Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 08:38 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 08:38

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 111 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Finance, entrepreneurship
Schools:Booth, Stern, Haas
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 85 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Finance
Schools:Wharton, Booth, Stern
 Q49  V42
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
Re: 750 - Q49 V42 - My GMAT experience [#permalink]
very impressive. good luck :wink:
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Send PM
Nice job and good marks, thanks for providing us information.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Send PM
Hi Audio
No you are not sounding stupid thank you for your nice suggestion.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Send PM
Hi Audio CONGRATULATIONS from my side good job buddy.
Current Student
 Q49  V42
Send PM
Thanks to everybody for the congratulations!

If there are any other questions I'll be happy to answer.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 6810 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Schools:CBS, Kellogg
Send PM
Hi Audio,

Congratunation, you have a great score.
You said: "What I would also do is seriously browse this website for tips, there is some great advice out here. For example, recognizing the 3/2 structure is very helpful."

Do you mind providing it, or pasting a link here? Really appreciated!

Thank you,
Current Student
 Q49  V42
Send PM
sondenso wrote:
Hi Audio,

Congratunation, you have a great score.
You said: "What I would also do is seriously browse this website for tips, there is some great advice out here. For example, recognizing the 3/2 structure is very helpful."

Do you mind providing it, or pasting a link here? Really appreciated!

Thank you,

If you do a search, I'm sure you'll find it. Plus if you browse in the "new to the verbal forum?" topic in the verbal forum, you should find it easily (the 3/2 structure is a structure you find in verbal questions). You'll also find other very precious tips.

Good luck!
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 6810 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Schools:CBS, Kellogg
Send PM
Thank you Audio,

Digging the forum sparked my thought after this post. I finished "New to Math forum". I am sure to finish Verbal forum aslo.

Regards,
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Send PM
Hi Audio,
Congrats on your achievement.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
Thanks very much for the tips.

As for a beginner, where would you recommend me to start?
Current Student
 Q49  V42
Send PM
j8liu wrote:
Thanks very much for the tips.

As for a beginner, where would you recommend me to start?

It's been a while since I took that test, but I'll try to remember :-D

First of all, my answer would be: it depends (great help isn't it??). The first questions you need to be asking yourself are: how good am I (honestly) in math? Am I a native speaker? For me the answers were "very good" and "no", so I knew I had to focus on verbal (scored 49 on math and 42 on verbal).

What I would do for starters is simply buy the Gmat book (the bible) and do a couple of exercises (I think there is some sort of review exam in there), just to get the feeling of the questions. You should do that because the data insufficiency questions can be a bit confusing in the beginning. Then after that I'd do one of the Gmat exams for the program you download on mba.com. That would be your first reality check. Depending on the kind of score you do, you will know where your strong and weak points are. Depending on that you should work on your weaknesses but not neglect your strengths. After that it's a question of having the right books and practicing.

In my opinion you don't need classes (unless you're either very rich or with a very inadequate background in math and verbal). Books are good enough.

Last point: I'm a pretty good test-taker, especially when it comes down to what I would call "speed" tests (a lot of short questions). I took a couple of tests like that in my life (including the CFA, which is an exam playing in a completely different league compared to Gmat), so I had experience with me. However, some people are either not good "speed" test takers, or simply have no experience. I would advise you then to practice in real conditions, with a timer. It does make a difference. I didn't do it because I felt quite comfortable about it, but if you're not, then you should do it.

Anyway, I hope this is clear enough for starters. Please ask if you have any other questions.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 837 [0]
Send PM
Can you provide me with any suggestions for the last week preparation before the exam?? for both quant and verbal sections.

Thanks,
Current Student
 Q49  V42
Send PM
bdumpala wrote:
Can you provide me with any suggestions for the last week preparation before the exam?? for both quant and verbal sections.

Thanks,

Well, I didn't really follow a particular scheme, I just practiced. That's the only secret I guess: you can plan as much as you like, but only practice will get you there IMO.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 802 [0]
Send PM
Audio wrote:
Just wanted to share my GMAT experience. I just took the exam today, and I got 750.

My prep material was:

- Manhattan verbal books. I didn't open the RC and CR ones though. As a non-English native (although I have a very good grasp of English), SC book was essential. It really helped me improve my verbal skills.

- Math challenges. Great practice for maths. I recommend this to everybody, especially considering the price, best value for money I've seen. https://gmatclub.com/wiki/Tests

- OG ed.11. Good basic practice exercices.

- 1000 tests.

Background: I studied business in uni, with a strong emphasis on maths, chemistry and physics in the first years (commercial engineer, for those of you who understand what it means). So I've always been comfortable with figures and speed tests (did CFA 1st level too). I lived in several English-speaking countries, so I'm quite comfortable with the language, but I'm not perfectly bilingual. Some idioms were a bit tricky for example.

I'll split my explanations in maths and verbal.

Math

I did almost all the challenges, and did the difficult exercices in the OG. Maths was always going to be easier for me than verbal. I did have to polish my math theory, ecause I forgot a lot.

My recommendation would be the following for those of you who are not poor in maths (sorry if this sounds like I'm bragging): the OG math theory is sufficient to revise most of the principles you need to know. What really helped though were the "tricks", for example in order to add several consecutive integers, take the middle figure and multiply it by the number of figures, etc. This could sound like basic stuff for the math gurus, but I forgot most of this, and it's VERY VERY useful in a test where speed is essential. Anything that can make you save time is good, you'll defo need it. Surf on the math forum to check for this.

Also, knowing that you can use several methods to find answers was very useful - this might sound very stupid, but before going on the forum I never thought of replacing figures in the different results, etc. Try to identify the easiest method for each question. I still made that mistake in the exam, trying to solve a complicated problem without replacing, cost me 1.5 minutes, which was ridiculous.

Also, you HAVE to know the basic stuff inside out: 1 is not prime, 0 is even and isn't negative or positive, etc. The corrolary of this is: read the question CAREFULLY. If we speak about a POSITIVE INTEGER, you can forget about -0.5. Inversely, an integer can also be sq2. NEVER forget to test special figures such as 1 and 0 in the DS questions.

The best practice I found were the challenges, that are - I reckon - quite similar to what you are going to get on the GMAT. COngrats to the peopld who contributed to their creation btw, you guys are spot on. Well done. 79$ for that kind of practice is ridiculously low (especially with the very high euro :-D ), don't hesitate and get it!

This is all I used for maths, and it was enough. I don't think I could increase my 49 without practicing like a nutter - not worth it. I think that was my limit.

Verbal

I'm not very good in verbal. Like all the international students, I struggled with SC. I practiced RC and CR with the 1000 tests (did 120 of each), and that was enough for me. I studied SC with the Manhattan book. I would like to stress here that this book was a BIBLE for me. SC was much clearer to me after that, as well as understanding the 3/2 concept. I would recommend all the international students to get this book.

Last remark: I also don't believe in studying 6 months before the exam. Regular studying + 2 weeks intensive before the exam should do it (I took 2.5 weeks off, where I wrote a couple of essays and studied).

Anyway, if you have questions, please don't hesitate!

PS: sorry for the totally incoherent post structure, I can't be ars*d reading it again :)

Hi Audio! Congrats on your score!!!
I'm also international student. I'm strugling with GMAT for more than 2 years. I took my test and i got 480 and my goal is at least 700. I work full time and i think i don't dedicate enough time to prepare for this exam. After work i feel tired and spaced out. I'm thinking to quit my job so i can study efficiently 6-7hours a day. However, i wonder what did you mean by saying this "I also don't believe in studying 6 months before the exam"? What would be your advise to me? Thanks in advance.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
Hi, How many Perms & Combs questions did u find in GMAT?...There are roughly 2 months for me take the GMAT..Is OG 11 a good buy..Need your help..Thanks!!
Current Student
 Q49  V42
Send PM
sanb08 wrote:
Hi, How many Perms & Combs questions did u find in GMAT?...There are roughly 2 months for me take the GMAT..Is OG 11 a good buy..Need your help..Thanks!!

Ouf, I really can't remember, but my memory is very little (surprisingly enough). However maybe that's just pot luck. I would still recommend to study it thoroughly, just in case - you'll be kicking yourself if you get a lot of them.
Current Student
 Q49  V42
Send PM
el1981 wrote:
Audio wrote:
Just wanted to share my GMAT experience. I just took the exam today, and I got 750.

My prep material was:

- Manhattan verbal books. I didn't open the RC and CR ones though. As a non-English native (although I have a very good grasp of English), SC book was essential. It really helped me improve my verbal skills.

- Math challenges. Great practice for maths. I recommend this to everybody, especially considering the price, best value for money I've seen. https://gmatclub.com/wiki/Tests

- OG ed.11. Good basic practice exercices.

- 1000 tests.

Background: I studied business in uni, with a strong emphasis on maths, chemistry and physics in the first years (commercial engineer, for those of you who understand what it means). So I've always been comfortable with figures and speed tests (did CFA 1st level too). I lived in several English-speaking countries, so I'm quite comfortable with the language, but I'm not perfectly bilingual. Some idioms were a bit tricky for example.

I'll split my explanations in maths and verbal.

Math

I did almost all the challenges, and did the difficult exercices in the OG. Maths was always going to be easier for me than verbal. I did have to polish my math theory, ecause I forgot a lot.

My recommendation would be the following for those of you who are not poor in maths (sorry if this sounds like I'm bragging): the OG math theory is sufficient to revise most of the principles you need to know. What really helped though were the "tricks", for example in order to add several consecutive integers, take the middle figure and multiply it by the number of figures, etc. This could sound like basic stuff for the math gurus, but I forgot most of this, and it's VERY VERY useful in a test where speed is essential. Anything that can make you save time is good, you'll defo need it. Surf on the math forum to check for this.

Also, knowing that you can use several methods to find answers was very useful - this might sound very stupid, but before going on the forum I never thought of replacing figures in the different results, etc. Try to identify the easiest method for each question. I still made that mistake in the exam, trying to solve a complicated problem without replacing, cost me 1.5 minutes, which was ridiculous.

Also, you HAVE to know the basic stuff inside out: 1 is not prime, 0 is even and isn't negative or positive, etc. The corrolary of this is: read the question CAREFULLY. If we speak about a POSITIVE INTEGER, you can forget about -0.5. Inversely, an integer can also be sq2. NEVER forget to test special figures such as 1 and 0 in the DS questions.

The best practice I found were the challenges, that are - I reckon - quite similar to what you are going to get on the GMAT. COngrats to the peopld who contributed to their creation btw, you guys are spot on. Well done. 79$ for that kind of practice is ridiculously low (especially with the very high euro :-D ), don't hesitate and get it!

This is all I used for maths, and it was enough. I don't think I could increase my 49 without practicing like a nutter - not worth it. I think that was my limit.

Verbal

I'm not very good in verbal. Like all the international students, I struggled with SC. I practiced RC and CR with the 1000 tests (did 120 of each), and that was enough for me. I studied SC with the Manhattan book. I would like to stress here that this book was a BIBLE for me. SC was much clearer to me after that, as well as understanding the 3/2 concept. I would recommend all the international students to get this book.

Last remark: I also don't believe in studying 6 months before the exam. Regular studying + 2 weeks intensive before the exam should do it (I took 2.5 weeks off, where I wrote a couple of essays and studied).

Anyway, if you have questions, please don't hesitate!

PS: sorry for the totally incoherent post structure, I can't be ars*d reading it again :)

Hi Audio! Congrats on your score!!!
I'm also international student. I'm strugling with GMAT for more than 2 years. I took my test and i got 480 and my goal is at least 700. I work full time and i think i don't dedicate enough time to prepare for this exam. After work i feel tired and spaced out. I'm thinking to quit my job so i can study efficiently 6-7hours a day. However, i wonder what did you mean by saying this "I also don't believe in studying 6 months before the exam"? What would be your advise to me? Thanks in advance.

Ok, I don't know how good or bad you are, but apparently you need to study quite a lot. If you can afford to quit your job, why not? However, I don't know your situation, but I think it's a very risky tactic. I mean, this is simply the first step of a VERY long process. Can you afford to quit your job for more than a year?

Otherwise, I'd just say: grab you balls in your hand and work it out. Nobody had it easy, studying for the GMAT while working. It all depends on how bad you want it.

Finally, what I meant by not believing in studying 6 months before the exam is that that's a very long period; there's a risk of getting bored / forgetting what you studied before.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   
Moderator:
Founder
37306 posts