Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 06:06 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 06:06

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 144 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
Schools: Hong Kong University of Science and Technology (HKUST) - Class of 2010
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 464 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 698 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship, Digital Media & Entertainment
Schools:UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
 Q51  V41
GPA: 3.9 - undergrad 3.6 - grad-EE
WE 1: Social Gaming
Send PM
Re: Toughest/Interesting question you've had [#permalink]
congrats sperinko!!!

My toughest question came from UCLA Anderson.

"What areas do you believe Anderson is weak on compared to other schools you are applying to?"

That threw me for a loop, because usually they ask what you like about the school as compared to other schools (i.e. what's "Unique" about the school), but this one got me. Since I could not say "your admissions office", and Anderson actually had the BEST and most supportive entrepreneurship program of all the schools I applied to (unexpected, but true), I had to say something about the lack of high-tech focus of Anderson compared to other schools I was applying to (which gave away that I applied to Stanford and Haas). It wasn't my best answer, but I did state that I truly believed Anderson has one of the best entrepreneurship programs out there.

good thread, added to knowledge vault.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 36 [0]
 Q48  V39
Send PM
sperinko, congrats!!!
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 34 [0]
Schools:Chicago Booth 2010
Send PM
wharton's "what will you contribute to your learning team" question gave me fits
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 308 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Health Care Marketing
Schools:Ross '10
Send PM
sperinko, congrats on your NUS admit! Much props for a well-deserved accomplishment.

sperinko wrote:
NUS Adcom asked me "What do you NOT like about people ?"

I was like..."whaaaat!"
Obviously, I didn't have many points to talk about...and ranted whatever came to my mind at that moment. The interviewer was persistent and asked me to be more specific and quote an example...gave some answer that was even more in generic terms. He must have been pretty annoyed with my responses as he moved quickly to other topics :-D :-D .

Neverthless, got an admit yesterday. So I guess it was the only poor response in the interview.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 72 [0]
Send PM
My interviewer asked me about my international experience. If you haven't had any type of international experience (i.e. study abroad, backpacking for a month, international business, etc) this question can really catch you off guard. And, I don't think that your Spring Break trip to Cancun really suffices as internatioanl experience. :)
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
My UC Berkeley interviewer looked at my resume and said "All of these accomplishments look like they're part of your job. What have you done that was above and beyond your job description?"

Good thing I worked at a startup so there's a lot of room for above and beyond, but I kind of stuttered that one.

Also, "how are you analytical, in your work or outside of work?"

My brain got sidetracked because I started thinking, who the hell is analytical outside of work? That's not fun...
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Thanks nc ,clobo, kry....although I will probably not go to Singapore. Its a good program and is in a great place but does not have strengths in the areas I am interested (Hi-Tech product mgmt). I just applied there as a safety (plus no Application fee...will you believe that !!). Hopefully I have luck in atleast one of the US B-Schools I am applying to. We'll see. Thanks again.

ncprasad wrote:
sperinko, congrats on your NUS admit! Much props for a well-deserved accomplishment.

sperinko wrote:

I was like..."whaaaat!"
Obviously, I didn't have many points to talk about...and ranted whatever came to my mind at that moment. The interviewer was persistent and asked me to be more specific and quote an example...gave some answer that was even more in generic terms. He must have been pretty annoyed with my responses as he moved quickly to other topics :-D :-D .

Neverthless, got an admit yesterday. So I guess it was the only poor response in the interview.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Thanks RED
R.E.D. wrote:
sperinko, congrats!!!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Send PM
sperinko wrote:

I was like..."whaaaat!"

Congrats... its just the begining.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 49 [0]
Send PM
sperinko wrote:

I was like..."whaaaat!"

Sperinko! Somehow I missed this...Congratulations! :-D
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 233 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Social Enterprise
Schools:The Duke MBA, Class of 2009
Send PM
Mine was stupid:

I talked about being a voracious reader and reading just about anything I can get my hands on - fiction and non. Next question? What's the last nonfiction book you read?

Uh....uh....don't know....can't remember....my brain just went "duh" and i couldn't come up with anything for a moment. I was so busy during admissions season last year that I wasn't reading quite as much (used to be that i would be in the middle of at least 2 or 3 books at all times) and the last thing I read was sorta dumb and I couldn't remember the author and I said it anyway and just felt like a hoser.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 233 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Finance (Corp Fin, Financial Instruments)
Schools:NYU Stern 2009
Send PM
Tell me about a time you took a risk without consulting your supervisor?

- a good one, you either come out sounding like a wuss, or like a crazed lunatic if you aren't careful.

I know a lot of people on the end of "why wouldn't I employ you?" and similar questions. I didn't like the "how would you use a jump diffusion model to price an option?" (the guy KNEW I had never covered that, and was just being an ass).

These are all job i/view questions though. Which reminds me to go over to the advice for the break prior to school thread...
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 698 [1]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship, Digital Media & Entertainment
Schools:UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
 Q51  V41
GPA: 3.9 - undergrad 3.6 - grad-EE
WE 1: Social Gaming
Send PM
Kudos
mba2010 wrote:
My UC Berkeley interviewer looked at my resume and said "All of these accomplishments look like they're part of your job. What have you done that was above and beyond your job description?"

wow, your interviewer was *tough*! That's a very mean question.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 57 [1]
Concentration: Finance, Strategy, and Accounting
Schools:Chicago Booth
 Q47  V44
Send PM
Kudos
Ok, my Wharton interviewer asked me to solve the following problem:

You are on a wilderness retreat with your team. It’s getting dark, you are returning to the big camp with your team and looks like you are lost. For a split of second you spot the campfires among the trees, but however hard you try to see it again, you cannot. Yet, you are absolutely positive about the general direction of the camp.
However another team member who boasts vast experience of surviving in the wild, insist that the camp is in the opposite direction. The rest of the team have no opinion. What do you do?

I think I botched that one. I would not reproduce the whole answer and follow up questions (oh, he was persistent) but I ended up saying that we would spend the whole night there on the spot… waiting for the dawn… sharing each other bodywarmth… :shock: Guess that explains why I was dinged at Wharton :oops: :roll:
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 144 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
Schools: Hong Kong University of Science and Technology (HKUST) - Class of 2010
Send PM
helg wrote:

You are on a wilderness retreat with your team. It’s getting dark, you are returning to the big camp with your team and looks like you are lost. For a split of second you spot the campfires among the trees, but however hard you try to see it again, you cannot. Yet, you are absolutely positive about the general direction of the camp.
However another team member who boasts vast experience of surviving in the wild, insist that the camp is in the opposite direction. The rest of the team have no opinion. What do you do?

I think I botched that one. I would not reproduce the whole answer and follow up questions (oh, he was persistent) but I ended up saying that we would spend the whole night there on the spot… waiting for the dawn… sharing each other bodywarmth… :shock: Guess that explains why I was dinged at Wharton :oops: :roll:

Can you cheat by saying.. I pull out my N82/N95 and check the GPS. :lol:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 156 [1]
Given Kudos: 24
Concentration: Entrepreneurship
 Q44  V40
Send PM
Kudos
helg wrote:

Great question. It actually reflects on your decision making abilities. Especially split second decision making abilities. It questions you as to how can you choose between your gut feeling and a 'well tested external input'. Frankly, like an behavioral questions there's no right answer. However, because you said that you would not take either of those decisions and choose a relatively easier alternative, that might have cast a negative impression. Just my thought.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 107 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Schools:Kellogg '10
 Q46  V47
Send PM
The one that caught me the most off-guard was "Tell me something you learned yesterday."
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2