Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 00:28 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 00:28

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 938 [0]
 Q50  V34
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Send PM
Re: What's the units digit Questions? [#permalink]
Liquid wrote:
I can't count the number of questions I've come across of this nature:

What is the units digit of (9^3)(4^5)(6^3)?

any ideas as to how I can solve questions like this?

Hi Bunuel, could you please suggest your way of attacking this type of question?

Thanks much
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 107 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Liquid wrote:
I can't count the number of questions I've come across of this nature:

What is the units digit of (9^3)(4^5)(6^3)?

any ideas as to how I can solve questions like this?

In these type of questions it helps to remember that all number from 1-9 when raised to a power have a cyclicity for the unit digits.

For example taking 4 for instance : 4,16,64,256.... As seen, powers of 4 repeat their unit digits at an interval of 2.

Similarly for 9 : 9,81,729,..... powers of 9 Also repeats their units digit at an interval of 2.

For 6: 6,36,216..... The units digit of powers of 6 remain the same...

Thus, for the question we get that the units digit of 9^3 = 9, 4^5 = 4, 6^3 = 6.

The multiplication of 9,4, as units digit would give 36 as the units digit and subsequent multiplication with a number with unit's digit 6 will also give 6 as the unit's digit.

TIP: Try to memorize the intervals at which the exponents of numbers from 1-9 repeat their unit's digits.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Send PM
The best way to tackle such questions is following the rule of cyclicity:

consider digit 2: \(2^1= 2\) \(2^2= 4\) \(2^3= 8\) \(2^4= 16\) \(2^5= 32\) .. take a close look at \(2^5\) the units digit repeats itself. Therefore 2 has a cyclicity of 4. Similarly digits 3,7 and 8 also have a cyclicity of 4.

digits 4 and 9: cyclicity of 2, and digits 5 and 6: units digit same as number itself.

coming to the qn: (9^3)(4^5)(6^3)

Ans: 9^3: 9 has cyclicity of 2, therefore divide its index i.e 3 by 2: you get remainder as 1: Therefore units digit is 9^1 i.e 9.
4^5: 4 has cyclicity of 2, therefore divide its index i.e 5 by 2: you get remainder as 1: Therefore units digit is 4^1 i.e 4.
6^3: Units digit will be 6 itself as explained in the theory above.

Now to get the units digit of the entire expression multiply the results above : 9*4*6= 36*6= units digit of 6.

Hope my explanation is clear. Once you get hold of this method, units digit can be calculated in seconds. 8-)

Thanks
Rajesh

Archived Topic
Hi there,
This topic has been closed and archived due to inactivity or violation of community quality standards. No more replies are possible here.
Where to now? Join ongoing discussions on thousands of quality questions in our Quantitative Questions Forum
Still interested in this question? Check out the "Best Topics" block above for a better discussion on this exact question, as well as several more related questions.
Thank you for understanding, and happy exploring!
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Senior Moderator - Masters Forum
3137 posts