Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 11:09 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 11:09

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 2696 [26]
Given Kudos: 200
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 580 Q46 V24
GPA: 3.7
WE:Marketing (Telecommunications)
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 79 [10]
Given Kudos: 12
Concentration: Finance, Accounting
GMAT 1: 720 Q47 V41
GPA: 3.52
WE:Operations (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 268 [1]
Given Kudos: 101
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 58 [4]
Given Kudos: 833
GMAT 1: 600 Q42 V32
GMAT 2: 710 Q48 V38
GPA: 3.7
Send PM
Re: A system-wide county school anti-smoking education program was institu [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
BrainLab wrote:
A system-wide county school anti-smoking education program was instituted last year. The program was clearly a success. Last year, the incidence of students smoking on school premises decreased by over 70 percent.

Which of the following, if true, would most seriously weaken the argument in the passage?

(A) The author of this statement is a school system official hoping to generate good publicity for the anti-smoking program.
(B) Most students who smoke stopped smoking on school premises last year continued to smoke when away from school.
(C) Last year, another policy change made it much easier for students to leave and return to school grounds during the school day.
(D) The school system spent more on anti-smoking education programs last year than it did in all previous years.
(E) The amount of time students spent in anti-smoking education programs last year resulted in a reduction of in-class hours devoted to academic subjects.

Here is how I did it.

Cause: anti-smoking education program
Effect: decrease in incidence of students smoking on school premise

Assumption: 1. Only the Anti-smoking education program decreased the incidence of smoking in the school premise ( There is no other cause for the decrease )
Goal: Attack the assumption

A. Out of Scope
B. This shows a another effect of the Anti-smoking education program ( They smoked somewhere else )
C. Yep! Perfectly attacking the assumption. Another policy (Not anti-smoking program) lead to the decrease in incidence.
D.Cost??? Way out of scope
E. Time??? Nope

Hope it helps :)
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1367 [0]
Given Kudos: 23
Send PM
Re: A system-wide county school anti-smoking education program was institu [#permalink]
Expert Reply
A system-wide county school anti-smoking education program was instituted last year. The program was clearly a success. Last year, the incidence of students smoking on school premises decreased by over 70 percent.

Which of the following, if true, would most seriously weaken the argument in the passage?

(A) The author of this statement is a school system official hoping to generate good publicity for the anti-smoking program.Even if this were true, it doesn't affect the argument.
(B) Most students who smoke stopped smoking on school premises last year continued to smoke when away from school. The smoking or not smoking outside of school is out of scope because we are concerned with smoking at school.
(C) Last year, another policy change made it much easier for students to leave and return to school grounds during the school day.This would suggest that students are still smoking at school, but where they cannot be detected.
(D) The school system spent more on anti-smoking education programs last year than it did in all previous years.How much was spent is not relevant to the argument.
(E) The amount of time students spent in anti-smoking education programs last year resulted in a reduction of in-class hours devoted to academic subjects.How much time students spent in the programs and the result of that is out of scope.
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15266 [1]
Given Kudos: 26
Schools:
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE:Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
This is a typical weakening structure:
Given: X and Y are observed to happen together.
Conclusion: X causes Y.
Weakening statement: Something else, Z causes Y.

Here X= anti-smoking program
Y= reduction in smoking
Z = easier return to school grounds

The conclusion is: X causes Y ( anti-smoking program caused reduction in smoking).
The weakening statement is: something else, Z causes Y ( easier return to school ground caused reduction in smoking).
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Given Kudos: 99
GMAT 1: 670 Q50 V30
WE:Engineering (Computer Software)
Send PM
Isn't B and C trying to say the same thing. B says that student reduces on premise smoking but continued to smoke away from it. C says that a policy made it easier for students to leave school, go smoke and come back. But since B is more clear I selected it. Where is my understanding wrong ?
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 7773 [2]
Given Kudos: 55
GMAT 2: 780  Q50  V50
Send PM