Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 13:27 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 13:27

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 39 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Schools:F2010 - HBS (R1 - denied w/o interview ), INSEAD (R1 - admitted), Wharton (R1 - waitlisted & ding), Ivey (R2 - admitted w/ 60% tuition)
 Q47  V40 GMAT 2: 710  Q45  V42
GPA: 3.8
WE 1: 3.5yrs as a Strategy Consultant - Big 4
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 64 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
Concentration: General Management
Schools:Harvard '11
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Own Kudos [?]: 3083 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE:Business Development (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Re: work ex. ........is it necessary in US bschools? [#permalink]
yat wrote:
Hi
I am doing BBA from india.this my second year.want to go US for mba
i want to know is work ex. compulsory for getting admission in good schools like stern,ross,chicago gsb etc.(thats wat i've selected)
well...all i want is a good career start.like most of harvard MBAs start with CEO or MD etc.
n what about IIMs.are they any good compared to institutes i mentioned above.
does good GMAT score (like 730 or so) help in getting admission without work ex.??
Well...I am too much confused about wat should i do to make my dream come true..., of being at good position without putting in less years....

Most Harvard MBAs do NOT start at CEO or MD. Do you really believe thats the case?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
GMAT is just one metric B-schools use to evaluate potential applicants. There will be a great deal of people applying to the top B-schools with very impressive GMAT scores.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 233 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Finance (Corp Fin, Financial Instruments)
Schools:NYU Stern 2009
Send PM
For about 90% of candidates, work experience is critical to making business school worthwhile. There are a few who maybe warrant admission immediately, but they too lose some of the values.

From completing your undergrad and getting a job, you begin to know what you do and don't like about careers, jobs, environments. Not even the greatest undergrad straight into school will get that, and it is lost value. You can only do school once, and you are wasting a bit of the value you have on knowing what you want to avoid.

I am sure there has been another few threads on contribution to class, and how more experience normally brings more value to the discussion (this is shown further by Exec MBAs, where they do not even grade classes because the contribution is incredible and hugely important beyond quizzes).

If you want to stay in education straight from undergrad, I don't think an MBA is the right thing. There are plenty other more targeted, academic masters that fit the bill better. That's my feeling, anyway.
GMAT Club Bot