Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 06:56 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 06:56

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 168 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 698 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship, Digital Media & Entertainment
Schools:UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
 Q51  V41
GPA: 3.9 - undergrad 3.6 - grad-EE
WE 1: Social Gaming
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 73 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
WE 1: Hi-tech Product Development
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 215 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Investment Management
Schools:CBS, Cornell, Duke, Ross, Darden
Send PM
Re: Calling UCLA Fall 2008 Applicants [#permalink]
Just got an interview after being waitlisted on 3/27.

Woohoo!!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
Congrats!!!
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
 Q51  V41
Send PM
congrats ryguy!!!
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 71 [1]
Given Kudos: 15
Concentration: Finance, International Business
Schools:Kellogg Class of 2011
Kudos
Can anyone comment on UCLA's IB placement in areas other than CA? It seems that 9-12% of the class successfully go into the field, but the stats on the website are not clear what location these grads end up in. Since almost 80% of the class stays in CA, I am wondering how easy or hard it is to get an IB job in NYC, Chicago, etc. Thanks.

BTW, I am an '09 applicant trying to narrow down my list. I am pretty sure of 4 of the 5 schools I am planning to apply to. The 5th spot will probably be either UCLA, Cornell, or Michigan.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 291 [1]
Concentration: Investment Banking
Schools:Chicago (dinged), Tuck (November), Columbia (RD)
Send PM
Kudos
maverick2011 wrote:
Can anyone comment on UCLA's IB placement in areas other than CA? It seems that 9-12% of the class successfully go into the field, but the stats on the website are not clear what location these grads end up in. Since almost 80% of the class stays in CA, I am wondering how easy or hard it is to get an IB job in NYC, Chicago, etc. Thanks.

BTW, I am an '09 applicant trying to narrow down my list. I am pretty sure of 4 of the 5 schools I am planning to apply to. The 5th spot will probably be either UCLA, Cornell, or Michigan.

A current student told me the following: UCLA is a strong finance school with a good placement record in IB. However, only a small percentage of the class is really interested in doing IB - a lot more is interested in consulting, entertainment, and marketing. For the ones that are focused and determined to get IB - they generally get it.

As far as placement within CA or NYC, he told me that most firms love to take UCLA students and have them work in NYC. The issue at play here is simple supply and demand. There are a lot more openings available in NYC than there are UCLA students who want to work in NYC. Most UCLA students want to stay in California, and there are less openings in California than there are in NYC. As far as placements into Chicago - I'm really unsure. I can understand why you would want to work in NYC over California, but I can't come up with any logical reason you'd want to work in Chicago over LA/SF unless you have family/friends there or have a particular love for serving conservative/old line industrials-oriented clients.

IMO, if you want to work in California - UCLA > Cornell and Michigan by a longshot. If you want to work in NYC - Michigan > UCLA > Cornell. My reasoning for putting UCLA ahead of Cornell on NYC is due to the level of competition at Cornell for NYC IB positions compared to UCLA.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 71 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Concentration: Finance, International Business
Schools:Kellogg Class of 2011
terp06,
Thanks for the great info. I'll continue to evaluate the 3 schools in the coming months and try to decide which makes the most sense for me.

I agree that NYC or CA makes more sense than Chicago. Another possible post-MBA location is Houston since I may focus on the energy sector. I didn't realize there was much IB opportunity in LA. I always assumed that West Coast IB opportunities were all in SF...
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 291 [0]
Concentration: Investment Banking
Schools:Chicago (dinged), Tuck (November), Columbia (RD)
Send PM
maverick2011 wrote:
terp06,
Thanks for the great info. I'll continue to evaluate the 3 schools in the coming months and try to decide which makes the most sense for me.

I agree that NYC or CA makes more sense than Chicago. Another possible post-MBA location is Houston since I may focus on the energy sector. I didn't realize there was much IB opportunity in LA. I always assumed that West Coast IB opportunities were all in SF...

Moelis & Co, UBS, Credit Suisse all have large offices in LA and they are very reputable shops. Most of the other bulge brackets have very small offices. Goldman is tiny in LA, for example. There is more opportunity in SF for sure, don't get me wrong. But there is plenty in LA as well - SoCal has a very dynamic and diversified economy.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
 Q51  V41
Send PM
did anyone else get the UCLA application survey? It asks you to rate and comment their application process, their website, infosessions, admissions office, and brand image. I definitely provided my "constructive criticisms". :P
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 308 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Health Care Marketing
Schools:Ross '10
Send PM
I got it. The $50 gift card sounded nice, but then I saw that only 1 person would get it. My first feedback would be to tell them to give $5 to everyone who completes the survey and not just promise an entry. :lol:

kryzak wrote:
did anyone else get the UCLA application survey? It asks you to rate and comment their application process, their website, infosessions, admissions office, and brand image. I definitely provided my "constructive criticisms". :P
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Send PM
So what's is gonna be NC? Ross or UCLA?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 49 [0]
Send PM
Had my interview yesterday on campus with Jessica L. Fairly standard format - it was conversational but not too relaxed. The usual suspects - "Why MBA, why now, why Anderson, teamwork example, challenge you overcame, how has that shaped you, clubs you'd participate in, what would you do for fun etc. outside classwork..." and one that threw me for a minute, "Tell me about a disappointment in your life." She seemed to relate to what I was saying, at least a bit, and clearly appreciated that I had flown out from NY for the interview. She also noted the students that I'd spoken with - I set up an informal chat/lunch for myself w/the current president of the Entertainment Management Association, and obviously she knew the guy quite well. Took a TON of notes. :shock:
After lunch, I wandered about the campus taking pictures and sticking my nose into buildings. Students were all very warm and friendly, and the facilities were astonishing. Top of the line stuff. Anderson students I met were a nice combination of ambitious gunners and well-balanced folk. Can't think of a better place to learn to launch my film production company, so everybody cross your fingers and do your hay-making rain dances for me, ok?? :lol:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Send PM
sounds like your interview went really well. good luck!!!
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
 Q51  V41
Send PM
congrats on the good interview and good luck, uphill! Seems like you had the same great experience I had at UCLA when I visited! :)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 49 [0]
Send PM
Thanks rapid, kry...yeah, I was really impressed with the school and how welcoming everybody was. Lots of smart happy people running around - I dig that! Now comes the wait....*sigh*
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
I'm just curious. For all of you who were admitted, what is your intended area of study and your short term goal?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
has anyone interviewed with Jennifer Tabbush at Anderson? I think she is an associate adcom. My interview with her is this Monday.

Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks!
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
 Q51  V41
Send PM
never interviewed with her, but she is a very nice person based on conversations at A-Days. Just be yourself and know the school (and yourself) and you should be fine!
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  25   26   27   28   29   30   31   32   33   34   35   36