Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 15:41 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 15:41

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos:
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, International Business
WE:Supply Chain Management (Energy and Utilities)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 36 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Schools:Kellogg (R2), UCLA (R2)
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1510 [0]
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 408 [0]
Given Kudos: 34
Concentration: Sustainable Development
Schools:Ross '12 (MBA/MS)
 Q49  V45
Send PM
Re: Why shouldn't I study the day before again? [#permalink]
jlola21 wrote:
Can we dedicate this thread to convincing me to not study this Friday the day before my first GMAT exam? Because I'm sorry, I think I've become addicted. Which is good and bad, the bad news is my head feels like it is going to explode.

You should do whatever makes you feel the most comfortable and relaxed. Studying too much may result in overload but not studying enough may also be detremental. You know your study habbits better than anyone else. Do (or don't do) what you think will give you the most confidence going into the test.

I feel like I am in the minority when it comes to this issue. I took a full length timed GMATPrep on each of the two days prior to my final GMAT attempt. On the day of my test I spent about 2 hours answering questions on the math and verbal forums. I arrived at the test center an hour before my appointment and spent about 30 minutes in my car reading up about AWA and going over my idiom flash cards. For me, all this studying had absolutely nothing to do with learning new concepts and everything to do with keeping my confidence high when it came time to take the test.

If your head is going to explode then it sounds like less or no studying the night before your test may be the best way to go :-)
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 332 [0]
Send PM
Not necessarily. I studied the day before, a new concept no less at midnight. It's no big deal as long as you don't go balls to the wall with 2 CATs and long review sessions. Just do some warm up questions, especially if they are old ones that you've gotten right before.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 60 [0]
Concentration: Consulting, International Business
Schools:Harvard (No Interview), Cornell (Accepted), Duke (Accepted), Northwestern (Dinged)
 Q46  V45
Send PM
I take test saturday at 8 am as well.

today is my last day of studying. tomorrow i will do nothing.

i think do what feels comfortable, but i found in last 3 weeks, i am much stronger when i take a day off beforehand. your mind is fresh, and more hungry. and there is nothing you will learn in one day before that will raise your score at this point. you have little to gain, but alot to lose.

take the day off, dont think about the gmat. but i also think dont let your mind be exposed to trash. ie. im not gonna watch tv, or even a movie. im gonna read a good book. eat a good meal. and go to sleep.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [0]
Send PM
Right. It depends on individual.
For me, the more I tried to remain cool, more I found my nerves running faster than usual. An almost sleepless night. This took the toll in the exam; was feeling like a dead machine when I reached 30th question on the verbal.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 349 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Schools:Chicago Booth '11
 Q50  V38
Send PM
If you feel more comfortable doing so, study. Honestly I think it is a smart move. You don't want to lose a step. True one day may not help you, but if you have been studying everyday for months and you stop one day it may throw you off. My opinion, do a gmatprep, and maybe do an RC passage some CR and some SC. But you have taken tests before and you know how you perform.
Given Kudos:
Thanks for the advice everyone- honestly, with working full-time and studying, I think that's why my head feels like it is exploding. I think taking the day off beforehand has worked best for me in the past, but I guess I will find out soon! It's hard to get the energy to study for 2-3 hours after work - I couldn't imagine taking a full practice test!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1454 [0]
Send PM
My test is next weekend....I started ramping down two weeks out. I was burned out last week and I knew I needed a break. I've been doing a few problems everyday, and also reading the board to keep up with gmat news. I plan on doing very little the till next Saturday, so my mind is extremely fresh. I don't think I'll loose my edge since I've been studying for about a year. It is pretty much locked in at this point.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 298 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Schools:Oxford'10
 Q49  V37
Send PM
Good comments all,

if you do study the night before, just make sure it is not the very last thing you do before you go to sleep, else those GMATremlins might keep you from falling asleep. Do anything to relax before going to sleep.

good luck for saturday guys
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1682 [0]
Given Kudos: 210
Send PM
buff what's the last thing you do before you sleep mate ? What relaxes ya :P

ps. Good luck all. Looking forward to some great debriefs.

buffdaddy wrote:
Good comments all,

if you do study the night before, just make sure it is not the very last thing you do before you go to sleep, else those GMATremlins might keep you from falling asleep. Do anything to relax before going to sleep.

good luck for saturday guys
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 60 [0]
Concentration: Consulting, International Business
Schools:Harvard (No Interview), Cornell (Accepted), Duke (Accepted), Northwestern (Dinged)
 Q46  V45
Send PM
slightly emotional right now. the end is near. i will not study tomorrow. the final minutes of studying, makes one very reflective. its been said alot of different ways, many different times, but sometimes its the journey to the goal, that is actually the most rewarding, not achieving the goal itself.

Its been a good ride. Been fun reading the posts, taking part in discussion. To be sure, I can still do that, but it won't be the same without the anticipation of knowing i will go into battle too.

Good luck all.

The clock ticks, and I find myself a bit nostalgic.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 71 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Schools:Tepper '11
Send PM
I studied the day before, it was no big deal. I think what people mean is that you will not be able to learn anything significant in 1 day, but no harm in staying sharp.
Given Kudos:
ahahah "battle" I love it. I just studied for 2.5 hours and now I'm having a beer. Well, friends, this is my first time - so I bet you I will flunk it, and will be on this board for another fabulous 3 months :-). However; I am going to a wedding Saturday night, so at least I can party on someone else's tab.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Founder
37301 posts