Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 12:22 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 12:22

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 296 [14]
Given Kudos: 56
Concentration: Strategic Management
Schools:La Martiniere for Boys
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 341 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: International Business
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 90 [2]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 341 [0]
Concentration: International Business
Send PM
Re: Something must be done to stop spam. In early days, people seldom rece [#permalink]
sanjay_gmat wrote:
Technext, you might be right, but what I gather from this passage is that the author is comparing the present situation with the almost spam free world that used to exist in the past. This comparison is vital for the argument, as without knowing how things were before, how would you decide that it's time to pull the plug on spammers.. So, I choose A.

Hi sanjay_gmat,

IMO, argument here is the first statement of the passage. If I’m correct then the comparison should not be vital to reach the conclusion (argument). I feel that we can reach the conclusion without its (first boldface) help too.

Let others share their thought on this.

Regards,
Technext
GMAT Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 9242 [3]
Given Kudos: 91
 Q51  V47
Send PM
Re: Something must be done to stop spam. In early days, people seldom rece [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
I'm curious about the source of the question; while I could find the question in a few threads with a web search, none mentioned where the question was from.

The argument does not depend on the first bold-faced sentence, which rules out A. Still, the second bold-faced sentence is a conclusion, not an inference. An inference is a specific type of conclusion - it's a conclusion that can be deduced from facts, requiring no additional assumptions. An inference is not a viewpoint or a policy proposal. As we all know from GMAT CR questions, conclusions can be weakened or strengthened, and they can be flawed or they can be valid. An inference is always true, as long as the facts are true.

From the evidence presented, you might conclude that regulating junk email would be a good idea. Still, that's a point of view; it's not something you can logically deduce from the facts. It's only a logically valid inference if you make many assumptions not presented in the stem (junk email must be cut down, government regulation will be effective, there is no other alternative way the goal of reducing junk email could be achieved). It's a conclusion, not an inference.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 98 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
I dont think it's a garbage
One more evidence to choose B rather than A is that "relevant anti-spam regulations should be framed to stop unsolicited advertising" is only a suggestion, so can be considered inference, not a conclusion.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 284 [0]
Given Kudos: 65
GPA: 3.98
Send PM
ngoctraiden1905 wrote:
I dont think it's a garbage
One more evidence to choose B rather than A is that "relevant anti-spam regulations should be framed to stop unsolicited advertising" is only a suggestion, so can be considered inference, not a conclusion.

It seems that you are not clear about the difference between an inference and a conclusion. I may arrive a conclusion, but this conclusion does not have to be true; however, an inference must be true according to the facts in the stimulus. In This case the conclusion is the opinion of the author. You may disagree with the conclusion, but it still is his conclusion. You cannot infer (deduce logically) that regulation is needed.

See previous post by IanStewart.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 142
Schools: ISB '23 (S)
GPA: 3.2
Send PM
can someone detail the difference between option B and E?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
GMAT 1: 580 Q23 V47
Send PM
I go for E because I think the first BF is pre-evidence.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6919 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts