Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 20:20 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 20:20

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 48 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Organization and Management
Schools:Emory class of 2010
 Q49  V44
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Current Student
 Q49  V44
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 3902 [0]
Send PM
Re: Emory - Goizueta School of Business [#permalink]
hi, here's my question,

I'm a 33 year old IT professional ( I would rather call myself, an analyst, when we started loosing jobs to overseas market, I switched to a more overseeing role) , graduated in 2000 with a bachelor in science from University Of Texas.

Been part of the information world for a while, have lot's of experience in development , analysis and design. Been working as a lead now for about a year at my present company in atlanta.

Would like to know with my unique experience of the world (I came to the US as an international student, studies full time and woked full time) ended up with a 3.0 gpa (nothing to brag about), what are my chances of getting into part time mba programme at Emory.

I took gmat yesteday with a 620. ( I know I can do better) but with my experience I think that should be sufficient for the part time programme. I would like to get some insight as to a realistic chance. and what other measures would assist in achieving this objective.

Rgds.
Current Student
 Q49  V44
Send PM
alimad wrote:
hi, here's my question,

I'm a 33 year old IT professional ( I would rather call myself, an analyst, when we started loosing jobs to overseas market, I switched to a more overseeing role) , graduated in 2000 with a bachelor in science from University Of Texas.

Been part of the information world for a while, have lot's of experience in development , analysis and design. Been working as a lead now for about a year at my present company in atlanta.

Would like to know with my unique experience of the world (I came to the US as an international student, studies full time and woked full time) ended up with a 3.0 gpa (nothing to brag about), what are my chances of getting into part time mba programme at Emory.

I took gmat yesteday with a 620. ( I know I can do better) but with my experience I think that should be sufficient for the part time programme. I would like to get some insight as to a realistic chance. and what other measures would assist in achieving this objective.

Rgds.

Honestly, I can't really speak for the Part-time program, or its requirements. I don't know the average GPA, or GMAT scores. I do know that I got into the full time program with a 2.88 gpa, but my GMAT score was in the 700's. I would think your profile would fit quite well with what Emory likes, i.e. international experience and global leaders. If you tell your story right in your application you should be fine. But, if you feel like you should really score better on the GMAT, you may want to retake it.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 3902 [0]
Send PM
Question, does Emory offer any scholarships ?
Current Student
 Q49  V44
Send PM
alimad wrote:
Question, does Emory offer any scholarships ?

Yes, Emory is actually quite generous with their scholarships. As you would expect, with them trying to lure people away from the ultra elites.
Current Student
 Q49  V44
Send PM
I just wanted to announce that Emory has employed a new curriculum starting this year. If you'd like to read more about the increased flexibility along with increased practice being emplemented, feel free to visit emory's website and explore.

https://www.goizueta.emory.edu/degree/fu ... culum.html

I am going through this core right now, so if you have any questions, feel free to ask.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Send PM
Hi emoryhopeful

I registered for Super Saturday event that would be held on Sep 27th.

Do I need to attend the Friday night social event also?

I stay in Atlanta and rarely drink.Thanks.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
Hey Fall09 - I, like Emoryhopeful, am a first year student at Goizueta in the full-time program. I was living in Atlanta at the time I was going through the application process and attended two of the Super Saturdays. Don't feel like it is necessary to attend the Friday night social event, but it would be a good way to meet some of the current students and get your questions answered. If you don't make it to the Friday night events, you will certainly have some time with current students during Saturday's session. Let us know if you have any other questions. Looking forward to meeting you.

fall09 wrote:
Hi emoryhopeful

Current Student
 Q49  V44
Send PM
fall09 wrote:
Hi emoryhopeful

Also, I wanted to add that social events don't require drinking. Of course, there will be many people who drink, but there are also many who don't. Just because people are meeting out, don't feel that you will be out of place because you don't drink. We have Kegs in the courtyard every thursday on campus, but not everyone is compelled to drink, so you wouldn't be out of place.

Again, we look forward to meeting you when you come to campus. Best of luck.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Thanks guys.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
I attended Super Saturday event today and got a peek into Emory.

It appears to be a close knit school.
Current Student
 Q49  V44
Send PM
Fall, I'm glad you had the opportunity to visit us on our first Super Saturday. The close-knit community is no joke. We all take pride in that. I hope that I met you while you were here, and I just didn't know it. If you get a chance to visit again, just let me know and we can meet up. Let me know if you have any more questions about Emory, and if you have any suggestions about how we can improve super saturday, just message me.

Best of luck in your search.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 37 [0]
Concentration: 20% From Concentration
Schools:The School that shall not be named
 Q49  V38
Send PM
How's the new curriculum? Now that you are a bit more into it?

Also, a simple question:
In what areas are Emory's strength?
Finance, Marketing, Operations, Supply Chain, etc?

Thanks in advance.
Current Student
 Q49  V44
Send PM
There's definitely a love/hate relationship with the new curriculum. Obviously I want to put a positive spin on everything, but I'm going to be as honest as possible with both the good and the bad.

The Bad: It's new, so its a bit disorganized. The communication between professors on timing of assignments has been poor. We started school about 3 weeks before everyone else, and nothing on campus was ready for us yet, not even the professors. I have a feeling they were still doing last minute revisions on their classes up until the day of school. (understandable). And, its a ton to learn, in a short period of time.

The Good: We have a lot of the core nearly finished, and have the flexibility to take 4 elective courses next semester. The benefit is to take more classes we want to take, and less we have to take. Also, this give us even more time to network and meet second years in an actual class setting. The final block of the current semester is fairly light, allowing more time to focus on the internship search and networking opportunities. Now that we're further in, the Management Practice course (our dean's baby), is starting to really make sense and its becoming an effective course at bringing all of the core classes together in a single learning environment.

Emory's Strengths for functional areas:

Organization and Management(Leadership), Finance, Marketing, Consulting
There are definitely some great individual professors and classes in operations and supply chain but I wouldn't claim it as a core strength of the school.

Let me know if you have any more questions.

fatb wrote:
How's the new curriculum? Now that you are a bit more into it?

Also, a simple question:
In what areas are Emory's strength?
Finance, Marketing, Operations, Supply Chain, etc?

Thanks in advance.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 37 [0]
Concentration: 20% From Concentration
Schools:The School that shall not be named
 Q49  V38
Send PM
Ya, I have a few more questions....
I can't contact student club leaders, unlike the web page of the other schools.

In any case, I'll PM you if that's OK?
thanks....
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Whew!! I just submitted my application last night for the One-Year MBA Program. Now the hardest part - the wait - starts.

I attended the 10/25 Super Saturday and interviewed on the same day. The event was terrific and I got to chat with many students and a professor. I was surprised to see how many current students and alumni helped out that day.
Current Student
 Q49  V44
Send PM
Best of Luck 334!

334MBA wrote:
Whew!! I just submitted my application last night for the One-Year MBA Program. Now the hardest part - the wait - starts.

I attended the 10/25 Super Saturday and interviewed on the same day. The event was terrific and I got to chat with many students and a professor. I was surprised to see how many current students and alumni helped out that day.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
emoryhopeful wrote:
Best of Luck 334!

334MBA wrote:

Thanks emoryhopeful. Do you know how long it takes for the email with Opus ID/Password to arrive after submitting the online app?

Thanks!
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   3