Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 05:07 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 05:07

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Schools:HBS Stanford Kellogg Wharton Tuck MIT Sloan
 Q51  V44
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 135 [0]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: Help!! Need GMAT Prep Advice from Gurus!!! 2 weeks left!! [#permalink]
Hey guys thank for the advice! So Im back now from my trip and really wasnt able to do much studying... :(

But I figure that is a good thing since I am now re-energized to give one last push!

So for these two remaining weeks this is my plan:
1st week: Focus more on verbal and some math to keep those skills up to date

4 hours on RC/CR
2 hours on SC
2 hours on Math

2nd week: Focus more on Math and ramp down my time on verbal, hopefully to improve math and continue to make headway in verbal

4 hours on Math
2 hours on RC/CR
2 hours on SC

What do you guys think? Is this is a good approach to follow or should I make some changes?

ashaker wrote:
- For CR (and RC), go for PowerScore LSAT Logical Reasoning Bible. RC questions are basically the same kind of questions you find in CR except that the stimulus is either a short or long passage.
- Do 1000 SC, CR and RC.

Also where can I get the PowerScore LSAT Logical Reasoning Bible and 1000 SC referenced above.

Thanks again for your guys' help! I really hope I can do this!!
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1682 [0]
Given Kudos: 210
Send PM
Alinder - try practicing Verbal stuff on gmatter. Get it from https://www.gmatter.biz.

Also note that MGMAT tests are very tough (esp their quant), not close to the real thing. I'd highly recommend taking the gmatprep2 to assess your actual level (or a gmat prep 1 retake).
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 54 [0]
Send PM
Quote:
What do you guys think? Is this is a good approach to follow or should I make some changes?

Your strategy is good. For the remaining two weeks, work only on OG. Try to understand why an answer is wrong. Good you have Error Log.
Important 1: Do Math at the beginning, after 1 hour, switch to Verbal. Do RC when you are tried or at the end (When you have less focus). Because if you could do it well at that time. The final exam will be a cake walk for you.
Important 2: Always there will be the most obvious answer (an it will be wrong). See why it is wrong. At the next level, always two answers will be so close to each other (understand why the other answer is incorrect). I am trying to do this now.

Don't over work , but try to mechanize yourself. I hope it helps.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thanks for the input!

bsd_lover wrote:
Alinder - try practicing Verbal stuff on gmatter. Get it from https://www.gmatter.biz.

I just downloaded the Gmatter app, seems like a good tool thus far. Quick question, where do these questions come from? Are they OG questions? For some reason some of them seem familiar. And if they are not OG questions, how accurate are they in comparison to actual GMAT type questions?
SVP
SVP
Send PM
I believe the question sets are from SC1000 and CR1000. So you may have seen some before. But what gmatter gives you is a "GMAT like" interface that you can use so that you're not fazed when switching to a computer screen to solve verbal problems from a paper based medium.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: Help!! Need GMAT Prep Advice from Gurus!!! 5 days left!! [#permalink]
Hey guys im in my last week of studying, i take the exam on the 31st (about 5 days)

Any last minute preparation suggestions, and major Dos and Donts... For the next couple of days i plan on taking practice tests to keep the stamina (one a day up until wed), and do some review as well of my major weakness areas.

I plan on ramping down thur - probably use that day and fri to review AWA, (i have never looked at these or done them, will it be to late to review them then or should i start now, anyone have any good tips/resources which will help me shave some time to devote to this area this week?

thanks for the help thus far...and I appreciate all of the advice given.

its almost judgement day.....
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: Help!! Need GMAT Prep Advice from Gurus!!! 5 Days left!! [#permalink]
Oh BTW guys, in addition to any advice you guys can give me for this final week, I just completed another MGMAT practice test:
MGMAT CAT #6: 670 - Q45 V36

So a 30 point increase from the last practice test, but still not close to 700.

For some reason I can break out of the mid 30s in Verbal, i dont know whats going on, ive been doing SC, trying to work on CR in OG 11, but i cant break that barrier...

does anyone have any tips for me that I can hopefully utilize for the remainder of this week and on test day that will help me break into the 40s for V.

Thanks for the advice in advance guys, I have so little time with so much more to do...hopefully I can do it :)

4 Days and counting....
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: Help!! Need GMAT Prep Advice from Gurus!!! 5 Days left!! [#permalink]
AlinderPatel wrote:
Hey guys im in my last week of studying, i take the exam on the 31st (about 5 days)

Any last minute preparation suggestions, and major Dos and Donts... For the next couple of days i plan on taking practice tests to keep the stamina (one a day up until wed), and do some review as well of my major weakness areas.

I plan on ramping down thur - probably use that day and fri to review AWA, (i have never looked at these or done them, will it be to late to review them then or should i start now, anyone have any good tips/resources which will help me shave some time to devote to this area this week?

AlinderPatel wrote:
Oh BTW guys, in addition to any advice you guys can give me for this final week, I just completed another MGMAT practice test:
MGMAT CAT #6: 670 - Q45 V36

So a 30 point increase from the last practice test, but still not close to 700.

For some reason I can break out of the mid 30s in Verbal, i dont know whats going on, ive been doing SC, trying to work on CR in OG 11, but i cant break that barrier...

does anyone have any tips for me that I can hopefully utilize for the remainder of this week and on test day that will help me break into the 40s for V.

Thanks for the advice in advance guys, I have so little time with so much more to do...hopefully I can do it :)

4 Days and counting....

Anyone?
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 155 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Concentration: Finance
Schools:Kellogg Class of 2011
 Q48  V39
Send PM
Re: Help!! Need GMAT Prep Advice from Gurus!!! 4 Days Left!! [#permalink]
MGMATs are harder than the GMAT, I think you will be fine. Make sure to get a good amount of rest between now and Saturday. Concentrate on the SC rules from MGMAT SC. Do as many problems tonight as you can and maybe some more tomorrow night. Tail off on Thursday and do none on Friday. Eat a good breakfast and relax, you'll do well. Let me know if you have any other questions.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 104 [0]
Send PM
I guess you can give GMAT prep1 again and Gmat prep2 2 times to gauge youre scores at gmat.
SVP
SVP
Send PM
Hey allinder in total agreement with the past posters, MGMAT tests are way tougher than the real thing. If you are regularly scoring mid 30s in MGMAT verbal - it means you need to just be a little bit more careful and focused on the actual test.

Do the GMATPreps --> thats the most important thing at this stage. dont be afraid to retake it after you've got one diagnostic score. Redoing the gmatprep will expose you to more accurate gmat questions.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Send PM
Good luck!

Can anyone suggest any practice, strategy for AWA?

Thanks
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 291 [0]
Concentration: Strategy
Schools:Ross Class of 2011
 Q49  V40
Send PM
A search for AWA on the forum will yeild a ton of stuff but this is the most recent thread I remember.

1-t64327
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 54 [0]
Send PM
Quote:

Last Minute Do’s and Dont’s

1) Just read OG for getting an AWA format. Use two examples and explain it fully (for each essay).
2) Don’t learn anything new at this stage. But, read your error log atleast 5 times (This is the best material).
3) Do only Official GMAT Prep (atleast 4 times). It will tell you where you are.
4) Again, you won’t be that tired during verbal. But at the same time, you won’t be that fresh. Hence, if you are like a machine, it will play a big role. I use the word machine because on the test day just implement what you have learned (like a machine). Don’t try anything new. Don’t worry or feel happy like human after each problem.
5) IMPORTANT : Keep track of time. Don’t rush. Don’t waste time.

Scoring a 40 in verbal is a dream. Even I am getting V 35’s consistently. Best thing you can do is relax and get 37 (>80) instead of aiming for 40.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: Help!! Need GMAT Prep Advice from Gurus!!! 3 Days Left!! [#permalink]
Thanks for all the info guys!!!! I really appreciate it!! I just feel like so much is going on and I need to calm down and take in everything piece by piece ;)

As for my AWA stuff, like I said I have never even looked at this section before nor have I ever practiced this section till my last CAT.

If anyone would like to help this poor soul out by giving me a grade and some feedback on what I wrote I would greatly appreciate it!!

Link to my AWA Post

Thanks in advance!!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 7305 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Schools: UCSD ($) , UCLA, USC ($), Stanford
Send PM
Re: Help!! Need GMAT Prep Advice from Gurus!!! 2.5 Days Left!! [#permalink]
With that little time left, the best thing would be to re-take as many GMATPreps as you can. Also try to retake at least one MGMAT Quant section (skip the verbal) the day before the test - that would put you in the right quant mode if you are aiming for 45+.
For AWA, yes, this thread should be all you need:
1-t64327
Just memorize the template, phrases, etc and try it once on one essay each, so you feel comfortable transitioning.

Pray before the test and have fun during it. Don't fight it.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hey guys, took the test over a week ago and have a crazy Horror story to tell!! If you are interested I posted the details in a different thread. Man o Man, its a dousy!!

8-t65309
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Founder
37301 posts