Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 05:02 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 05:02

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: American Management association, American Association of financial accountants
Own Kudos [?]: 1849 [12]
Given Kudos: 52
Concentration: finance and international business
Schools:Columbia university
 Q18  V17 GMAT 2: 320  Q18  V19 GMAT 3: 620  Q42  V33
GPA: 3.48
Send PM
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 4562 [2]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 433 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Concentration: International Business, Marketing
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
GPA: 3.2
WE:Business Development (Internet and New Media)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1005 [0]
Given Kudos: 53
Concentration: Finance,Entrepreneurship,General Management
Schools:Booth,NUS,St.Gallon
Send PM
Re: Local phone companies have monopolies on phone service within their ar [#permalink]
A is the answer it clearly says that the profits would be wiped out due to an initial investment .Therefore the telephone companies cannot provide channels at a subsidized rate !!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 290 [2]
Given Kudos: 29
Send PM
Re: Local phone companies have monopolies on phone service within their ar [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
rs47 wrote:
1990 editorial: Local pay phone calls have cost a quarter apiece ever since the 1970s, when a soft drink from a vending machine cost about the same. The price of a soft drink has more than doubled since, so phone companies should be allowed to raise the price of pay phone calls too.

Which one of the following, if true, most weakens the editorial's argument?

(A) A pay phone typically cost less than a soft-drink machine in the 1970s.
(B) Due to inflation, the prices of most goods more than doubled between the 1970s and 1990.
(C) Government regulation of phone call prices did not become more stringent between the 1970s and 1990.
(D) Between the 1970s and 1990 the cost of ingredients for soft drinks increased at a greater rate than the cost of telephone equipment.
(E) Technological advances made telephone equipment more sophisticated between the 1970s and 1990.
(A) A pay phone typically cost less than a soft-drink machine in the 1970s. - OFS

(B) Due to inflation, the prices of most goods more than doubled between the 1970s and 1990. - gives an alternative reason for the increase in the price of soft drinks

(C) Government regulation of phone call prices did not become more stringent between the 1970s and 1990.
- irrelevant
(D) Between the 1970s and 1990 the cost of ingredients for soft drinks increased at a greater rate than the cost of telephone equipment. - kind of trap "rate of increase"

(E) Technological advances made telephone equipment more sophisticated between the 1970s and 1990
- irrelevant

Sent from my Lenovo K53a48 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618712 [0]
Given Kudos: 81586
Send PM
Expert Reply
manalq8 wrote:
Local phone companies have monopolies on phone service within their areas. Cable television can be transmitted via the wires that are already in place and owned by the phone companies. Cable television companies argue that if the telephone companies were to offer cable service, these telephone companies would have an unfair advantage, because their cable transmissions could be subsidized by the profits of their monopolies on phone service.

Which of the following, if true, would ease the cable companies’ fear of unfair competition?

(A) In order to use existing telephone wire, telephone companies would need to modernize their operations, a process so expensive it would virtually wipe out all profit from their monopoly for the foreseeable future.

(B) If a phone company were to offer cable service within a particular area, it would have a monopoly within that area.

(C) The cost of television service, whether provided by cable or telephone companies, scales; that is, the total cost of transmission rises only marginally as more homes are added to the network.

(D) Cable programming that offers more channels is already available through satellite dish, but the initial cost of the dish is extremely high.

(E) Cable television will never be able to compete with the burgeoning video rental industry, especially as more homes now have video cassette recorders than ever did before.

TWIN QUESTION: https://gmatclub.com/forum/local-phone- ... 12989.html
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts