Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 22:03 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 22:03

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 144 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
Schools: Hong Kong University of Science and Technology (HKUST) - Class of 2010
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 332 [0]
Send PM
Re: The NFL DRAFT -- My Thoughts [#permalink]
Not a Jets fan, but they need to draft McFadden, given the opportunity. They have no explosiveness, save for Leon Washington returning kicks.

As a Giants fan, the obvious need is at safety and drafting Miami's Kenny Phillips, but they haven't had a stud linebacker in a while. Hope they can find a diamond in the rough.

Vernon Gholston -- overrated. He's a combine freak who was mostly unseen during Ohio State games.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Send PM
kidderek wrote:
Not a Jets fan, but they need to draft McFadden, given the opportunity. They have no explosiveness, save for Leon Washington returning kicks.

As a Giants fan, the obvious need is at safety and drafting Miami's Kenny Phillips, but they haven't had a stud linebacker in a while. Hope they can find a diamond in the rough.

Vernon Gholston -- overrated. He's a combine freak who was mostly unseen during Ohio State games.

The Jets will take Mcfadden is he is available, but the Raiders draft ahead of the Jets. And with that old, senile man Al Davis who knows what they will do. Sure they have Fargas,Jordan,Rhodes, and Bush, but Al Davis loves speed and Mcfadden has alot of speed. I'm still a little weary of Mcfadden and his lower body strength. His legs look like twigs and he never fell forward in college.

I read in a few places that when Tyree gets back from his surgery, the Giants will try him at safety. Interesting. Phillips would be a great fit for the Giants, but I do not know if he'll last until their pick. The safety crop this year is very weak, so if you don't get Phillips you should just wait until the late 2nd or 3rd round. The LB crop does not have any ELITE talent, but it has alot of very good depth. Mayo might be gone before the Giants pick, but Rivers and/or Connor will be available. All three are very versatile.

I think Gholston is overrated but he won't be a bust. He reminds me alot of Osi Umeniyora coming out of college.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Concentration: Econ
Schools:Chicago Booth
Send PM
I think if Gholston goes early (#2 or #3) you will see a trade up probably with the Saints so someone can get Dorsey...

As for me (season ticket holding Bears fan) I am getting ready for dissapointment tomorrow
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Send PM
I am a cowboy fan and with two first round picks I am expecting hopefully something good. If McFadden drops past the jets say to around pick 9, I see the cowboys trading up. Wouldn't mind dropping down the boards a few spots if it means picking up an extra 2nd or possibly a 1st next years draft. The dam browns did better than expected this past season. :oops:
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 308 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Health Care Marketing
Schools:Ross '10
Send PM
So, Matt Ryan went to Atlanta and the stupid raiders(I am a fan) took McFadden. Why do you need to draft a RB this high when you have dominic rhodes and have a multi-million dollar RB in Justin Fargas? I am all for a 1-2-3 punch from the back field but not when there are other pressing needs in the offense...
SVP
SVP
Send PM
Sometimes, you just gotta take the best player on the board. I think McFadden might be the best player in the entire draft, could be the next Ladainian Tomlinson.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 308 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Health Care Marketing
Schools:Ross '10
Send PM
For someone to be great, other "good" people need to be around. Look what happened to Shaun Alexander after Hutchinson, and what happended to Brady in SB after his O-line turned in a poor performance. Football is a team game and the raiders are not going to be able to turn their game around just because of McFadden.

McFadden is not going to be the last "potential" LT or Jim Brown. There will be others. They said the same thing about Reggie Bush couple of years ago. The Texans had the guts to make the right choice; All Al does is spend stupid money on the wrong people. Tommy Kelly, Anyone!

kidderek wrote:
Sometimes, you just gotta take the best player on the board. I think McFadden might be the best player in the entire draft, could be the next Ladainian Tomlinson.
SVP
SVP
Send PM
Whoa whoa, step on the brakes. Who said anything about last potential LT or Jim Brown? I said he has the potential to be an LT.

Where were the Chargers before LT arrived? They were a mess of a team as well. Shaun Alexander was done b/c he was overused. No great RB is going down b/c of one lineman.

I was addressing that fact that the Raiders have a crowded backfield, but none of whom is even remotely close to a McFadden.

Look at the Giants, they didn't NEED to draft Eli. They were only 2-3 yrs removed from a SB appearance w/Kerry Collins. But they gave up a ton of picks to get Eli. Paid off only a few (albeit tumultuous) years later.

ncprasad wrote:
For someone to be great, other "good" people need to be around. Look what happened to Shaun Alexander after Hutchinson, and what happended to Brady in SB after his O-line turned in a poor performance. Football is a team game and the raiders are not going to be able to turn their game around just because of McFadden.

McFadden is not going to be the last "potential" LT or Jim Brown. There will be others. They said the same thing about Reggie Bush couple of years ago. The Texans had the guts to make the right choice; All Al does is spend stupid money on the wrong people. Tommy Kelly, Anyone!

kidderek wrote:
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [0]
Given Kudos: 25
Schools:HBS R2, Stanford R2, Wharton R2, Columbia RD, Tuck R2, Darden R2, Texas R2
Send PM
ncprasad wrote:

With all due respect, your team is going to be awful so long as Leisure Suit Larry's grandfather in the track suit calls the shots - he is officially senile. The Raiders need help EVERYWHRE, but especially on the offensive side of the field. In recent years, the Raiders have made some of the WORST free agent signings in the history of the Western World (D'Angelo Hall for 70 MIL? Tommy Kelly for 50 MIL?), and still have a mediocre running game (behind a bust of a tackle named Robert Gallery). Oh yeah, they are also overdue to fire their coach - it has been one season.

I take an opposite opinion - it is unfortunate that McFadden will likely be stuck with a mediocre team for a good part of his career. He has the tools to be an excellent back, far better than the scrubs in the OAK backfield right now. I hate to see wasted talent. Trust me, no respectable team would build their running game around Huggy Bear's kid if they had a choice. When the Raiders are good, the NFL benefits. Al Davis is ruining your team. He really needs to hang it up, because right now the Raiders would make a great case study for business school.....
GMAT Club Bot