Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 16:00 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 16:00

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1682 [30]
Given Kudos: 210
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [5]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
General Discussion
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 10035 [0]
Given Kudos: 361
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Other
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2011
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V40
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2074 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Re: Anthropologist : The culture responsible for the [#permalink]
I think its C .

Iron and fire used to inscribe Vs Shoes( choice A ) Vs Patience ( choice C )

Shoes is just one finding associated with the burglary not essential for burglary while paitience was required to design the car.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1574 [0]
Send PM
bsd_lover wrote:
Anthropologist : The culture responsible for the inscriptions at the site must have used fire to fashion iron implements. Of the Xa, Ye, Zi, the three cultures known to have inhabited this area surrounding this site, the Xa could obtain iron but could not use fire to fashion implements and the Ye had no access to iron. Therefore the Zi is the only culture known to be from the surrounding area that could have made these inscriptions.

The reasoning in which one of the following arguments most closely parallels the reasoning used in the argument :

A) Whoever committed the burglary wore size nine shoes. Of the three suspects in custody, Jensen, Kapp and Lomax, neither Jensen nor Lomax could have worn size nine shoes. Of the three suspects in custody, therefore, nobody but Kapp could be the burglar.

B) Anyone wishing to file a claim must first send a check and then visit the bureau. Of Quinn, Robins, and Su, Robins and Su each sent a check and visited the bureau, so Robins and Su can each file a claim.

C) The person who designed the Ultra 180 must have been a very patient person. Of three well known designers, Morris, Nieves, and Ott, who worked for the Ultra's when the Ultra 180 was designed, Morris and Ott were both impatient people. Therefore, Nieves is the only person who could have designed the Ultra 180.

D) Anyone aspiring to public office must have a quick wit and a ready smile. Of my friends Gail, Harry, and Ida, only Harry and Ida are aspiring to the public office, so only Harry and Ida could have both a quick wit and a ready smile.

E) Whoever wrote this letter to me signed it "Tony". Since I do not know anyone who signs letters with that name, the writer of this letter could only have been someone whom I do not know.

C. In my opinion, two premises do not quite relate to each other, and C fits that.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 587 [0]
Send PM
Anthropologist : The culture responsible for the inscriptions at the site must have used fire to fashion iron implements. Of the Xa, Ye, Zi, the three cultures known to have inhabited this area surrounding this site, the Xa could obtain iron but could not use fire to fashion implements and the Ye had no access to iron. Therefore the Zi is the only culture known to be from the surrounding area that could have made these inscriptions.

The reasoning in which one of the following arguments most closely parallels the reasoning used in the argument :

A) Whoever committed the burglary wore size nine shoes. Of the three suspects in custody, Jensen, Kapp and Lomax, neither Jensen nor Lomax could have worn size nine shoes. Of the three suspects in custody, therefore, nobody but Kapp could be the burglar.

C) The person who designed the Ultra 180 must have been a very patient person. Of three well known designers, Morris, Nieves, and Ott, who worked for the Ultra's when the Ultra 180 was designed, Morris and Ott were both impatient people. Therefore, Nieves is the only person who could have designed the Ultra 180.

I was also stuck between A and C - chose C only because of the similar language used 'must have used fire to fashion iron implements' // 'must first send a check and then visit the bureau'
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1682 [0]
Send PM
Some excellent attempts here. I have the OA and OE handy, but I'll wait for more people before I put them out.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 145 [0]
 Q50  V40
Send PM
bsd_lover,

this one is good. I have seen it before so wont put answer here.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 143 [0]
Send PM
Wow there we go again. I love this climax ending for all CR questions. I went for answer option A (but somehow the 6th sense made me suspicious)! Will wait for the explanation.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1682 [0]
Send PM
Good discussion guys - OA is actually A. OE to follow...
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1682 [3]
Send PM
Kudos
The OE goes to great lengths to describe why its not C :
"The reasoning in C is superficially very close to the reasoning in the anthropologists argument, but the one giveaway is the conclusion. The conclusion is not qualified the way it would have to be in order to be parallel to the conclusion in the anthropologists argument. The conclusion of C does not say, as it would have to , that out of the three designers being considered, the only one who could have designed the product is the third. Also note that C differs from the anthropologist's argument in that it doesn't rule out the possibility that the manufacturer may have employed other designers besides the three."

Source - LSAT Superprep - Difficulty level 4/5 (yup LSAT actually rates its CRs).

+1 to carlson for hitting the nail on the head.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 10035 [0]
Given Kudos: 361
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Other
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2011
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V40
Send PM
Expert Reply
Excellent OE !
+1 and +1 to carlson
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 256 [0]
Given Kudos: 66
Send PM
Good one Bsd_lover.Lsat have all kinds of questions,whether be parallel reasoning or infer questions.That too 26 questions in short span of time...indeed tough...
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [1]
Given Kudos: 92
Send PM
Kudos
bsd_lover wrote:
The OE goes to great lengths to describe why its not C :
"The reasoning in C is superficially very close to the reasoning in the anthropologists argument, but the one giveaway is the conclusion. The conclusion is not qualified the way it would have to be in order to be parallel to the conclusion in the anthropologists argument. The conclusion of C does not say, as it would have to , that out of the three designers being considered, the only one who could have designed the product is the third. Also note that C differs from the anthropologist's argument in that it doesn't rule out the possibility that the manufacturer may have employed other designers besides the three."

Source - LSAT Superprep - Difficulty level 4/5 (yup LSAT actually rates its CRs).

+1 to carlson for hitting the nail on the head.

I am still confused between A and C. Could someone please explain?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 200 [2]
Given Kudos: 3
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V33
GMAT 2: 690 Q49 V34
GPA: 3.86
WE:Analyst (Advertising and PR)
Send PM
Kudos