hear though is that the FT career services office is amazing and the PT career services office is horrible. I don't unfortunately know specifics, but many of the people I know who started PT and switched to FT did so in part do to the much more limited recruiting resources available.

If someone wants I can ask one of the people who switched what exactly the issues were, these are just the things I've heard.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Rhyme,

Thanks for your insightful post (as well as those in the FT forum/threads, which I invite other to read).

Quote:
not all professors teach evening courses, so although the course is open to PT, if you work full time, you may not have the ability to necessarily take the course with professor X

Fully agree. However, I did notice that there are quite a few notable professors teaching evenings and weekends. Granted, they may not teach all the time to PT students; however given the flexibility of the curriculum, the way I look at it is that I can always wait and see if the course is taught by a specific prefessor the following year (of course this may also be tricky because of prerequisites in one's chosen concentration).

Quote:
Second caveat is bidding - full timers get first dibs on courses at Hyde Park, part timers get second dibs.

I would imagine that this also works the other way around, am I correct? In other words, don't PT students get first dibs on courses offered at the Gleacher Center? This may not be so much of an issue, since I imagine that FT students pretty much stick to courses at the Harper Center. Mostly my curiosity.

Quote:
PTs get a different name badge than FTers to distinguish them. Its a tiny detail but its often used to stop PTs from attending FT only recruiting events. In general, there is also a pretty strong bias for FT students when it comes to recruiting.

Thanks for the info (I didn't do as much research into that because I plan on moving within my company, but it may be useful info to others applying). In a way the GSB is better than other schools, which don't allow you to join recruiting activities at all as a PT student. Curious: would you happen to know how may PT students take part in recuiting events (rough number)?

Quote:
PT students are generally not allowed to join FT clubs (eg the IMG club or whatever). Thats a pretty big issue depending on what you want to do.

True. It should also be mentioned that PT students have their own clubs (complete list available on the GSB web site). Perhaps you or one of your friends can shed some light on student involvement in those?

Feel free to share any additional info you may have: there is a lack of posts from people on the inside on this thread. I think that in general people applying to the PT program have realistic expectations of what they will and what they won't be getting (it's not the same "experience" as a FT program and the PT program is designed for a demographic with different goals in mind), but making informed decisions based on sound data, such as the one that you and hopefully others provide, can't hurt :-D

Thanks,

Flyguy
P.S. Don't worry: nothing you say will change my mind. I'm *very* happy with my decision to join the GSB :-D
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2