Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 15:28 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 15:28

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 91 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Strategy, Non-Profit
Schools:R1:Cornell, Yale, NYU. R2: Haas, MIT, Ross
GMAT 2: 710  Q48  V39
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Schools:CBS, MIT, Kellogg, Wharton
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Schools:CBS, MIT, Kellogg, Wharton
Send PM
Re: OXFORD MFE 2009 [#permalink]
ventivish,

I currently live in the States and didn't get a chance to visit Oxford. Which is one thing I regret. I am not sure what to advise you, moreover, I don't know if I am in a position to. In general, they say that your first application (which means mostly your personal statement) is always the weakest. Keep that in mind. I think it is true.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Raptr,
There arent that many people applying for finance masters who browse these forums so its hard to get an idea of the general profile of successful aplicants. I am just going to give it my best shot I guess. Thank you for your reply.Good Luck!!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Did anyone receive for interview from oxford MFE 2009 r1 applicants?

I did not...so was jsut wondering

Kshitij
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Send PM
justkshitij wrote:
Did anyone receive for interview from oxford MFE 2009 r1 applicants?

I did not...so was jsut wondering

Kshitij

Received a reply just now from oxford. A reject for me...for 2009 r1 mfe
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Hi justkshitij.
I have not yet applied to Oxford MFE, I was planning to apply for R1, however I could not schedule a suitable date for my GMAT. I plan on applying for R2. I am sorry to hear about your reject. Could you please share your profile and also you application experience? It would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you so much. Did you apply to LSE? They have a pretty good program in finance too, I went to the summer school last year and I was impressed by the quality of teaching.
Cheers
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
 Q49  V42
Send PM
I'd love to hear some actual profiles for acceptees/rejects at Oxford. I'm sitting at a 730-750 on my practice GMATs so far, so I think I'm close to having the necessary scores for entry, but since all of you are getting dinged...
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Send PM
Ya know, there's really no way to determine accurately whether your application would be successful without you actually applying to the program. That being said, I'll just throw my profile out there.

I have degrees in mathematics and economics from a research university in the states and am expecting a master degree in applied math either in May or August of 2009. I scored a nice 780 on the gmat, but unfortunately, my background has some gaps and isn't really orthodox in terms of business. Sadly, there isn't really any finance specific experience either. The MFE website states that experience isn't really required, but that might be more so for fresh college graduates. Anyway, I'll be interviewed by professor Dimitrios Tsomocos on the 27th this week, and if the other information online are of any indication, I won't know how things will turn out until late december/early january.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Hey Testmonkey goodluck on your interview!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
Hi! Anybody has an idea about the success rate of Rd3 application?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Send PM
I have no idea. From other interview impressions online, it seems as if applicants all have a decent shot in round 3. Personally I wouldn't wait until round 3 if I could apply in round 2 though.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
I'd love to hear some of your profiles as well, as I only have a 720 and it seems like the average score is a 730. (I'm starting to worry about the AWA score as well.)

I would re-sit the GMAT if I could, but if I did then I think I won't be able to make it for R2.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
I don't know your application or your profile, but I would recommend taking your time and making your application as presentable as possible before submitting. If you feel that you could do a lot better on the GMAT with a retake then all the better, but 10 to 20 test score points wouldn't really matter much imho.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance
Schools:LSE, Oxford, Warwick
Send PM
How did that interview go? I'm finishing up my application for rd 2.

What are my chances for a place in the 09 class?
I got a 3.85gpa in BSc Business - Finance
710 for Gmat 92nd percentile ,Q47 (79%) V41 (92%) 6.0 Writing

No work experience but I have had a school year internship at ML - Global Private Client & a summer analyst program at a boutique PE firm.

I feel a little.. intimidated...
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
I don't want to jinx my chances by talking about the interview yet; but I will post it once the admission results come in in January.

I think your profile looks fine; though because the course is very quantitative, you might have to try a little hard to convince them that you're capable of doing the upper level math involved in the program(i.e. stochastic differential equations and numeric programming). Otherwise, your financial sector experiences at ML and the PE firm would make great conversation starters during the interview.

Applying to a high profile school/ job is always a little intimidating; but I think everyone has something unique to offer. You might as well be yourself. If they don't like that then its their loss.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance
Schools:London Business School, Oxford, LSE
Send PM
Hello everyone

I am a candidate to the Oxford MFE course beginning in 2009 and applied in R1. I got an interview call. Waiting for the results now on 9th Jan.
Any other candidates waiting for the same? I have also applied to LBS MiF and LSE MSc in Finance. Got an iv call with LBS as well.

Profile: 720 GMAT; comp engg, 3 yrs work-ex at an investment bank in technology and finance, certified FRM, took CFA Level 1 in dec 08
Intern
Intern
 Q49  V42
Send PM
Thanks all for posting your profiles, it makes me feel a little better about my chances. G-day is on Thursday for me, my latest GMATPrep practices have all come in between 730-750 depending on how bad I rush the verbal...

I'm 3.75 undergrad GPA in Finance, with 1-ish year of work experience in a regional bank in mortgage pricing and secondary marketing, looking at LSE and Oxford as my hopeful schools with Vanderbilt / UFlorida here in the states as sort of fallbacks. I hope waiting this late in the app cycle doesn't hurt my chances any, but then again I've read that applying in R1 at Oxford is sometimes more competitive.

Wish me luck on the test, MSF applicants!
Intern
Intern
 Q49  V42
Send PM
Q49 V42... 750 time to burn through some applications!
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   
Moderator:
Senior Moderator - Masters Forum
3137 posts