Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 04:55 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 04:55

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 806 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General/Operations Management
Schools:Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
 Q49  V42
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Send PM
Re: recommendation letter question [#permalink]
Additionally, a primer on the schools you are apply for, along with a bit about what you're hoping to do would be helpful to those writing the reco's as well.

There are a few templates floating around out there.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
Guys, actually is it a good idea to take a recommendation from my former supervisor at a company which I left two years ago? I am sure that I will get a great recommendation, but I worry that this reference might be too old already.

What do you think?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Send PM
I might use it as a secondary reference--- the first from your current direct superior, the second from your old boss (the one you have a good letter from)
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1850 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
GMAT 2: 670
Send PM
In regards to recommendation letters, how important is the title of person writing the recommendation.

Vice President vs Director vs Managing Director... Do Bschools notice the difference?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Send PM
bigfernhead wrote:
In regards to recommendation letters, how important is the title of person writing the recommendation.

Vice President vs Director vs Managing Director... Do Bschools notice the difference?

I really don't think that schools care about title unless its a glowing reference from an ultra big wig...if its just ho-hum from somebody important they will wonder why you didn't get somebody with a less impressive title who knows you better.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 368 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Schools:Oxford
 Q49  V42
Send PM
wwww wrote:
Guys, actually is it a good idea to take a recommendation from my former supervisor at a company which I left two years ago? I am sure that I will get a great recommendation, but I worry that this reference might be too old already.

What do you think?

In general, it depends on your particular situation and on the specific school, but I think it's OK. However, I believe that the more recent second recommendation is advised in this case. Or, alternatively, if you continued to deal with your former supervisor in your professional quality, you may ask him to mention it. Also, I agree with others that you may need to adjust this recommendation: each school asks its own specific questions. So I think it will be an additional advantage if your former boss recommends you specifically for the MBA at the given school.
GMAT Club Bot