Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 01:06 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 01:06

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 155 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Concentration: Finance
Schools:Kellogg Class of 2011
 Q48  V39
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 223 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Concentration: General Management
Schools:NYU Stern '11
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 58 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
VP
VP
Re: Tuition [#permalink]
That's bizarrely strict, although as I said each state has its own set of rules for determining residency.

I was under the impression in most cases, living in a state for more than one year, having a state's driving license, and paying state income taxes for that period would generally qualify you for in-state tuition. So a lot of people in their second year at a business school should qualify, if I'm not totally mistaken.

But of course, the process isn't automatic.

westsider wrote:
I've heard this explained to a group of applicants at Kenan-Flagler. It is *possible* for you to gain residency, but you have to prove that you are planning to move there permamently (after graduation), which can be tricky - though not impossible. It is not automatic by any means - more of a case by case basis.

Things that would look good(again, this isn't a checklist, you might do all these and still not get reisdency): enrolling a child in local schools, spouse moving to the state with you and finding a new job, buying a house...
Things that probably look bad: Spouse lives in a different state? (this was a guess.. but I can't imagine it would help)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
I know both cali and washington will not give you residence if you are a resident "for educational purposes". haven't personally looked into other states.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Sorry, i see what you are saying. I should have said something more like this:
After 1 year as a student you are Eligible to try to prove you are a resident for NC.
If you had, on the other hand, moved to NC one year ahead of school starting and worked fulltime for that year, they could NOT deny you residency.
VP
VP
Umm...so let's say I move from New York to California to go to school to UCLA. During my first year there, I switch my driving license to California, pay rent in California and pay California income taxes at the end of my first year? How does California determine that I am not an "in state resident?" I could be a resident AND be in the state of educational purposes, no?

I do realize this involves government bureaucracy so anything is possible! :)

westsider wrote:
I know both cali and washington will not give you residence if you are a resident "for educational purposes". haven't personally looked into other states.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
well *I* think you would be... :-D but i think if you are full time student it might be tough! hahaha
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 155 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Concentration: Finance
Schools:Kellogg Class of 2011
 Q48  V39
Send PM
Did a little digging on the UNC Registrar's website and found this:

First, you must establish domicile in North carolina with the intent of becoming a permanent resident or satisfying any of the below. I would imagine completing your internship in the summer would count for UNC and show intent, thus allowing you to apply for in-state tuition for year two.

The following factors, if actually present in the case, would tend to support a finding that the student did intend to establish domicile in North Carolina:

The student moves to North Carolina for a significant period of time prior to enrollment in an institution of higher education, during which period he or she is employed or engaged in other substantial activity unrelated to education pursuits; the possible inference is that educational pursuits were not the exclusive motivation for coming to the State or perhaps the continuing sole motivation therefore.

The student comes to North Carolina with a spouse and/or children, either significantly before or immediately coincident with his enrollment; the possible inference is that the student is the head of an independent household who is establishing a family home in this State.

The student purchases a residence in the State where he or she resides, with or without other family members (i.e., spouse and/or children); the possible inference is that the student has put down roots on a permanent basis and, incident thereto, is engaged in educational pursuits.

The student does some or all of the following acts in North Carolina: registers to vote; files income, personal property, or real property tax returns; registers or licenses a motor vehicle; acquires a driver's license; owns real property; is employed; maintains membership in social, fraternal, religious, or other organizations; maintains banking accounts.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Send PM
In undergrad you needed to be living in teh area for 3 years.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 59 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Send PM
In the state of CA you can get instate tuition after just one year.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Send PM
good info!
GMAT Club Bot