Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 10:06 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 10:06

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 107 [0]
 Q49  V45
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 265 [0]
Send PM
Re: Calling all the Harvard Gurus - Fall'08 [#permalink]
forcefeed, nice! WoW! Congrats!
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 34 [0]
Schools:Chicago Booth 2010
Send PM
congrats!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Send PM
Dinged as expected.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Send PM
Wow, ff and jj (maybe I should change my username to rhyme better :) )! A little late but Congrats!!!

Originally posted by BCC145 on 16 Jan 2008, 18:19.
Last edited by BCC145 on 16 Jan 2008, 22:37, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Thanks guys!!! I remember back in the summer I was not even sure if I would apply to HBS, a few members on here convinced me to give it a shot and it really paid off. No matter how ridiculous it may seem, always apply to a stretch school, you never know what can happen.

Ok, below are some small suggestions on HBS' application that will hopefully be helpful for the R2 & R3'ers as well as next years applicants. If anyone has more specific questions, please let me know. I will try to address them as best I can.

Essays
The most important thing here is to decide what you really want to convey to the adcom and what stories you will tell. For HBS I suggest that each example displays your leadership ability, and shows that you posses qualities that are critical to leading effectively. Everyone's definition of leadership varies so I suggest that you follow your own belief (personally I think decisiveness, vision, and confidence are critical to leadership). Then you will have to decide which stories line up with the essay questions, which I don't believe is too difficult with HBS' broad range of questions. If you can, take a novel approach to answering a question. I ended up completely changing my culture shock essay 10 days before submitting the application because I realized that culture shock can include much more than travels to other countries.

I suggest that you have your essays reviewed by multiple people, I had two sisters, a current HBS student, and a professional editing service review my essays. If you are a very technical person (Engineer or in IT) I suggest that you have non-technically oriented people review your essays. Always remember that it is your application though and you have the final say in what changes and what stays. While I am on the topic of editing, I have to plug Edit Avenue (https://www.editavenue.com). I had all of my essays reviewed by Fin&Marketing and she was able to provide copy editing and advice on content without charging the ridiculous MBA admissions consultant fees.

I believe the most difficult part of the HBS' essays is meeting the ridiculously short word limits. I ended up removing many of the details from each story and had my editors confirm that the essays still made sense. The essays also lacked smooth transitions because those often take a lot of words. My essays were not pulitzer prize winning works, don't worry if writing is not your strong point, I believe it is one of my weaker points. As long as you can clearly show and not tell your story, your writing should be OK.

Interview
First off, if you get an interview invitation, congrats! When I met my interviewer, I was a little intimidated because he seemed like the type of person that would thoroughly grill you and take pleasure in breaking you down. It turns out that it was actually a very enjoyable experience, and had to be the most comfortable interview I have ever had. I believe everyone is interviewed by an HBS adcom, and it is not a blind interview. The adcom will know your profile very well, and have specific areas that they want to probe into. I prefer this approach because I did not find myself recycling my essay and resume material, it was obvious they already knew that well because it would be used as a spring board for their question.

The only piece of advice I can really offer for the interview is to know yourself!!! I know it sounds stupid, but they will start asking about things you barely even mention in the essays. I spent ~10mins of the interview talking about a topic that was not mentioned in my essays, but he knew my profile well enough to read between the lines. Keep your cool throughout the interview, and if needed, take a second to think things over or ask them to repeat the question. Some people just get too wound up and tense which then makes them panic and blow the interview. I listened to some Linkin Park & Jay-Z before the interview and it got me pumped up and in the right mood, being in the right mental state is half of the battle.

I walked out of the interview very satisfied with how things went. I knew that I put my best foot forward, and had no regrets.

Now it is time to get ready for a 1.5 week trip to Rio de Janeiro, the perfect present to myself :-D. Nothing better than the beach, caipirinhas, and beautiful brazilian women :lol:.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 39 [0]
Given Kudos: 148
Schools:Baruch / Zicklin
 V3
Send PM
^ warning about Brazil - you may never want to come back! :lol:

Excellent debrief. And best of luck, yaar!
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Send PM
Great debrief and congratulations once again. Where's the new avatar (In case you have decided to go to H)?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Send PM
awesome dudes............congrats an rock on
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 57 [0]
Concentration: Finance, Strategy, and Accounting
Schools:Chicago Booth
 Q47  V44
Send PM
forcefeed, JJGooden, awesome news! Huge congrats!!! :cool
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Send PM
Wow congrats forcefeed and jj...AMAZING job guys!
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 166 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Analytic Finance, Economics and Strategic Management
Schools:Chicago Booth Class of 2010
 Q49  V44
Send PM
Force, Are you going at the Carnival? Oh man, I wish I could be in Brazil right now...

If you really want to see the best women in the world you must go south in Brazil (Florianopolis is the best), but still Rio has really some good stuff there.

If you need some tips PM me.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
 Q50  V44
Send PM
mNeo wrote:
Great debrief and congratulations once again. Where's the new avatar (In case you have decided to go to H)?

Ya, just in case you decide to go..... :wink:
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Concentration: Entrepreneurship
Schools:MIT
Send PM
Harvard ding :(

Congrats Forcefeed, JJ!
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Send PM
Round 1:

forcefeed - Admitted
JJGooden - Admitted
collegesenior - Interviewed, then dinged
ncprasad
kripal
aurobindo
saurabh357
jjanders
deepuaries
grad_mba
poochandi
gnr646
sensation
jpjazzman
tsaditya - Dinged
faceman - Dinged
helg - Dinged
terry12 - Dinged
nnabros - Dinged
MGOBLUE2 - Dinged
KingKREEP - Dinged
---

Round 2:

mNeo
bherronp
JamieK
casbroker
nsulham
hsampath
elhajoui
BCC145
just4u1530
vchhaochharia
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 73 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
WE 1: Hi-tech Product Development
Send PM
DWI. But this doesn't hurt nearly as Wharton did ...
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [0]
Send PM
kwam wrote:
Force, Are you going at the Carnival? Oh man, I wish I could be in Brazil right now...

If you really want to see the best women in the world you must go south in Brazil (Florianopolis is the best), but still Rio has really some good stuff there.

If you need some tips PM me.

It will actually be right before carnival, hopefully I will be able to make a few of the samba school practices. I'll try to hit Florianopolis on my 2nd trip there, I wouldn't want to set the standard too high :wink:. I'll definetly shoot you a PM.

Oh, and for those of you wondering about the avatar... It's actually a little tough to let go of GSB. The school is so perfect for me and I have dreamed about it for so long (HBS wasn't even a dream till '07), that I still want to think it over before committing to HBS. I am a 90% lean to HBS but I wish I could go to both schools. I also need to find a creative avatar like the rest of you :lol:.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Send PM
anyone got waitlisted w/o an interview (this is my current obsession topic for all schools :)
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  17   18   19   20   21   22   23  ...  30   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts