Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 04:23 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 04:23

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 36 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 32 [0]
Send PM
Re: Calling Chicago GSB 2008 applicants [#permalink]
Apparently the invitations are being pushed back by a week- they will go out from 30th according to the adcomm's post on the gsb forums

nervousgmat wrote:
So, I've heard that the interview invites will start rolling out tomorrow?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Own Kudos [?]: 3083 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE:Business Development (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Prodigy wrote:
adcxaway wrote:
with a name like prodigy, you're a definite admit ;)

Thanks ADC even though we both know I named myself :lol: The interesting thing is, I know I have a strong application, but I keep worrying the GSB will find some way to make me do a deferred enrollment.

What would be wrong with that?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 806 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General/Operations Management
Schools:Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
 Q49  V42
Send PM
Pushing back interviews...hmmm makes me wonder what R2 numbers are like.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Send PM
Prodigy wrote:

miserable GMAT score :roll:

I think my application is actually one of the very few times where a poor GMAT score adds some credibility to an application.

Any plans for retaking GMAT?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 806 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General/Operations Management
Schools:Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
 Q49  V42
Send PM
I hate to say it but a low GMAT never does anyone any good.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Quote:
What would be wrong with that?

Rhyme,

I'm trying to go into the education sector. Given the sorry state of affairs, and the disastrous consequences of our failing schools, I feel that much more pressed to fix the situation. The sooner I can start the better. There's also the issue of someone stumbling upon my idea in the time that I'm waiting around to get into b-school. I keep up with all the education news, and I hear bits and pieces of my business concept floating around in different school districts. Its only going to take so long before someone else strings them together (if they haven't already). Even that might not bother me so much, except that I worry someone else might think of it and not execute it with the same emphasis on social responsibility that I would. That said, if I can get in but only if I defer enrollment, I'd still be okay with that.

Quote:
Any plans for retaking GMAT?

toDoor,

Not at all. I can't afford it. I could barely afford to take the first one. This is probably one of the worst things about applying straight from UG, I just don't have the money to do the things other people with jobs can. And even if I had the money for something like a GMAT prep course, my schedule (working part time, full class schedule, very active campus activities) wouldn't have left time for it. I'm less worried about getting in than I am about paying for it.

Quote:
I hate to say it but a low GMAT never does anyone any good.

Don't I know it. It is the *only* thing I can think of that would really put a wrench on my whole application. The annoying part is that I'm not incompetent at math, but they'll see my transcripts anyway.

Edited to add: River, I think I misread what you meant... A low GMAT won't HELP me, but it might not hurt as much as it would for others.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
 Q51  V42
Send PM
Prodigy wrote:
I'm trying to go into the education sector. Given the sorry state of affairs, and the disastrous consequences of our failing schools, I feel that much more pressed to fix the situation. The sooner I can start the better. There's also the issue of someone stumbling upon my idea in the time that I'm waiting around to get into b-school.

Well, so I read it like what matters to you is not the improvement in school system but that YOU do it.

Sorry Praet, I sometimes can't restarin myself from making these reactions.

On a separate note, I plan to do something for welfare of a specific group of patients, and I wrote my whole idea of how I want to accomplish that in my essays with a hope that even if I do not get in, someone might pick up that idea. I would actually prefer if someone does, I would rather have many constructive ideas than have one and spend all the time working on that.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
hbs.aspirant wrote:
Well, so I read it like what matters to you is not the improvement in school system but that YOU do it.

On a separate note, I plan to do something for welfare of a specific group of patients, and I wrote my whole idea of how I want to accomplish that in my essays with a hope that even if I do not get in, someone might pick up that idea. I would actually prefer if someone does, I would rather have many constructive ideas than have one and spend all the time working on that.

It's unfortunate that you couldn't restrain yourself this time because if you would have read the rest of what I said, you'd have noticed that I want to make sure the emphasis of the idea is on social responsibility. There are many good education programs out there that ignore the people who need help the most in favor of making the most profit. I don't want a good idea to go to waste like that.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
 Q51  V42
Send PM
Prodigy wrote:
hbs.aspirant wrote:

It's unfortunate that you couldn't restrain yourself this time because if you would have read the rest of what I said, you'd have noticed that I want to make sure the emphasis of the idea is on social responsibility. There are many good education programs out there that ignore the people who need help the most in favor of making the most profit. I don't want a good idea to go to waste like that.

I did read the entire post. What I am trying to say is that you are giving too much emphasis on the fact that you are the only one who will do it the "right way".
Perhaps I was biased, because I have known more than 5 people going to top schools (read H/S) with a similar socially responsible/education idea and demonstarting a PRESSING need and then have been working in management consultancy and finance for over 2 years. The presing need seems to have vanished now.

From your response, you are honest and serious, I accept I am wrong.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 265 [0]
Send PM
I actually admire prodigy's honesty about believing that his way is the right way to implement his vision.
If I had an idea that I thought would transform the educational system in the U.S., one of my priorities would be to make sure that my idea stays mine.
Obviously, I would want to be the one executing the idea in the future, and I would hate to see someone else implementing a similar idea first. I understand the rush prodigy is feeling. I only wish I came up with something that could potentially impact so many people in a positive way.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [1]
 Q51  V42
Send PM
Kudos
nervousgmat wrote:
Obviously, I would want to be the one executing the idea in the future, and I would hate to see someone else implementing a similar idea first.

That is definitely true if your idea is driven by your own desires of success and fame. If the idea is really driven by pressing need, then "as soon as possible" implementation would be priority.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Quote:
What I am trying to say is that you are giving too much emphasis on the fact that you are the only one who will do it the "right way".
Perhaps I was biased, because I have known more than 5 people going to top schools (read H/S) with a similar socially responsible/education idea and demonstarting a PRESSING need and then have been working in management consultancy and finance for over 2 years. The presing need seems to have vanished now.

From your response, you are honest and serious, I accept I am wrong.

Thanks for hearing me out. I don't know that I'm the ONLY one who can do it right, but I have a certain vision of how I think things should go in order to be most helpful. There are a number of ways my idea could be perverted and I really don't want to see that happen. It sucks that you know so many people who used the backs of people in need to propel their way to success, and their success alone. The thing that will prevent me from doing the same is that I've really experienced America's crappy school systems myself and I've seen it fail many friends and family members. I'm not just on the outside looking in on poor people, I'm actually a part of that group. So it may sound pompous, but I believe I have a lot more insight to the way things work (or don't work) than the vast majority of people... even those who want to help.

This is sort of what I meant when I said I thought my GMAT would lend some credibility. I know whats its like to get back test scores that don't reflect your ability because you either can't pay to get help or your education has failed you somehow. That frustration just makes me want to solve the problem more.

Quote:
I actually admire prodigy's honesty about believing that his way is the right way to implement his vision.
If I had an idea that I thought would transform the educational system in the U.S., one of my priorities would be to make sure that my idea stays mine.

Thanks NervousGmat... though I am female :-D I think there is a certain amount of selfishness in me too. For which I won't apologize. The reality is that if someone were to take my idea right now, I'd have to spend the next few years trying to figure out something else to do. Imagine dedicating your whole life to a cause, only to have someone else solve it altogether when you're only 21. That's a lot of free time for the next few decades if you can't find another passion to drive you. I'd get over it, but still... that would suck for me.

As for HBS' comment about success and fame... I think there is a false dichotomy that says you can't have success and fame and be dedicated toward helping people. My idea links profits inextricably with the success of the students I'd help.

A little more background on my application, since it will put things more into perspective for people:
I have my business plan already written for the most part. Its missing some things like info on a management team because right now its really just me (another reason for going to b-school). My recs came from the director of the UG Entrepreneurship program at my university and from another business woman who does work in the American school system and is familiar with schooling in parts of Asia (I borrow ideas from Japan and Singapore pretty extensively).

I don't have a ton of corporate exp. like the majority here. In fact, I have none. But my experiences in education (through volunteer work in a variety of student programs at the administrative level and as a result of having moved through a number of different school systems) lends itself better to what I want to do. I have the right experience I need to reach my goal... a goal that has nothing to do with getting into finance or consulting at a big name corporation. :-D
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 57 [0]
Concentration: Finance, Strategy, and Accounting
Schools:Chicago Booth
 Q47  V44
Send PM
Prodigy wrote:
The reality is that if someone were to take my idea right now, I'd have to spend the next few years trying to figure out something else to do. Imagine dedicating your whole life to a cause, only to have someone else solve it altogether when you're only 21. That's a lot of free time for the next few decades if you can't find another passion to drive you.

If your cause is improving the whole (high?)school educational system is such a big country as the U.S., I wouldn't be afraid of someone coming and solving the whole affair, leaving you with nothing else to improve 8-) It's not like you spent months collecting $$$ to build a playground in a neighbouhood park and then a local businessman came up with a hefty donation making your efforts look worthless. I mean, if the system is as troubled as it sounds, there will always be opportunity to improve it.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hmm... I think people might be missing the point here. I wouldn't be mad if tomorrow the world was a perfect place to live in. I'd just wonder what my purpose would be... what I should focus on, etc. It sounds selfish but I'd argue that this is part of the human condition. Striving for things, trying to solve problems... its what motivates all of us, whether we are trying to save the world or pay our bills. In a perfect world, what would humans do?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]
Send PM
Prodigy wrote:
Striving for things, trying to solve problems... its what motivates all of us, whether we are trying to save the world or pay our bills. In a perfect world, what would humans do?

we saw this in The Matrix (!!!) when Agent Smith, et al created a perfect, happy fake world and humans rejected it. that's deep. yeah.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Send PM
sudden wrote:
we saw this in The Matrix (!!!) when Agent Smith, et al created a perfect, happy fake world and humans rejected it. that's deep. yeah.

Noooo .. the Architect did! Agent Smith was just an artificial intelligence installed in the Matrix. :P

But I see your point.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hah! I was actually thinking more in terms of Star Trek... you know, boldly going where no (wo)man has gone before? But I'm a sci-fi junkie, so almost anything in that genre reiterates my main point. I know there are lots of other problems out there worth solving, but I'm woefully equipped to even try solving 99% of them.
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  65   66   67   68   69  ...  135   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts