Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 05:17 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 05:17

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: Sub 505 Levelx   Idioms/Diction/Redundancyx   Parallelismx                        
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 3663 [36]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 938 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
 Q50  V34
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 10036 [0]
Given Kudos: 361
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Other
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2011
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V40
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 72 [1]
Given Kudos: 11
Concentration: General Management , Enterprenureship
Schools:ISB, IIM
GMAT 2: 690  Q50  V34
GPA: 3.93
Send PM
Re: The psychologist William James believed that facial expressions not [#permalink]
Hi,
Please tell me "itself" is referring to which word in the following sentence-

The psychologist William James believed that facial expression not only provide a visible sign of an emotion but also actually contribute to the feeling itself.

Source- OG VR SC Question 46

Originally posted by akbism on 24 Sep 2011, 09:16.
Last edited by akbism on 24 Sep 2011, 10:04, edited 1 time in total.
Current Student
Affiliations: Beta Gamma Sigma - Business Honors Society, FINRA Securities Licenses, CA Insurance Licenses
Own Kudos [?]: 42 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 700 Q48 V38
GMAT 2: 750 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.47
WE:Sales (Retail Banking)
Send PM
Re: The psychologist William James believed that facial expressions not [#permalink]
akbism wrote:
Hi,
Please tell me "itself" is referring to which word in the following sentence-

The psychologist William James believed that facial expression not only provide a visible sign of an emotion but also actually contribute to the feeling itself.

Source- QG VR SC Question 46

i would say IT, is used in the 'placeholder' sense here? But I could be wrong... essentially it could be referring to "emotion" ... but it seems that maybe the sentence could be wrong, since it does not actually state an emotion.

Of course if a GMAT instructor has anything to add or clarify, i would be interested as well! lol :)
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42104 [1]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Is C parallel? Doesn’t the word ‘actually’ intrude into the co-relative conjunction // ism; no doubt C is the only clause resulting in a complete sentence. Or is this what GMAT means by saying that it will give preference to meaning rather than grammar?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 72 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Concentration: General Management , Enterprenureship
Schools:ISB, IIM
GMAT 2: 690  Q50  V34
GPA: 3.93
Send PM
daagh wrote:
Is C parallel? Doesn’t the word ‘actually’ intrude into the co-relative conjunction // ism; no doubt C is the only clause resulting in a complete sentence. Or is this what GMAT means by saying that it will give preference to meaning rather than grammar?

As far as I know, an adjective or an adverb can intrude without affecting the parallelism...
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 407 [1]
Given Kudos: 111
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Sustainability
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V29
GMAT 2: 680 Q49 V33
GPA: 3
WE:Supply Chain Management (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Bookmarks
The psychologist William James believed that facial expressions not only provide a visible sign of an emotion, actually contributing to the feeling itself.

(A) emotion, actually contributing to the feeling itself - Not only...But also is correct. 'Contributing' is present participle and not parallel to verb 'Provide'.
(B) emotion but also actually contributing to the feeling itself - Contributing' is present participle and not parallel to verb 'Provide'.

(C) emotion but also actually contribute to the feeling itself - Correct
(D) emotion; they also actually contribute to the feeling of it - Semicolon is wrong as it makes both sentences ICs. 'But also' is required. It is ambiguous.
(E) emotion; the feeling itself is also actually contributed to by them - Semicolon is wrong as it makes both sentences ICs. 'But also' is required. Them is ambiguous. PAssive construction.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 671 [1]
Given Kudos: 31
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V35
GMAT 2: 740 Q48 V42
WE:Programming (Computer Software)
Send PM
Kudos
The psychologist William James believed that facial expressions not only provide a visible sign of an emotion, actually contributing to the feeling itself.

Issue: Idiom

Analysis:
1. The correct idiom is "not only X but also Y"
- X and Y should be comparable objects i.e. noun, verb or clause
- X and Y should have similar connotation and can not be opposites

(A) emotion, actually contributing to the feeling itself
- Unidiomatic
- Not parallel

(B) emotion but also actually contributing to the feeling itself
- Not parallel

(C) emotion but also actually contribute to the feeling itself

(D) emotion; they also actually contribute to the feeling of it
- Unidiomatic

(E) emotion; the feeling itself is also actually contributed to by them
- Unidiomatic

Answer: (C)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 79 [0]
Given Kudos: 54
Concentration: General Management
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.92
Send PM
in this question we know that contributing is a participle,
but how do participles differ from verb?
Is there a way we can point out that this is a participle and not a verb?
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30791 [4]
Given Kudos: 635
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
Kudos