Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 07:31 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 07:31

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 72 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 61 [0]
Concentration: Investment Banking or Investment Management
Send PM
Current Student
Send PM
Current Student
Send PM
Re: Calling all Columbia Applicants for 2009! [#permalink]
IHTG,
It just came to me that you already visited the school recently, so congrats on that! How'd it go?!?! I have to keep better track of who is applying to Columbia next year! Rhyme was masterful at that this year.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 61 [0]
Concentration: Investment Banking or Investment Management
Send PM
PMd you
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Send PM
hmmm... I don't think the acceptance rate matters all that much. If Columbia is your first choice, the fact you are able to know the result much sooner is good.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 291 [0]
Concentration: Investment Banking
Schools:Chicago (dinged), Tuck (November), Columbia (RD)
Send PM
For those of you who are applying ED this Fall - when are you planning to visit campus?

I am not convinced that I want to apply ED yet, and I will definitely need to visit campus in order to make the judgement call. I am booked solid for May and June so far, which leaves me the months of July and August.

Does CBS allow visitors in July and August? Can you get a good feel for the school in July/August?

If I apply ED, I will most likely want to submit right around mid-August so I can possibly receive a decision before submitting a few R1 apps.
Current Student
Send PM
terp06 wrote:
For those of you who are applying ED this Fall - when are you planning to visit campus?

Does CBS allow visitors in July and August? Can you get a good feel for the school in July/August?

CBS does not have anything going on July or August, so you will not get a good feel for the school. I think applying in August is for those who have already visited the school the prior year or plan to visit after they submit--but already know that they want to go to CBS. I suggest that you visit the school early September, and if you've already been working on the essays you can submit the app right after you visit. Submitting your app in September is still early enough in the game to get the advantage. And, if you do not like the school enough to apply ED, just postpone your app until RD.

For everyone who knows that they want to apply ED, you can submit your app in August and then visit the school in September. I submitted my app in mid-September, and I wrote in my Optional Essay that I would be visiting at the end of September. Seemed to work out well.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 69 [1]
 Q48  V39
Send PM
Kudos
If you don't apply ED, make sure you apply before/on the scholarship deadline date. If you apply after that initial date, you will be waiting a LONG time to get a decision and will read venom on the businessweek forums of how "all the spots are already gone" even if you applied a day after.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Send PM
Hello,

I am planning to apply for ED as well. A month ago I visited Columbia through their student host program. It was really good. I recommend it to everyone who's applying for Columbia.

djhouse, congratulations on your admit! Lucky you! The school has such a beautiful campus and friendly students.
Current Student
Send PM
sng wrote:
Hello,

I am planning to apply for ED as well. A month ago I visited Columbia through their student host program. It was really good. I recommend it to everyone who's applying for Columbia.

djhouse, congratulations on your admit! Lucky you! The school has such a beautiful campus and friendly students.

Thank you! Let me know if I can be of help!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Send PM
Thanks djhouse for offering your help. Thanks to everyone who's sharing valuable knowledge from their 2008 application process.

*** I recently received a PM message about essay service from "Roy2008." Did anyone else get it?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 408 [0]
Given Kudos: 34
Concentration: Sustainable Development
Schools:Ross '12 (MBA/MS)
 Q49  V45
Send PM
sng wrote:
Thanks djhouse for offering your help. Thanks to everyone who's sharing valuable knowledge from their 2008 application process.

*** I recently received a PM message about essay service from "Roy2008." Did anyone else get it?

I got an email from him too. As far as I'm concerned he's just an advertisement spammer. He has one post on these boards and it was moved and edited by a moderator.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 380 [0]
Send PM
Hi DJHouse:
I'm a huge fan of CBS. The school had always been my first choice. Anyway, m planning to apply for Fall 2009 ED. Can you help evaluate my qualifications?
It would really help.
Thanks
Current Student
Send PM
redbeanaddict wrote:
Hi DJHouse:
I'm a huge fan of CBS. The school had always been my first choice. Anyway, m planning to apply for Fall 2009 ED. Can you help evaluate my qualifications?
It would really help.
Thanks

Sure, I will evaluate your profile, PM me. But, know that what I say means nothing if you do or do not have the quality application to go with it.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Send PM
accepted.com posted their analysis on the J-term essay topics analysis. In the practice and theory topic, it says 'Ideally, you would want to use an example where you used management principles to guide your team, office company, or club in solving a problem or completing a project.'

I found it to be an interesting idea. This essay can be used as leadership and teamwork essay as well. eh... except I have no idea what the management principles are. I think I'm going to stick with my original idea something I knew. But, this could be something you guys can use if you have experience with.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 222 [0]
Given Kudos: 31
Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy, MC
Schools:Kellogg '11
Send PM
I've been learning more about the HC and Pharma mgmt program Columbia has and am pretty impressed.

One thing I'm wondering: when you apply to a specific program such as HC/Pharma mgmt - is your app considered only in the context of that program or the entire business school? Do they look for fit at both?

cheers,
ac.
Current Student
Send PM
ac8706 wrote:
I've been learning more about the HC and Pharma mgmt program Columbia has and am pretty impressed.

One thing I'm wondering: when you apply to a specific program such as HC/Pharma mgmt - is your app considered only in the context of that program or the entire business school? Do they look for fit at both?

cheers,
ac.

Businessdoc is going that route, if I remember correctly, so he would be better suited to answer this quesiton. Nevertheless, I'll take a crack at it! :-D Your fit will definitely be with the CBS program because you will be still be working with classmates from the entire business school. However, you will need to substantiate fit with the HC/Pharma program. The "fit" that I am refering to is your reasoning for why you want to be part of that program, such as past WE or EC's in HC or Pharma industries. While other students are not part of that program will express their fit with entire school as well as other areas of the school, such as Value Investing, you will need to express your fit with the entire school and the HC/Pharma program.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Send PM
ac8706,
I am a Class of 2010 admit and will be pursuing a healthcare track at Columbia. While I think its most important to show enthusiasm for Columbia in general, the ways in which your application expresses your individual fit will be most important. I'm sure most Columbia applicants cite the New York City location and Columbia's reputation, for example, as reasons they are interested in the school, but, by appealing to your specific track (healthcare), you can really convince the adcom that you will contribute to Columbia and that Columbia will help you reach your future goals in the healthcare/pharma industry.
Also, I don't know this for a fact, but I do think that the directors of each specific program have a close link to admissions. I met with the director of the healthcare program when I was on the waitlist to discuss my goals, and I'm convinced it made all the difference; I was admitted shortly thereafter. He was candid with me, and told me that the supply of healthcare administration jobs exceeds the number of students interested in the provider side (which I am). Similarly, he told me that they were seeking to admit students from healthcare orgs that were not currently recruiting at Columbia, and he mentioned a specific company based on the West Coast.
Obviously, some of these factors will be outside of your control, but I do think its in your best interest to do all the research you can on the healthcare track and be sure to be very specific about how that program will contribute to your future success.
I'm happy to help in any way I can. I plan on becoming very involved with the Healthcare Industry Association when school starts, so I can keep you abreast of events and opportunities for prospective students.
Good luck!
Current Student
Send PM
Of the three active GMAT Clubbers who are going to CBS in the Fall, two are geared towards the Healthcare program. Pretty cool, considering the finance rep!
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  59