Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 23:45 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 23:45

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1927 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 444 [0]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2737 [0]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 321 [0]
Send PM
Re: The full-time unemployment rate cannot be determined with [#permalink]
E C A D
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 642 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Social Enterprise
Schools:Wharton'11 HBS'12
Send PM
i will go with B E A A

B
Moreover, full-time employment cannot be defined as an equality between the number of unemployed persons and the number of unfilled jobs.

E
To the extent that these changes have increased voluntary and involuntary layoff rates and the average length of time unemployed persons spend looking for work, the full-time unemployment rate has risen.

A--i guess everyone got this one right..

A
A zero unemployment rate would mean that no one ever entered or re-entered the labor force, that no one ever quit a job or was laid off, and that for new entrants or re-entrants, the process of searching for a job consumed no time

Lexis please post OA..i dont think many partcipants here will actually attempt RC questions..
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 642 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Social Enterprise
Schools:Wharton'11 HBS'12
Send PM
can u post the OA
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Hi,

Have you appeared for GMAT....
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 4799 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Send PM
lexis wrote:
The full-time unemployment rate cannot be determined with great precision. One thing is certain: it cannot be zero or even close to zero. A zero unemployment rate would mean that no one ever entered or re-entered the labor force, that no one ever quit a job or was laid off, and that for new entrants or re-entrants, the process of searching for a job consumed no time. Moreover, full-time employment cannot be defined as an equality between the number of unemployed persons and the number of unfilled jobs. By this definition, almost any unemployment rate could be consistent with the full-time employment rate.
The customary definition of the full-time U.S. unemployment rate is the lowest rate of unemployment that can be attained without resulting in an accelerated rate of inflation, given the existing economic conditions. However, no one can be sure exactly what the unemployment rate is, based on this definition, since it is not possible to predict exactly how great a change in the rate of inflation will be associated with any given change in the unemployment rate. In the early 1960s, President Kennedy's Council of Economic Advisors (CEA) determined that 4 percent was the best estimate of the full-time U.S. unemployment rate. That rate was based on data collected during the period from mid-1955 to mid-1957, when the U.S. unemployment rate fluctuated around an average of 4.1 percent and the consumer price index advanced at an average rate of 2.5 percent per year. Although a 4-percent U.S. unemployment rate may have been consistent with an acceptably low rate of inflation in the mid-1950s, by the 1960s this proposition had become increasingly doubtful. Our experience since then has been such that those who accept the customary definition of the full-time U.S. unemployment rate now consider 4.5 percent to be the optimal rate under the existing circumstances.
The principal reason for this upward adjustment in the full-time U.S. unemployment rate is the changed composition of the labor force. As the labor force becomes increasingly composed of elderly people and women, the number of workers has increased. Similarly, the number of workers who are now eligible to collect benefits has increased. To the extent that these changes have increased voluntary and involuntary layoff rates and the average length of time unemployed persons spend looking for work, the full-time unemployment rate has risen.

Q1:

According to the passage, all of the following factors must be considered in estimating the full-time unemployment rate EXCEPT

A) the percentage of women in the work force

B) the ratio of the number of unemployed workers to the number of vacant positions

C) the strength of inflationary tendencies in the economic system

D) the number of young people in the job market

E) the availability of financial help for those who are out of work

Question # 2
The passage implies that the extension of unemployment insurance to new groups of workers and the lengthening of the period for benefit payments may have encouraged:
I. Layoffs of workers by employers.
II. Abandonment of unsatisfactory jobs by employees.
III. Longer periods of job hunting by unemployed workers.

A) I only

B) I and II only

C) I and III only

D) II and III only

E) I, II, and III

Question # 3
The primary purpose of the passage is to

A) define a term

B) correct a misconception

C) suggest a new theory

D) pose a dilemma

E) make a prediction

Question # 4
The passage provides information to answer which of the following questions?

A) Why is a zero unemployment rate unlikely ever to be attained?

B) What is the likely future trend of the full-employment unemployment rate?

C) Why has the percentage of younger workers in the job market increased?

D) What rate of inflation is generally considered to be the highest acceptable rate?

E) To what extent do workers tend to quit their jobs as a result of increased unemployment benefits?

B,C,E,A
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 110 [0]
Concentration: General Management , Strategy
 Q49  V41
Send PM
My Answers

E E A A
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1927 [0]
Send PM
OA:
B
E
A
A
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 581 [0]
Concentration: MC, PE, VC
 Q50  V37
Send PM
lexis wrote:
The full-time unemployment rate cannot be determined with great precision. One thing is certain: it cannot be zero or even close to zero. A zero unemployment rate would mean that no one ever entered or re-entered the labor force, that no one ever quit a job or was laid off, and that for new entrants or re-entrants, the process of searching for a job consumed no time. Moreover, full-time employment cannot be defined as an equality between the number of unemployed persons and the number of unfilled jobs. By this definition, almost any unemployment rate could be consistent with the full-time employment rate.
The customary definition of the full-time U.S. unemployment rate is the lowest rate of unemployment that can be attained without resulting in an accelerated rate of inflation, given the existing economic conditions. However, no one can be sure exactly what the unemployment rate is, based on this definition, since it is not possible to predict exactly how great a change in the rate of inflation will be associated with any given change in the unemployment rate. In the early 1960s, President Kennedy's Council of Economic Advisors (CEA) determined that 4 percent was the best estimate of the full-time U.S. unemployment rate. That rate was based on data collected during the period from mid-1955 to mid-1957, when the U.S. unemployment rate fluctuated around an average of 4.1 percent and the consumer price index advanced at an average rate of 2.5 percent per year. Although a 4-percent U.S. unemployment rate may have been consistent with an acceptably low rate of inflation in the mid-1950s, by the 1960s this proposition had become increasingly doubtful. Our experience since then has been such that those who accept the customary definition of the full-time U.S. unemployment rate now consider 4.5 percent to be the optimal rate under the existing circumstances.
The principal reason for this upward adjustment in the full-time U.S. unemployment rate is the changed composition of the labor force. As the labor force becomes increasingly composed of elderly people and women, the number of workers has increased. Similarly, the number of workers who are now eligible to collect benefits has increased. To the extent that these changes have increased voluntary and involuntary layoff rates and the average length of time unemployed persons spend looking for work, the full-time unemployment rate has risen.

Q1:

According to the passage, all of the following factors must be considered in estimating the full-time unemployment rate EXCEPT

A) the percentage of women in the work force

B) the ratio of the number of unemployed workers to the number of vacant positions
full-time employment cannot be defined as an equality between the number of unemployed persons and the number of unfilled jobs.

C) the strength of inflationary tendencies in the economic system

D) the number of young people in the job market

E) the availability of financial help for those who are out of work

Question # 2
The passage implies that the extension of unemployment insurance to new groups of workers and the lengthening of the period for benefit payments may have encouraged:
I. Layoffs of workers by employers. (Involuntary layoff)
II. Abandonment of unsatisfactory jobs by employees. (Voluntary layoff)
III. Longer periods of job hunting by unemployed workers. (the average length of time unemployed persons spend looking for work)
A) I only

B) I and II only

C) I and III only

D) II and III only

E) I, II, and III

Question # 3
The primary purpose of the passage is to

A) define a term

B) correct a misconception

C) suggest a new theory

D) pose a dilemma
(I was inclined to choose this, but then thought this can't be the intension of any passage in GMAT..at least for non-test takers ;))

E) make a prediction

Question # 4
The passage provides information to answer which of the following questions?

A) Why is a zero unemployment rate unlikely ever to be attained?
B) What is the likely future trend of the full-employment unemployment rate?

C) Why has the percentage of younger workers in the job market increased?

D) What rate of inflation is generally considered to be the highest acceptable rate?

E) To what extent do workers tend to quit their jobs as a result of increased unemployment benefits?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 267 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
HI Guys

i got three questions of this RC correct (as per the OA), but my question is regarding Q 3
can u please explain the reasons for u r choice

i ended up picking D on this where as the OA says A for this question

u r comments will be welcome

Thanks

P.S. what is the source of this RC
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1927 [0]
Send PM
vdhawan1 wrote:
HI Guys

i got three questions of this RC correct (as per the OA), but my question is regarding Q 3
can u please explain the reasons for u r choice

i ended up picking D on this where as the OA says A for this question

u r comments will be welcome

Thanks

P.S. what is the source of this RC

Along the passage, author focuses on full-time employment rate. You can find full-time employment rate definition in almost main point of each paragraph.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 90 [0]
Send PM
fresinha12 wrote:
i will go with B E A A

B
Moreover, full-time employment cannot be defined as an equality between the number of unemployed persons and the number of unfilled jobs.

E
To the extent that these changes have increased voluntary and involuntary layoff rates and the average length of time unemployed persons spend looking for work, the full-time unemployment rate has risen.

A--i guess everyone got this one right..

A
A zero unemployment rate would mean that no one ever entered or re-entered the labor force, that no one ever quit a job or was laid off, and that for new entrants or re-entrants, the process of searching for a job consumed no time

Lexis please post OA..i dont think many partcipants here will actually attempt RC questions..

couldn't understand why the last two are A and A. could you please care to explain?

--== Message from the GMAT Club Team ==--

THERE IS LIKELY A BETTER DISCUSSION OF THIS EXACT QUESTION.
This discussion does not meet community quality standards. It has been retired.

If you would like to discuss this question please re-post it in the respective forum. Thank you!

To review the GMAT Club's Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow these links: Quantitative | Verbal Please note - we may remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines. Thank you.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

Archived Topic
Hi there,
This topic has been closed and archived due to inactivity or violation of community quality standards. No more replies are possible here.
Where to now? Join ongoing discussions on thousands of quality questions in our Reading Comprehension (RC) Forum
Still interested in this question? Check out the "Best Topics" block above for a better discussion on this exact question, as well as several more related questions.
Thank you for understanding, and happy exploring!
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
GRE Forum Moderator
13957 posts