Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 14:19 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 14:19

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 107 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Schools:Kellogg '10
 Q46  V47
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 166 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Analytic Finance, Economics and Strategic Management
Schools:Chicago Booth Class of 2010
 Q49  V44
Send PM
Re: Best B -Schools in Uk!!! [#permalink]
That's my personal ranking:
LBS

Oxford & Cambridge

Tanaka, Cranfield, Warwick, Henley, Ashridge, etc...

I strongly believe that in one decade, Oxford and Cambridge will be much more regarded, and they are gaining ground every year.

I don't think that there is such a thing as schools that are not worth attending, as everything depends on perspectives, goals, and many other factors.
Current Student
Send PM
rca215 wrote:
filmcity wrote:
Others are not worth attending if you are aspiring for a top of the line job.

:roll: :roll: :roll:

Cambridge and Oxford are also fine schools with strong international reputations. There are a few other schools, that I'm not too familiar with, that have strong domestic UK reputations as well.

I do not know much about Ox, but regarding Cam I am not sure whether they place you for the top jobs. Sure, there are some rotational programs which recruit from Cambridge, but they are very very few and recruit right at the beginning of the course.

For this year, there has been no IB placements. IBs visit during Oct-Nov, and they did not recruit anyone. Strange, that credit squeeze at that time affected only US market but the placements at Cam affected more than those at the top US schools. BCG invited some candidates for their Asia placement but did not recruit any. To know more about the activism put out at by the career service to increase the brand awareness please read this: https://www.iht.com/articles/2006/12/15/ ... spot16.php

I quote the relevant part: "Business students measure success by the jobs and salaries they can command. Cathy Butler, the school's director of MBA career service, said Judge graduates were seeing "increasing success," as measured by job offers and signing bonuses. Boston Consulting Group, however, said that it had hired just 13 Judge MBAs in the last decade; the firm's London office alone typically takes 10 to 15 business graduates a year. "We would want to hear a pitch from them that would show us they are attracting top students," said Richard Murray-Bruce, in charge of MBA recruiting in London."

Cambridge used to have that Cambridge-Oxford job fair which is no more, although Oxford is holding its own job fair. Where in Oxford 38% jobs are through campus placement, but in Cambridge there is hardly any campus placement.

This year, the MBA class will be finishing by mid-june and till now only around 20% got jobs.(https://mycambridgemba.blogspot.com/2008 ... s-day.html)

If you want to probe further, just ask career service how many students were recruited by M/B/B or any other top company targeted by you ( I did). They will hardly come up with any number. For instance, check their placement report. No number apart from salary figure!

Moreover, Cambridge last year increased its class size from 100 to 150, whereas career service did not increase its staff neither the available jobs have increased.

To add further worry, this year they are starting the Master in Finance programme, whereas till now there has not been any IB placement from MBA.

Now it is upto the reader to figure out!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
 Q48  V44
Send PM
huh!!! filmcity you seem to be squarely dissapointed by Judge. This just shows how much damage a dissatisfied customer can do to the company although I know that B schools like to view students more as their products rather than customers.
Current Student
Send PM
700willdo wrote:
huh!!! filmcity you seem to be squarely dissapointed by Judge. This just shows how much damage a dissatisfied customer can do to the company although I know that B schools like to view students more as their products rather than customers.

No, I am not disappointed with Judge. I realy like Judge and the people there.The place Cambridge is amazing to say the least. But what disappoints me is the career service there! Few years earlier Judge used to have better companies due to its Cam brand name and companies were ready to cut some slack since it was a new school. But in recent time quite a few company have stopped going there altogether ( Including the company I am right now working with). The Judge authority must pull up its socks asap!
BTW, clarification: I am no Judge student/ ex-student
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 144 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
Schools: Hong Kong University of Science and Technology (HKUST) - Class of 2010
Send PM
I can only give the perspectives from being British, about what it best based on subjective 'feelings' rather than empirical evidence and from my research when looking for schools in the UK.

The clear best school is LBS - its competitive with UE's
The up and coming schools are clearly - Cambridge and Oxford, i would expect these 2 schools to be amongst the elites very very soon mainly due to its brand. Probably the 2 most famous universities in the world.
The next lot which i would describe as Tier 2 in the UK would be :- Tanaka, Cranfield, Manchester
Then the next lot would be - Lancaster, Cass, Warwick, Ashridge, Henley (although very close to tier 2)
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1682 [0]
Given Kudos: 210
Send PM
Another thing to note is Tanaka is the b-school of Imperial College, a brand held in VERY high regard worldwide - almost always within top ten in the world.
VP
VP
 Q49  V44
Send PM
bsd_lover wrote:
Another thing to note is Tanaka is the b-school of Imperial College, a brand held in VERY high regard worldwide - almost always within top ten in the world.

Imperial College, LBS and LSE are part of the University of London.
SVP
SVP
Send PM
kwam, I dont think that is entirely accurate. You are partially correct, LBS and LSE are part of University of London :
https://www.london.ac.uk/305.html

But not imperial college : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Imperial_college
VP
VP
 Q49  V44
Send PM
"The University is a federal mega university made up of 31 affiliates(19 colleges and 12 institutes).[3] The nine larger colleges are Birkbeck, Goldsmiths, King's College London, the London Business School, the London School of Economics, Queen Mary, Royal Holloway, the School of Oriental and African Studies, and University College London (UCL). One of the best known colleges, Imperial College London, officially left the University of London during celebrations of its centenary on 9 July 2007.[4]"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/University_of_london
https://www.lon.ac.uk/653.html

When I went to visit LBS in April last year, I also went to South Kensigton tgo visit Imperial College (and the Royal COllege of Arts because of my Wife), and I remember that Imperial College was part of the Univerisity of London. Anyway it's not anymore, so I'm wrong. :oops:

I remember that by that time I though: "what the heck a University with 3 colleges offering MBAs???
SVP
SVP
Send PM
Yeah .. haha .. thats pretty unique.
Current Student
Send PM
As much as I like London (I lived there for 6 years and own a house there). I couldn't be a student there. It's far too expensive a place to live. I still visit there every year.. well mostly to sort out maintenance issues for my house :cry:
VP
VP
 Q49  V44
Send PM
Sorry about the Off Topic. I don't know about the best b-school in the UK, but I definitely know what is the best run competition there:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8tm5La2K ... re=related

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZC5ykhXD ... re=related

https://www.cheese-rolling.co.uk/
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 302 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Slightly off topic, how does INSEAD compare internationally to Ox or LBS?
Current Student
Send PM
INSEAD, LBS and IMD are the elite in Europe

Very Basic breakdown :-
INSEAD - Consulting
LBS - Finance
IMD - General Management (Industry)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 234 [0]
Schools:St Gallen, Cambridge, HEC Montreal
 Q48  V39
Send PM
kwam wrote:
LBS

Oxford & Cambridge

I have done my research concerning UK B-schools as back-ups (my 1st choice being INSEAD) and I tend to agree with that post.

However, I have a major concern with LBS: its cost.
A quick comparison between LBS and Oxford (in GBP)
Tuition Fee: LBS: 44,000 VS Oxford: 30,000 + 3,000 college fee
Living expenses: about 1,500 * 18 month VS 1,200 *12 month (extra GBP 300 for living in London)
6 month unearned salary (because of LBS' program longer duration) : 30,000 - 1/3 tax: 20,000 VS 0

and here we go:
total cost of LBS: 91K
total cost of Oxford: 47K

At equal cost, I would prefer LBS. But at double the cost of Oxford's, I'm not sure...
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 298 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Schools:Oxford'10
 Q49  V37
Send PM
lumone wrote:
kwam wrote:
LBS

Oxford & Cambridge

I have done my research concerning UK B-schools as back-ups (my 1st choice being INSEAD) and I tend to agree with that post.

However, I have a major concern with LBS: its cost.
A quick comparison between LBS and Oxford (in GBP)
Tuition Fee: LBS: 44,000 VS Oxford: 30,000 + 3,000 college fee
Living expenses: about 1,500 * 18 month VS 1,200 *12 month (extra GBP 300 for living in London)
6 month unearned salary (because of LBS' program longer duration) : 30,000 - 1/3 tax: 20,000 VS 0

and here we go:
total cost of LBS: 91K
total cost of Oxford: 47K

At equal cost, I would prefer LBS. But at double the cost of Oxford's, I'm not sure...

this from an LBS student i met:

LBS has interships, and the opportunity to do consulting projects that pay. Students who take the 18-21 month option have more time to do freelancer projects. London pays well. Do internship and freelance projects can net u £1000/week. so say u spend 10 weeks of the summer doing such projects, u will earn a little bit.

but yeah, overal LBS+London = very expensive
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Send PM
LBS is definitely the best
GMAT Club Bot