Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 06:41 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 06:41

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72866 [0]
Given Kudos: 18857
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
Thanks BB and Graham. Your words comfort me.

By the way this is a great site. I wish I had known this site earlier.
Founder
Founder
Send PM
[#permalink]
Expert Reply
HC wrote:

Well, if you have any ideas how to possibly promote it out there, I am all listening.

Thank you for the thank you
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
bb wrote:
HC wrote:

Well, if you have any ideas how to possibly promote it out there, I am all listening.

Thank you for the thank you

Yes why not.

I am a avid surfer. Inspite of this (been looking for something like this for a few months) I could find the link only in some obscure posting in BW forums. I think one thing we can do is post a short message about this site in all the gmat or bschool discussions on the web. I have listed some of the sites where the discussions are hosted. Maybe you guys already know the sites.

https://www.mbastrategies.com
https://www.accepted.com

Another idea is to give some incentive to members who introduce new members ex. limited access to privileged material etc. Maybe an option can be provided like "tell a friend"

I hope this helps.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Advice needed on books [#permalink]
Hi BB,

Would like to seek your advice.

I am a non native english speaker and come from a non-math background (college).

I am facing some problems with my preparation so far. All the test prep books seem to assume some basic level of knowledge in algebra, arithmetic etc. In my case since I have not touched these for a long long time. Though I am able to deal with algebra and arithmetic problems so far, I feel a need to go back to basics. I also noticed that in GMAT one will be severely punished if ones basics are not clear.

Any suggestions which books will address these topics?

I remember reading somewhere in the discussion about schuams or something like that. Is this the title of the book?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
Hi HC,

If you want I can share my experience.

We are almost in the same boat. I had barely had any math (except everyday stuff) for about 10 years before I decided to start GMAT preparation. I've got a degree in languages, that's why all that time I was far than away from any thoughts about math. So to the point. The start was really terrible, I didn't even remember how to solve basic equations (do not tell anybody) :D

First of all I recomend you to start with private tutor from high school just to remember the basics. I don't know where do you live and how much time do you have, but in my case it didn't cost a lot and I started one year before the test date.(Had planty of time though) Begin here but don't get to bogged in in such kind of activity. Consider buying Kaplan Math workbook. I got the best results only after started to work with it. Study and use advice that BB as well as other guys gives away in math section and in discussions.

Wish you all the best,

Sergei
Founder
Founder
Send PM
Re: Advice needed on books [#permalink]
Expert Reply
HC wrote:
Hi BB,

Would like to seek your advice.

I am a non native english speaker and come from a non-math background (college).

I am facing some problems with my preparation so far. All the test prep books seem to assume some basic level of knowledge in algebra, arithmetic etc. In my case since I have not touched these for a long long time. Though I am able to deal with algebra and arithmetic problems so far, I feel a need to go back to basics. I also noticed that in GMAT one will be severely punished if ones basics are not clear.

Any suggestions which books will address these topics?

I remember reading somewhere in the discussion about schuams or something like that. Is this the title of the book?

I strongly agree with Sergei;

GMAT is the high school level. Schaum's is a series of books available from Amazon (I am still trying to put a review of one of those on my site, but I still did not buy one). Anyway, Schaum has books on things like Econ, Astronomy, Biology, and Math and Probability; they have 12 or 15 on Probability; really strange, but that's for advanced prep. Basics come from high school textbooks and Kaplan's Math Workbook.

One of the most difficult sections for an average test taker is Arithmetic - because it is full of little tricks and basics that many think they know. 70% of DS is based on Arithmetic; thus basics are more important than probability...

BB
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thanks Sergei and BB [#permalink]
Thanks guys. I am in pretty much the same shape as you were in Sergei. It is quite expensive here in Singapore to arrange for private classes. I am thinking of buying a basics book and doing it on my own. I have to say though that I am preparing since two months and picked up quite well but once in a while get stuck in the basics.

Hi BB is it this book that you have used for grammer?

https://images.amazon.com/images/P/08220 ... ZZZZZZ.gif
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 200 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Cliffs's structure is really excellent grammar book.
I brought this book from amazon bookstore when I heard BB and the others recommend consistently this book for preparing the SC of GMAT as well as the structure of TOEFL(if you need it).
My book version, TOEFL CBT, focus on more sentence structure but general strategy for solving question on other preptest book.
For an non-native English, to recognize structure on SC is more important than to be familiar with simple grammar concept.
In my preparing experience, I often can not judge which sentence is illogical because it might have misplace in phrase or the others.
To do well on SC seems to fortify English proficiency and depth; thus, I think to improve my grammar only is the beginning of learning stage.
How do you think about?

Chih-Hao
Founder
Founder
Send PM
Re: Thanks Sergei and BB [#permalink]
Expert Reply
HC wrote:
Thanks guys. I am in pretty much the same shape as you were in Sergei. It is quite expensive here in Singapore to arrange for private classes. I am thinking of buying a basics book and doing it on my own. I have to say though that I am preparing since two months and picked up quite well but once in a while get stuck in the basics.

Hi BB is it this book that you have used for grammer?

https://images.amazon.com/images/P/08220 ... ZZZZZZ.gif

I believe so...

Is this version for sale on Amazon? it is 1994 edition; the next one SUCKS! I recommended it before, but I deleted after I got a copy - it is hedious; they took most of the grammar away and put stupid tricks - yeah, right.... :pee
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Yes it is for sale in Amazon but limited availability. Not sure when they can ship.

Has anyone used books for speed math (working out difficult nos. fast?). Any recommendations?
Founder
Founder
Send PM
Expert Reply
HC wrote:
Yes it is for sale in Amazon but limited availability. Not sure when they can ship.

Has anyone used books for speed math (working out difficult nos. fast?). Any recommendations?

Kaplan... I have a list of MUST problems for the Kaplan's Math Workbook. Here it is: These are for 2nd edition that I have used - basically these are the problems I thought were the best and that I had difficulties with - analyzing my errors! :zoom

Number properties test: 8, 13, 14, 17, 19

Averages test: 4, 6

Ratios: 22

Percents: 4, 7, 8, 22

Powers and Roots: 5, 12

Algebra test 2: 2, 6

Basic Word Problem Exercise (p. 131): 6, 8, 9

Word Problems Test 1: 4, 19, 24

Percents, Ratios, and Rates: 34

General WP Test: 31, 35, 40

Geometry

Triangles Exercise: 7, 11

Triangles Test: 2, 15, 18

Quadraliterals and other polygons: 14, 16, 17

Circles: 2, 5, 10

Multiple Figures: 2, 6, 9, 14

Solids: 5

DS1: 12, 14, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 22, 24

DS2: 3, 7, 9, 10, 15, 21, 23, 24
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 33 [0]
Send PM
Re: 3 weeks to go [#permalink]
bb wrote:
HC wrote:
Hi Guys,

I am a new memeber here. Thanks to BB and others for making the group successful.

I am taking the GMAT on the 11th of June. Quite worried about my practice test scores so far.

Took the OG first test a week ago and scored 640. Took the kaplan diagnostic test three weeks ago and scored 560. Took Kaplan 1st cat (in the CD) today and managed only a pathetic 520. I am worried what nas gone wrong. I should be scoring higher than the diagnostic test since I have put in more than three weeks of hard preparation.

Did anyone face a situation like mine? Any ideas, suggestions, insights?

Thanks,
HC

HC,

here are my scores with dates; I think this will help

First Diagnostic KAPLAN test: 530 Sept 20, 2001

Kaplan test 1 540 Oct 5, 2001

Kaplan test 2 420 (50, 8) Nov 20, 2001 [math only]

Kaplan test 3 610 (40, 33) Jan 25, 2002

Kaplan test 4 620 (50, 31) Feb 5, 2002

Princeton test 1 420 Dec 20, 2001 [math only]

Princeton test 2 620 Jan 10, 2002

Princeton test 3 610 Jan 12, 2002

Princeton test 4 620 Jan 16, 2002

PowerPrep test 1 710 (48, 39) (Jan 20, 2002) [ I saved powerprep for the very end]

PowerPrep test 2 730 (50, 39) (Feb 11, 2002) [I took this one 24 hours before the real test]

Official GMAT 750 (49, 42) (Feb 12, 2002)

bb,

the princeton test that you have mentioned, is it "Crack the GMAT"?
Founder
Founder
Send PM
Re: 3 weeks to go [#permalink]
Expert Reply
brstorewala wrote:
bb wrote:
HC wrote:
Hi Guys,

I am a new memeber here. Thanks to BB and others for making the group successful.

I am taking the GMAT on the 11th of June. Quite worried about my practice test scores so far.

Took the OG first test a week ago and scored 640. Took the kaplan diagnostic test three weeks ago and scored 560. Took Kaplan 1st cat (in the CD) today and managed only a pathetic 520. I am worried what nas gone wrong. I should be scoring higher than the diagnostic test since I have put in more than three weeks of hard preparation.

Did anyone face a situation like mine? Any ideas, suggestions, insights?

Thanks,
HC

HC,

here are my scores with dates; I think this will help

First Diagnostic KAPLAN test: 530 Sept 20, 2001

Kaplan test 1 540 Oct 5, 2001

Kaplan test 2 420 (50, 8) Nov 20, 2001 [math only]

Kaplan test 3 610 (40, 33) Jan 25, 2002

Kaplan test 4 620 (50, 31) Feb 5, 2002

Princeton test 1 420 Dec 20, 2001 [math only]

Princeton test 2 620 Jan 10, 2002

Princeton test 3 610 Jan 12, 2002

Princeton test 4 620 Jan 16, 2002

PowerPrep test 1 710 (48, 39) (Jan 20, 2002) [ I saved powerprep for the very end]

PowerPrep test 2 730 (50, 39) (Feb 11, 2002) [I took this one 24 hours before the real test]

Official GMAT 750 (49, 42) (Feb 12, 2002)

bb,

the princeton test that you have mentioned, is it "Crack the GMAT"?

The PR scores are from Online tester.

I assume the tests would be very similar to those on the CD - I had 2001 edition and it did not have a CD, but had online access - I think it was teh age of the E-commerce and stuff like that. I think that was the only year they had that.
Founder
Founder
Send PM
Re: MATH DISCUSSION [#permalink]
Expert Reply
JUMPINJIM wrote:
Can anyone direct me to math forum

https://www.gmatclub.com/phpbb/viewforum.php?f=7 :lol: