Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 00:18 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 00:18

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 222 [0]
Given Kudos: 31
Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy, MC
Schools:Kellogg '11
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 155 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Concentration: Finance
Schools:Kellogg Class of 2011
 Q48  V39
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 41 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
 Q49  V41
Send PM
Re: lesser-known company? [#permalink]
ac8706 wrote:
Hi folks,
Just wondering: the company where I currently work (and from which I have all full-time experience) is not very well known outside the industry. Within the healthcare informatics field, it's very well known and respected but! outside the field, I don't think most have heard of it.

Will this impact my application negatively? Anything I can do to prevent that?

Thanks for your help,
AC.

I don't think this is an issue - it'll be all about your essays and your work experiences. I met tons of people (including myself) at admit weekends who worked for small companies or large companies I had never heard of (along with plenty of the usual suspects as well).

If you are really concerned about it, have one of your recommenders write a 2-3 sentence writeup on your company in one of your recs putting your work experiences into the appropriate context.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 72 [0]
Send PM
I work for a small regional bank ($6B in assets). I think this actually helped me because I get more hands-on experience compared to banks with thousands upon thousands of employees. As others have said, it will come down to your experience in your essays, and coming from a small company might help you with that.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
I agree with the other posters - I've worked at two companies, one is 'the' name in the field and the other is barely known (and a lot smaller). While having the name on my resume was great, it was the experience at the no-name company that I could really talk about (and, from a non-application standpoint, was really interesting). Makes me really think about how much (or if) I want to return to another large, well known company after school...
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 222 [0]
Given Kudos: 31
Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy, MC
Schools:Kellogg '11
Send PM
Thanks everyone for your thoughts. I had already planned to talk about what my company does in my essays - thanks for the suggestion to have my recommenders include that in their letters as well!

Also, I definitely get more hands-on experience than friends in similar roles at the bigger name companies - thanks for suggestion that I emphasize that!

thanks!
GMAT Club Bot