Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 04:27 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 04:27

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1649 [0]
Given Kudos: 781
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Send PM
Re: Should I explain a 3.4 GPA? [#permalink]
3.4 is still a decent GPA. If you don't really have a story to tell as to why your grades went down or were all over the map, I wouldn't say anything. How's your GMAT? Any doubts the Adcom members have could be cleared with a great GMAT score.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Why would you explain a 3.4 GPA? Would you explain why a 720 GMAT score wasn't a 750? And how could your grades be all over the place? To end up with a 3.4 you'd have to basically get All A's and B's with maybe a couple of Cs thrown in.

If anything you might consider attempting to explain why you got a 2.8 in your senior year, everybody says schools like to see an upward trend. If you don't have a good reason, i'd just let it ride. A 3.4 GPA is very good, that shouldn't hold you back from anything, assuming your major was something respectable, and not Phys Ed.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 698 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship, Digital Media & Entertainment
Schools:UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
 Q51  V41
GPA: 3.9 - undergrad 3.6 - grad-EE
WE 1: Social Gaming
Send PM
Ay Ay Sir! Will put this in the knowledge vault.

As for the GPA, 3.4 is NOT a bad GPA at all. If you read books like Montauk, the GPA they use to qualify you for certain schools stop at 3.5. Above that it's just gravy. I believe the Haas and Stanford ranges for mid 80% is 3.2-3.8.

With bad math/quant classes, you might need to get a better Q score on the GMAT to compensate, or take more quant classes at community colleges to prove that you can do quant. Outside of that, there's no reason to explain your GPA.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 223 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Concentration: General Management
Schools:NYU Stern '11
bear in mind grade inflation is rampant at some undergraduate schools (stanford/brown, i'm looking at you)...and not so much at others (chicago, dean's list and college honors at 3.25)

so i'm pretty sure a 3.4 is well within the generally acceptable range.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 44 [0]
Send PM
I don't think you should explain it to any schools, especially if you're talking about putting this explanation in the optional essays. Remember, they're the last question in your application, you don't want this part to be the one thing that the adcom remembers you for.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 332 [0]
Send PM
Hmmm. I better use the optional essay to explain my 730 gmat. :oops:
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Own Kudos [?]: 3083 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE:Business Development (Consumer Products)
Send PM
I don't follow how you can have a 3.4 but have grades all over the map...
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Send PM
solaris1 wrote:
bear in mind grade inflation is rampant at some undergraduate schools (stanford/brown, i'm looking at you)...and not so much at others (chicago, dean's list and college honors at 3.25)

so i'm pretty sure a 3.4 is well within the generally acceptable range.

for realz.....it's extremely unfair....its like we're getting punished for going to a tough school....
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 806 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General/Operations Management
Schools:Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
 Q49  V42
Send PM
I think only you can answer this question. I had a 3.4 but wrote an optional essay on it. Yes my overall GPA was strong but I had a bad sophomore year (sub 3.0) followed by a two years of 3.7+. The problem was I had a few weak grades in important classes for b-schools (math ones). I did very well later on though in quant heavy courses like fluid dynamics and strengths of materials and did fairly well (48, 85%) on the gmat quant section. I had a true and valid reason for a crappy sophomore year so I wrote about that. This I think added to my show of growth not just academically but focus wise and probably helped.

That said I think a 3.4 with terrible english and humanities electives is a lot better than math. I think my math is what sunk my chances at GSB since it has such a strong quant rep that a bad math grade scares them...MIT actually asked for some math grades so they obviously care more about those than other courses. That said a 3.4 is a very solid GPA and if you were a steady 3.4 for all four years and no obvious weakpoints then trying to explain it will be like trying to explain a 690 gmat score.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thanks for all your help. I think I've convinced myself not to mention it in my app. I guess my grades were not really "all over the map"... basically all A's and B's with a few C's. I was an Economics major at a top-15 school with a tough grading system. However, the few C's were in economics/finance classes. Also, the low GPA my senior year was followed by a 3.9 my last semester. Just to shed more light on the topic, my GMAT was 720 (48Q 41V) and the avg score for my program is just above 690. I'm just hoping they won't focus on the C's and my one horrible semester and that the adcom will place more weighting on the rest of my app.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 32 [0]
Send PM
Quote:
quant heavy courses like fluid dynamics and strengths of materials

Thanks RR- now I shall have nightmares again...thought that I had heard the last of these but now you bring back terrible memories... :twisted:
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 332 [0]
Send PM
finance423 wrote:
Thanks for all your help. I think I've convinced myself not to mention it in my app. I guess my grades were not really "all over the map"... basically all A's and B's with a few C's. I was an Economics major at a top-15 school with a tough grading system. However, the few C's were in economics/finance classes. Also, the low GPA my senior year was followed by a 3.9 my last semester. Just to shed more light on the topic, my GMAT was 720 (48Q 41V) and the avg score for my program is just above 690. I'm just hoping they won't focus on the C's and my one horrible semester and that the adcom will place more weighting on the rest of my app.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that you'll be ok in the gpa/gmat department. Work on your essays. Make a convincing argument.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
I don't think a 3.4 GPA is really considered low at all. You have 95percentile GMAT...I don't think a 3.4 GPA is going to stir up any glaring issues from the Adcoms.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 806 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General/Operations Management
Schools:Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
 Q49  V42
Send PM
wow back from the dead.
GMAT Club Bot