Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 03:10 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 03:10

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Own Kudos [?]: 3083 [1]
Given Kudos: 7
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE:Business Development (Consumer Products)
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 208 [0]
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 291 [0]
Concentration: Investment Banking
Schools:Chicago (dinged), Tuck (November), Columbia (RD)
Send PM
Re: Rhyme's Guide To What To Expect From Recruiting [#permalink]
rhyme wrote:
fooFighter wrote:
I'm curious as to why you guys think an engineering background is important for VC? As compared to people with mgt consulting xp or finance backgrounds with strong quant skills?

I'm a engineering major whos career changed to finance (w/o mba) so I'm interested :p

Because people generalize too much :) The truth is that no particular background is "right" for VC. Certainly, business fundamentals are key in any VC, but there is really no reason whatsoever to think that you have a better chance as an engineer (or really for that matter as a finance guy).

VCs are unique in their specialization - and if you happen to have the "right mix" for THAT particular VC firm, you could be an easy hire. You may just as equally be totally boring to the next the VC firm. For instance, take a look at these guys: https://www.archventure.com/ -- they invest almost exclusively in early stage, highly scientific stuff like new chemical polymers, etc. A background in say, chemical engineering, would be directly applicable to this firm. Spend the last 5 years doing strategic investments in plastics with DOW? Congrats, they'll probably want to talk to you.

That however, would be totally useless to a firm like say, Duchoissois - where frankly, knowledge of horses might be more valuable. See: https://www.duch.com. Say instead, your background happens to be in marketing. In that case, a firm like Lake Capital might make sense for you. In other cases, you might just have exactly the right mix for one of their portfolio firms (this is a good way to get in too... join a portfolio firm, do good work, get your name known in the VC circles and then go from there). In other instances, maybe its something else. In one case, I know a guy who thinks he got a job because he happens to know a few rich people and thinks the firm hired him hoping he could bring in a few million in funding. Make no mistake about it though, just because you have the "right" mix, doesn't make you a shoe in.

VC and PE, frankly, is probably 90% networking, 5% what you know and 5% luck. You just gotta beat the ground and get into the club. A good example of this - I met a VC guy in the bahamas a while back, got his card and I called him and he pretty much told me, in no uncertain terms, that I had nothing to offer a VC firm and should just go "work at a hedge fund" since I could make more money anyway. Three months later, I emailed him asking if he knew anything about the firm I had an offer from. He wrote back that he didnt but... maybe there was something at his firm after all, and although they didnt usually hire interns, maybe they could make an exception. How does someone go from telling you that you don't stand a chance to suddenly almost pulling an offer out of a hat over email? The reason is simple: it's all about networking and breaking into the club.

I ran across this a couple of months ago and found it interesting. It pretty much reiterates what you said:

https://mba.tuck.dartmouth.edu/pecenter/ ... ynard.html

I ended up with four job offers—though only one of them was in private equity, working for John Hancock in their venture capital group. Although it didn't seem like I was going to be on the front lines of the venture capital marketplace at the time, I took the job based on the advice I got from Steve Woodsun (a managing partner at Summit Partners in Boston). He said something like, "Take the job. The hardest part of this business is getting in; once you are in the industry, you can learn a lot and cultivate more options."
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
 Q50  V44
Send PM
Ozmba wrote:
what would you bring to the table ? How can you add value to the job with no exposure to VC industry?

Admittedly probably not that much right off the bat. I'd definately be a developmental project, although I think that worked out very well for the managers who took a chance on me and gave me the chance to prove that I could be a great network engineer.

If I were to be in VC, I would want to work in tech. I love technology. VC is not about the big money to me, as it seems to be for alot people interested in VC. I would work for an average base salary just to get in the door and get a chance to prove myself. Also, I have worked in the mobility area my entire career, so I think I could bring an understanding of that industry. Also, I am very good at understanding technology systems - how systems work together to make a product work. That is part of what has made me a good engineer.

Like I said, that isn't alot to go off of. Really I'd have to get lucky and find someone who would be willing to listen to and (hopefully) believe my reasoning of why I could be a useful member of a VC team.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Send PM
bherronp wrote:
Admittedly probably not that much right off the bat. I'd definately be a developmental project, although I think that worked out very well for the managers who took a chance on me and gave me the chance to prove that I could be a great network engineer.

If I were to be in VC, I would want to work in tech. I love technology. VC is not about the big money to me, as it seems to be for alot people interested in VC. I would work for an average base salary just to get in the door and get a chance to prove myself. Also, I have worked in the mobility area my entire career, so I think I could bring an understanding of that industry. Also, I am very good at understanding technology systems - how systems work together to make a product work. That is part of what has made me a good engineer.

Like I said, that isn't alot to go off of. Really I'd have to get lucky and find someone who would be willing to listen to and (hopefully) believe my reasoning of why I could be a useful member of a VC team.

All the best,
The reason why i asked this Q was to know your strategy to get into VC and how you are gonna differentiate yourself

if Tech is your passion, how about dabbling with a startup? I guess one would get lot of biz experience in a startup than the Fortune 500 job
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 208 [0]
Send PM
Ozmba wrote:
All the best,
The reason why i asked this Q was to know your strategy to get into VC and how you are gonna differentiate yourself

if Tech is your passion, how about dabbling with a startup? I guess one would get lot of biz experience in a startup than the Fortune 500 job

The thing is, though, that entrepreneurs transition into VC only after exiting at least 1 successful (successful in VC terms means: VC funded, 5x+ exit, etc.) start up. Otherwise they are more likely to be pitching ideas to VCs than working for them.

Entrepreneurial experience is more relevant to general management than to VCs, unless the entrepreneur becomes an expert in a particular niche.

L.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Great points Rhyme and Lepium :-D

rhyme wrote:
fooFighter wrote:
I'm curious as to why you guys think an engineering background is important for VC? As compared to people with mgt consulting xp or finance backgrounds with strong quant skills?

I'm a engineering major whos career changed to finance (w/o mba) so I'm interested :p

Because people generalize too much :) The truth is that no particular background is "right" for VC. Certainly, business fundamentals are key in any VC, but there is really no reason whatsoever to think that you have a better chance as an engineer (or really for that matter as a finance guy).

VCs are unique in their specialization - and if you happen to have the "right mix" for THAT particular VC firm, you could be an easy hire. You may just as equally be totally boring to the next the VC firm. For instance, take a look at these guys: https://www.archventure.com/ -- they invest almost exclusively in early stage, highly scientific stuff like new chemical polymers, etc. A background in say, chemical engineering, would be directly applicable to this firm. Spend the last 5 years doing strategic investments in plastics with DOW? Congrats, they'll probably want to talk to you.

That however, would be totally useless to a firm like say, Duchoissois - where frankly, knowledge of horses might be more valuable. See: https://www.duch.com. Say instead, your background happens to be in marketing. In that case, a firm like Lake Capital might make sense for you. In other cases, you might just have exactly the right mix for one of their portfolio firms (this is a good way to get in too... join a portfolio firm, do good work, get your name known in the VC circles and then go from there). In other instances, maybe its something else. In one case, I know a guy who thinks he got a job because he happens to know a few rich people and thinks the firm hired him hoping he could bring in a few million in funding. Make no mistake about it though, just because you have the "right" mix, doesn't make you a shoe in.

VC and PE, frankly, is probably 90% networking, 5% what you know and 5% luck. You just gotta beat the ground and get into the club. A good example of this - I met a VC guy in the bahamas a while back, got his card and I called him and he pretty much told me, in no uncertain terms, that I had nothing to offer a VC firm and should just go "work at a hedge fund" since I could make more money anyway. Three months later, I emailed him asking if he knew anything about the firm I had an offer from. He wrote back that he didnt but... maybe there was something at his firm after all, and although they didnt usually hire interns, maybe they could make an exception. How does someone go from telling you that you don't stand a chance to suddenly almost pulling an offer out of a hat over email? The reason is simple: it's all about networking and breaking into the club.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Send PM
great point fooFighter!
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [1]
Concentration: CSR and Non-Profit Management
Schools:University of Michigan Erb Institute '12
 Q44  V45
Send PM
Kudos
crazy times
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
I am going to interview for my summer internship with a PE firm which was established in 1994. I also have a summer internship offer from a top notch general mgmt firm for their strategy division. I however am more interested in finance and related stuff.

Now these PE firms are damn secretive with hardly any info in their website. How does one find out more about these firms and how does one evaluate these firms from a career perspective? Any tips? I could find out the team member profiles and the portfolio firms.

The PE firm I am talking off has raised 1.5 B$ in last 14 years and the latest fund is of 500 million $ which it raised 2 years ago to invest in Asian economies.

PS: I am based out of India
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1682 [0]
Given Kudos: 210
Send PM
I'd be VERY interested to hear what recruiting would be like for class of 2010. Offers would be tough (for obvious reasons) and I'd be interested to note who would be the prime recruiters now that so many primary finance recruiters are either out of business or doing it tough.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2918 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
 Q50  V40
Send PM
rpradeephere wrote:
I am going to interview for my summer internship with a PE firm which was established in 1994. I also have a summer internship offer from a top notch general mgmt firm for their strategy division. I however am more interested in finance and related stuff.

Now these PE firms are damn secretive with hardly any info in their website. How does one find out more about these firms and how does one evaluate these firms from a career perspective? Any tips? I could find out the team member profiles and the portfolio firms.

The PE firm I am talking off has raised 1.5 B$ in last 14 years and the latest fund is of 500 million $ which it raised 2 years ago to invest in Asian economies.

PS: I am based out of India

Finding out about a particular PE firm can be tough. Speaking to someone working in the following areas might help: competing PE house; banks, advisors, lawyers to these firms; recruitment agencies who recruit for similar firms, etc.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 56 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Strategy, GM, Energy, Technology
Schools:Chicago Booth 2011
Send PM
I would like to revive this thread with one question.

Can anyone give me a rough breakdown of the recruiting season? It seems like IB recruiting opens the season, and PE/VC closes it out. Does anyone know how the rest of the season looks like?

I guess I'm looking for a rough breakdown that looks something like this,

IB - November ~ Jan
Consulting - ???
Marketing - ???
Operations/SCM - ???
General Management - ???
Start-ups/Entrepreneurship - ???
PE/VC - April ~ Jun

Or is such breakdowns even possible/right?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 806 [5]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General/Operations Management
Schools:Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
 Q49  V42
Send PM
Kudos