Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 13:11 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 13:11

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 36 [1]
Given Kudos: 11
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1682 [1]
Given Kudos: 210
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 144 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
Schools: Hong Kong University of Science and Technology (HKUST) - Class of 2010
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 85 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Finance
Schools:Wharton, Booth, Stern
 Q49  V42
Send PM
Re: What would you choose over an MBA? [#permalink]
Winning the jackpot at Euromillions.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 57 [0]
Concentration: Finance, Strategy, and Accounting
Schools:Chicago Booth
 Q47  V44
Send PM
Audio wrote:
Winning the jackpot at Euromillions.

Same for me, please.

togafoot wrote:
anything involving my children

That goes without saying, but think positive, Togafoot!
Current Student
Send PM
in that case, if i was offered a senior position which incorporates high-tech, music and business.
VP
VP
 Q47  V44
Send PM
togafoot wrote:
in that case, if i was offered a senior position which incorporates high-tech, music and business.

Like a CEO of Sony Computer Entertainment?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 36 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Send PM
helg wrote:
togafoot wrote:

Like a CEO of Sony Computer Entertainment?

Sounds about right, unless togafoot is gunning to replace Steve Jobs...
Current Student
Send PM
nah, not interested in steve jobs position. Something more like Simon Cowell + High Tech :)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [1]
Schools: Darden '15
GMAT Date: 12-07-2011
Send PM
Kudos
adcxaway wrote:
For me, maybe marriage to the girl of my dreams.

oh this is so cute :) I didn't think any romantics apply for MBAs
I thought that MBA people are just overachiever workaholics :)

anyways... if I got an associate position with one of the big 3 consulting companies in their London, UK office I wouldn't go to b-school, because that is what I want to do post-MBA, and if I could get it now there wouldn't be interested in getting an MBA
VP
VP
 Q47  V44
Send PM
Darden2010 wrote:

anyways... if I got an associate position with one of the big 3 consulting companies in their London, UK office I wouldn't go to b-school, because that is what I want to do post-MBA, and if I could get it now there wouldn't be interested in getting an MBA

Na-ah, wrong answer! MBA is a lifetime investment, this is not something you do to just land in a typical post-MBA job. I expect the knowledge I will obtain in the b-school to benefit me in decades.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Kudos
:) really? and just how much do you remember from the stuff you learned in udergrad? I don't think I even rememebr 10% of the things I learned in undergrad and it has been less than 2 years since I graduated :)

For me an MBA is just the next step to get me where I want to be at a few years from now. MBA is not relaly about education :) it is about opportunities that it gives you, exchange of ideas, network .... and a bunch of other intangibles :)

Trust me, the balance sheet analysis that you will learn in your MBA will evaporate from your brain pretty quickly :) ... but if you have your dream job by then it won't even matter :)

helg wrote:
Darden2010 wrote:

Na-ah, wrong answer! MBA is a lifetime investment, this is not something you do to just land in a typical post-MBA job. I expect the knowledge I will obtain in the b-school to benefit me in decades.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 32 [0]
Send PM
So, will your dream job be sufficient enough to drop an MBA? What about 5-10 years later? You might not be able to progress to, say, a partner or whatever your next step is without an MBA right?

Darden2010 wrote:
:) really? and just how much do you remember from the stuff you learned in udergrad? I don't think I even rememebr 10% of the things I learned in undergrad and it has been less than 2 years since I graduated :)

For me an MBA is just the next step to get me where I want to be at a few years from now. MBA is not relaly about education :) it is about opportunities that it gives you, exchange of ideas, network .... and a bunch of other intangibles :)

Trust me, the balance sheet analysis that you will learn in your MBA will evaporate from your brain pretty quickly :) ... but if you have your dream job by then it won't even matter :)

helg wrote:
Darden2010 wrote:

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Kudos
The last time I checked most CEOs of Fortune 500 companies didn't have MBAs.
I don't need an MBA to be successful, I need an MBA to have my dream job :), once you are in the door the piece of paper that represents your MBA degree doesn't mean much :)

dosa_don wrote:
So, will your dream job be sufficient enough to drop an MBA? What about 5-10 years later? You might not be able to progress to, say, a partner or whatever your next step is without an MBA right?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 32 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Well you probably need a Masters, not necessarily an MBA. According this "62% of all S&P 500 CEOs have earned an advanced degree beyond their undergraduate degree (this includes MBAs, other master degrees, PhDs, etc.)."
https://content.spencerstuart.com/sswebsite/pdf/lib/2005_CEO_Study_JS.pdf

From this it shows that 67% of S & P 500 CEO's have a Masters: https://www.taibros.net/archives/2005/11/07/so-you-want-to-be-a-ceo

Darden2010 wrote:
I don't need an MBA to be successful, I need an MBA to have my dream job :), once you are in the door the piece of paper that represents your MBA degree doesn't mean much :)

dosa_don wrote:
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 48 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Schools: HKUST MBA - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V44
GPA: 3.2
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
someone please say that an MBA gets you a hot chick tooo...

that is why I want an MBa.. MBA = $¥ and pounds = hot women (mostly gold diggers, but who cares)

I would not do an MBA, if I seriously got a job from lonely planet asking me to travel all around the world..
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 58 [0]
Send PM
I would work at a think-tank (if you aren't aware what this is, here is an example https://rand.org/) . Wouldn't that just be the coolest job ever?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
wrong approach apiroop.
:)

I dont think its difficult to get a hot chick, its difficult to get an intelligent hot chick that makes money. THAAATs why you go to b school, so you can find that girl that will make six figures post-MBA and has some topics to discuss. ;)
(Dartmouth Medical beware... hahah)

Kellogg should have been your choice..I just read they have A&F models there...
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Send PM
oook so I have 38% chance to become a Fortune 500 CEO with my undergrad? that ain't too bad. And also, people with advanced degrees are generally more motivated, work harder... which translates into more success. If all the undergrad diploma holders were as motivated and worked as hard, don't you think the gap between grad vs. undergrad CEOs would have been more narrow?
So it is not the degree, it is the personality that counts ;)

dosa_don wrote:
Well you probably need a Masters, not necessarily an MBA. According this "62% of all S&P 500 CEOs have earned an advanced degree beyond their undergraduate degree (this includes MBAs, other master degrees, PhDs, etc.)."
https://content.spencerstuart.com/sswebsite/pdf/lib/2005_CEO_Study_JS.pdf

From this it shows that 67% of S & P 500 CEO's have a Masters: https://www.taibros.net/archives/2005/11/07/so-you-want-to-be-a-ceo

Darden2010 wrote:

dosa_don wrote:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Send PM
Dartmout Medical beware gold digger !! :)

branson wrote:
so you can find that girl that will make six figures post-MBA
(Dartmouth Medical beware... hahah)
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2