Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 14:46 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 14:46

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 10035 [4]
Given Kudos: 361
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Other
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2011
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V40
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 39 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 10035 [0]
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 349 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Schools:Chicago Booth '11
 Q50  V38
Send PM
Re: trick with human memory [#permalink]
that's impressive. I don't think I can do it but I can imagine from psych class that you could break them into chunks. Let's say 7 I think is the most one normal person can usually juggle. Then create a story that plays out within those 7 to remember the words. Then do the same to connect those to the other chunks. This is probably not the method because I dont think I could do this in 2 minutes , but I guess with practice people can.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 4317 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
curious to know the trick..
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 10035 [3]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
it is time to unveil the secret.... Terp26, you are very close!
Yes, the main idea is to create an unbelievable story that glue down all words.

the story should be characterize following major ideas:
- a strong logic stem
- the more unbelievable, striking the better
- imagination and astonishment

I try begin the story....

once I found a huge pear that could crush even the most powerful car. The shape and the size of the pear resembled the church in my town. I was angry and took a kitchen mixer to destroy the pear. After a week I found a huge endless hole inside the pear and a strange notebook that had keyboard with alien symbols and had a phrase on the screen: "take a parachute and jump".........

Guys, try again to remember 35 words :wink:

I guess it is very similar with GMAT reading when imagination, astonishment, logic stem can help memorize wield passages.... What do you think?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 143 [0]
Send PM
:yes I completely agree, the words should make sense to you, as if the author is narrating the story. Else it is a collection of words and structured in an organised fashion.

Until you are able to think they way author is and get involved, making logical sense of the whole para would be a very daunting task. If you understand the story, it is easy to work out the interpretation and hence create a memory.

Good point walker!!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 4317 [0]
Send PM
Cool. Thx Walker.
I think I came across this trick in my school days..never implemented it.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 349 [1]
Given Kudos: 12
Schools:Chicago Booth '11
 Q50  V38
Send PM
Kudos
+1 , yea that makes a lot of sense. Put the stem in your own words as you read (paraphrase) but as you do this exagerate or emphasize key words that you don't miss. For example, ALL of the people have brown hair, SOME have blue eyes. In your mind increase the volume whenever these limiting words come to you. After you do this as you read, go back and read it again quickly in your mind and reverse, so SOME have blue, ALL have brown.

Just an example for CR to help ingrain the stem in your head for those 2 minutes
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 256 [0]
Given Kudos: 66
Send PM
This is the reason why i say Walker is Walker!Unlimited kudos Sir!!!
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 642 [0]
Concentration: Social Enterprise
Schools:Wharton'11 HBS'12
Send PM
damn i only remembered 20 of these words...
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 54 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
Schools:Kellogg Class of 2011
 Q49  V44
Send PM
I think I need to develop better story-telling skills.

That's a pretty interesting method though. Kudos!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 79 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
walker wrote:

- a strong logic stem

once I found a huge pear that could crush even the most powerful car. The shape and the size of the pear resembled the church in my town. I was angry and took a kitchen mixer to destroy the pear. After a week I found a huge endless hole inside the pear and a strange notebook that had keyboard with alien symbols and had a phrase on the screen: "take a parachute and jump".........

I guess it is very similar with GMAT reading when imagination, astonishment, logic stem can help memorize wield passages.... What do you think?

Yeah, it is a nice trick.. I was told about it at Uni.. I have never tried it though. But I think it works.

I was talking to my friend the other day. She said she did some test on reading and did almost all questions correct. Though she did not get what it was all about. Trick - She is a math-lover. And she said that she was simply using connections between the words in the questions and in the passage..She treated the passage like a math problem.. I did not try the approach.. I think it is similar to the one described in the other post: to scan for Key Words and use them to answer questions.

Some more thoughts on RC... (do not organize your AWA this way :wink: )

As for me to get the idea is the most important . LSAT passages are great help here. Frankly, GMAT passages are not that difficult when you go through LSAT RC sections. I was very frustrated at the beginning, cause some are pretty tough.. and I made lots mistakes. I remember one passage I could not get until I actually read the explanation to it.
In LSAT reading section there are 4 passages (mostly long ones) and 35 minutes to finish (about 26-28 questions in general). But after some days of constant practice GMAT passages do not seem to be that bad at all. Practice is the best here.. It truly is.
So, if you have time try that also.

Oh, and some more tips
1.I do make notes (very quick ones and mostly for the main paragraph). I never get back to them (trying to understand what I wrote can take too much time :wink: ). But they are helpful cause you actually remember them.
2. Speed reading is must. Improve here. I have some docs I found on other forums and web sites. So if anybody needs them, let me know.. I will also try to go through them and organize a bit in the next couple of days.
3. Close reading is indeed very helpful. And it does work when you read close. Personally, I like those passages. They are cool. You can learn smth new from them 8-)

P.S. I actually noticed that RC and CR indeed stay in memory for a long time.. Sentence corrections... unless you missed something in the explanation before you will probably repeat your mistake.. So, I would suggest practice SC until you know you got the trick but pick new CR problems and RC passages for practice.

Best of luck to everybody!!!!!!!!!!!!!
SVP
SVP
Send PM
Expert Reply
Thanks guys, I see that you like my story :) Maybe I am not 100% confident how to apply this method to boring social passages but I have to add that "exaggeration", as mentioned Terp26 (+1), is a very helpful method to transform the boring passages into fascinating stories and to trigger our memory....
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 10035 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Chica, thanks for your post! (+1)
chica wrote:
2. Speed reading is must. Improve here. I have some docs I found on other forums and web sites. So if anybody needs them, let me know..

I would be very much obliged to you if you share the docs with us :roll:
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 298 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Schools:Oxford'10
 Q49  V37
Send PM
I read an article about the first female chess grandmaster and how she mastered chess based on memorizing chess "blocks" (collection of pieces). read more about her here https://www.susanpolgar.com/ .

Its funny, I sometimes wish my memory wasn't so good so I could do GMATPrep over and over and it would be an accurate indicator!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 79 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
walker wrote:
Chica, thanks for your post! (+1)
chica wrote:
2. Speed reading is must. Improve here. I have some docs I found on other forums and web sites. So if anybody needs them, let me know..

I would be very much obliged to you if you share the docs with us :roll:

Here you go..
I added to one doc the most intersting and valuable tips on RC and speed reading (you can find most of them on the ScoreTop forum- the links are attached)

Hope, this will be of some help.
Attachments

RC SpeedReading.zip [43.55 KiB]
Downloaded 438 times

Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 6809 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Finance
Schools:CBS, Kellogg
Send PM
Hey Walker, it is long time to see you! :lol:

chica wrote:
walker wrote:

- a strong logic stem

Yeah, it is a nice trick.. I was told about it at Uni.. I have never tried it though. But I think it works.

I was talking to my friend the other day. She said she did some test on reading and did almost all questions correct. Though she did not get what it was all about. Trick - She is a math-lover. And she said that she was simply using connections between the words in the questions and in the passage..She treated the passage like a math problem.. I did not try the approach.. I think it is similar to the one described in the other post: to scan for Key Words and use them to answer questions.

Some more thoughts on RC... (do not organize your AWA this way :wink: )

As for me to get the idea is the most important . LSAT passages are great help here. Frankly, GMAT passages are not that difficult when you go through LSAT RC sections. I was very frustrated at the beginning, cause some are pretty tough.. and I made lots mistakes. I remember one passage I could not get until I actually read the explanation to it.
In LSAT reading section there are 4 passages (mostly long ones) and 35 minutes to finish (about 26-28 questions in general). But after some days of constant practice GMAT passages do not seem to be that bad at all. Practice is the best here.. It truly is.
So, if you have time try that also.

Oh, and some more tips
1.I do make notes (very quick ones and mostly for the main paragraph). I never get back to them (trying to understand what I wrote can take too much time :wink: ). But they are helpful cause you actually remember them.
2. Speed reading is must. Improve here. I have some docs I found on other forums and web sites. So if anybody needs them, let me know.. I will also try to go through them and organize a bit in the next couple of days.
3. Close reading is indeed very helpful. And it does work when you read close. Personally, I like those passages. They are cool. You can learn smth new from them 8-)

P.S. I actually noticed that RC and CR indeed stay in memory for a long time.. Sentence corrections... unless you missed something in the explanation before you will probably repeat your mistake.. So, I would suggest practice SC until you know you got the trick but pick new CR problems and RC passages for practice.

Best of luck to everybody!!!!!!!!!!!!!
SVP
SVP
Send PM
Expert Reply
sondenso wrote:
Hey Walker, it is long time to see you! :lol:

:-D I'm now preparing for TOEFL (16 May)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1905 [0]
Given Kudos: 21
Send PM
It is an old thread, but found interesting

walker wrote:
35 words: ~1 min.

pear, car, church, mixer, notebook, parachute, cheese, luster, chief, Sun, bug, hair, water, house, cat, MBA, brick, elephant, death, library, hole, book, dean, dinosaur, soldier, cherry, shop, bus, window, rat, ball, food, iPod, salary, table.

minimize the window with the post and write out all words in the same sequence....

Yes i did, got all correct, and am here to share my logical connection of story..

A pear went in a car to a church, there is a mixer inside the church, the mixer is on a notebook , the notebook has a picture of a parachute, a man in the parachute eating cheese, that lusters, the man is a chief ( in army may be), he sees a sun so bright, he feels a big bug is crawling on the sun, the bug's hair is clearly visible, at the end of the hair is a water droplet, that water droplet dropped down to earth and shatterd a house, a cat ran out of the house in fear, which has a medal with MBA, stands on a brick, an elephant crushes the brick and the cat, cat dies- death and burried near by a library , a shelf in the library has a big hole , when looked in to the hole there is a book, when turned the first page, my college dean appears, he turns in to dinosaur , the dinosaur runs in a field with so many soldiers, one of the soldier is eating a cherry, the same cherry is sold in a shop, while a bus crashes the window of the shop, all rats in the shop runs , while one of it slids over a rolling ball( as jerry does), it sees a delicious food, the food is a picture found in my ipod, bought on my first salary, that got in hand over a table from my boss. I even typed it again without referring.

the technique used is associative memory technique, memory pegs can also be used for this.
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
GRE Forum Moderator
13957 posts