Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 05:04 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 05:04

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Own Kudos [?]: 3083 [83]
Given Kudos: 7
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE:Business Development (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 44 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [1]
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 144 [1]
Given Kudos: 10
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
Schools: Hong Kong University of Science and Technology (HKUST) - Class of 2010
Send PM
Re: Rhyme's Guide To What To Expect From Recruiting [#permalink]
Kudos
Brilliant stuff!

I have to map in some core times for family and kids for myself.
Don't think i will be as ambitious as you in hitting 20 companies.

Out of interest 10-k it's USA specific I guess, because its related to the SEC, so i assume there must be something similar for companies operating in different countries.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 69 [1]
Concentration: Healthcare
Schools:Attending Stanford
Send PM
Kudos
Damn rhyme, that's amazingly helpful. Thanks so much!
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 54 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
Schools:Kellogg Class of 2011
 Q49  V44
Send PM
Kudos
Great post once again Rhyme!
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 233 [1]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Finance (Corp Fin, Financial Instruments)
Schools:NYU Stern 2009
Send PM
Kudos
kk.iyer wrote:
Rhyme...as i said last time.....a guide to time management would be a fitting capstone for all these awesome posts.
Seriously man..how do you do it? Is it something that one ends up mastering once in or does one need to be gifted?
Kudos...

I think a guide to time management is really tricky to put together. Somehow everyone finds a method that suits them, and works accordingly (even if that involves writing an assignment in a 1hr lunch before a class at times). I could try and dig out one of my old schedules. For banking, for two weeks, I had something at 7am every day and something until 9pm, with a pretty full day around it. You really have to live through it simply reminding yourself that there is only a couple of really rough weeks, a lot of bad ones, and then some where it all gives in.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 3083 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
3underscore wrote:
kk.iyer wrote:
Rhyme...as i said last time.....a guide to time management would be a fitting capstone for all these awesome posts.
Seriously man..how do you do it? Is it something that one ends up mastering once in or does one need to be gifted?
Kudos...

I think a guide to time management is really tricky to put together. Somehow everyone finds a method that suits them, and works accordingly (even if that involves writing an assignment in a 1hr lunch before a class at times). I could try and dig out one of my old schedules. For banking, for two weeks, I had something at 7am every day and something until 9pm, with a pretty full day around it. You really have to live through it simply reminding yourself that there is only a couple of really rough weeks, a lot of bad ones, and then some where it all gives in.

Go for it.... post a week from your schedule, it would be interesting to compare.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
A great post, rhyme.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 71 [1]
Given Kudos: 15
Concentration: Finance, International Business
Schools:Kellogg Class of 2011
Kudos
rhyme,

Great post as always. Regarding the research that is required for events/interviews, do the industry-specific clubs (IB club, MC club, etc) have a collection of good info about the top firms that you can use, or are you basically on your own?
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 520 [2]
Schools:Darden
 Q50  V51
Send PM
Kudos
rhyme wrote:
Go for it.... post a week from your schedule, it would be interesting to compare.

Here's my schedule from our interview week. Most of the IBs try to cram into the first week if they can.

Monday

9:00 - First Round Interview

10:30 - First Round Interview

11:45 - First Round Interview

1:00 - First Round Interview

2:00 - First Round Interview

3:15 - First Round Interview

Two of the BB banks had their second rounds this same evening. Fortunately, I requested a second round with a branch office, so I was able to accept the invite at put it off till the end of the week. Unfortunately, I had to turn down a second round invite to have dinner with one of my top choices.

8:00 - Dinner - had to choose between this, another dinner.

10:00 - Cocktails with another firm, had to show up a little late because of dinner.

-----

Tuesday

8:30 - Second Round Interview (second rounds are off campus, generally at a hotel, so you have to get yourself out there, and back)

10:45 - First Round Interview

1:30 - First Round Interview

2:30 - Second Round Interview

4:30 - Second Round Interview with my #1 choice. This was a grueling interview set, lasting 2 solid hours including a horrendous case that everyone told me they bombed (I was the last to go). Got the offer later that evening and returned for cocktails.

Since I got an offer from my top choice firm, I canceled of the rest of my schedule (had already accepted some second rounds which I told them I was keeping).

-----

Wednesday

3 Second round invites for today declined.

12:00 - First Round Interview *canceled*

1:00 - First Round Interview *canceled*

4:00 - First Round Interview *canceled*

-----

Thursday

9:00 - First Round Interview *canceled*

11:15 - First Round Interview *canceled*

2:30 - Flight to San Francisco for a Second Round Interview and to meet with the West Coast office of my top choice.

7:30 - Phone Interview *canceled*

-----

Friday

9:30 - Second Round Interview

12:00 - 4 hours of meetings with office of my #1 choice

3:00 - Second Round Interview *canceled*

-----

By Tuesday night, after a dozen first and second round interviews, dinner and cocktails, I was totally brain dead. I was so unbelievably happy to get an offer by the end of the second day. It would have been crushing if this had gone on for two or three weeks instead of just two days (all the banks pretty much show up by the third week). We were lucky in that they scheduled an open week just for interviews. In past years, students had two or three classes each morning prior to interviews all afternoon and evenings. Of course, recruiters for other types of jobs came later, mostly after the first week, so students interested in those jobs had the same challenge. I ended up dropping out and canceling a lot of stuff later on the in the week, but if I had kept on going, some of those canceled first round interviews would have turned into second round interviews, and if I had kept pushing there probably would have been additional first round interviews as well. A few of my friends kept at it for weeks, trying to get a specific firm or practice area. Grueling.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 3083 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
Quote:
It would have been crushing if this had gone on for two or three weeks instead of just two days (all the banks pretty much show up by the third week).

I went back to look, and not counting a couple random one-off phone screens, mine lasted about 3 weeks. As you predicted, it was pretty soul crushing.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 107 [1]
 Q49  V45
Send PM
Kudos
Thanks rhyme! This is probably one post I will have to come back to a couple of times.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 59 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
So you only work on mondays?

Great post... :-D
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 324 [0]
Send PM
Ha-ha-ha :) That almost made me jump out of my window! Great post! Thank you, rhyme.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 3083 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
maverick2011 wrote:
rhyme,

Great post as always. Regarding the research that is required for events/interviews, do the industry-specific clubs (IB club, MC club, etc) have a collection of good info about the top firms that you can use, or are you basically on your own?

They have some basic info but you really need to do your own research too. The kind of stuff they offer is usually somewhat more focused in terms of pointing you to resources - eg the IM group will tell you to read book X, practice stock pitches, etc... MC folk will tell you to practice cases and provide you with some samples as well as links to books, etc... But really, you need to do your own homework.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 291 [1]
Concentration: Investment Banking
Schools:Chicago (dinged), Tuck (November), Columbia (RD)
Send PM
Kudos
pelihu wrote:
rhyme wrote:

Here's my schedule from our interview week. Most of the IBs try to cram into the first week if they can.

Monday

9:00 - First Round Interview

10:30 - First Round Interview

1:00 - First Round Interview

2:00 - First Round Interview

3:15 - First Round Interview

Two of the BB banks had their second rounds this same evening. Fortunately, I requested a second round with a branch office, so I was able to accept the invite at put it off till the end of the week. Unfortunately, I had to turn down a second round invite to have dinner with one of my top choices.

8:00 - Dinner - had to choose between this, another dinner.

10:00 - Cocktails with another firm, had to show up a little late because of dinner.

-----

Tuesday

8:30 - Second Round Interview (second rounds are off campus, generally at a hotel, so you have to get yourself out there, and back)

10:45 - First Round Interview

1:30 - First Round Interview

2:30 - Second Round Interview

4:30 - Second Round Interview with my #1 choice. This was a grueling interview set, lasting 2 solid hours including a horrendous case that everyone told me they bombed (I was the last to go). Got the offer later that evening and returned for cocktails.

Since I got an offer from my top choice firm, I canceled of the rest of my schedule (had already accepted some second rounds which I told them I was keeping).

-----

Wednesday

3 Second round invites for today declined.

12:00 - First Round Interview *canceled*

4:00 - First Round Interview *canceled*

-----

Thursday

9:00 - First Round Interview *canceled*

11:15 - First Round Interview *canceled*

2:30 - Flight to San Francisco for a Second Round Interview and to meet with the West Coast office of my top choice.

7:30 - Phone Interview *canceled*

-----

Friday

9:30 - Second Round Interview

12:00 - 4 hours of meetings with office of my #1 choice

3:00 - Second Round Interview *canceled*

-----

By Tuesday night, after a dozen first and second round interviews, dinner and cocktails, I was totally brain dead. I was so unbelievably happy to get an offer by the end of the second day. It would have been crushing if this had gone on for two or three weeks instead of just two days (all the banks pretty much show up by the third week). We were lucky in that they scheduled an open week just for interviews. In past years, students had two or three classes each morning prior to interviews all afternoon and evenings. Of course, recruiters for other types of jobs came later, mostly after the first week, so students interested in those jobs had the same challenge. I ended up dropping out and canceling a lot of stuff later on the in the week, but if I had kept on going, some of those canceled first round interviews would have turned into second round interviews, and if I had kept pushing there probably would have been additional first round interviews as well. A few of my friends kept at it for weeks, trying to get a specific firm or practice area. Grueling.

Were these all bulge brackets? Or did you interview with smaller banks as well?

How technical were your interviews as a whole?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 59 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
I know a little about pelihu's background, but not sure what type of background you have rhyme, but would these large amounts of interviews for IB be possible for someone that is a career switcher, and never having any finance related experience?

Originally posted by 89nk on 05 Jun 2008, 21:37.
Last edited by 89nk on 06 Jun 2008, 21:31, edited 1 time in total.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 520 [1]
Schools:Darden
 Q50  V51
Send PM
Kudos
terp06 wrote:

Were these all bulge brackets? Or did you interview with smaller banks as well?

How technical were your interviews as a whole?

All of the interviews on the first two to three days were bulge bracket banks. There's some system where firms that contribute the most to the school get to interview first. Banks dominate the first week, and the biggest banks and biggest recruiters come earliest.

Technical content varied. Some firms had a few questions in the first round, others grilled pretty hard in the first round. Some firms designated one (or more) of the second round interviews as technical, while another firm simply had a non-technical meeting with senior management for the second round. I did notice that firms varied the content of their interviews based on their opinion of the candidate. For example, one bank let me and a few others basically have a free pass on the technical portion in the first round (easy questions, questions about poker, things like that) because they had gotten to know us very well during recruiting and it seemed like they had pretty much moved us along to the second round already. I spoke with some others who interviewed with the same firm, but hadn't done as week during recruiting or had bid their way on to the interview list (as opposed to getting an invite) and they reported they were grilled hard for 30 minutes solid. It's pretty clear by the interview stage that most firms already know who their favorite candidates are. They might invite 15 to interview, and have another 5 bid their way on, but they've probably already made decisions on 2/3 of the people they will invite to the second round. The interview is definitely important, but the months of recruiting leading up to it are critical as well.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 208 [7]
Send PM
Kudos