Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 16:53 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 16:53

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 155 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Strategy, Management, Finance
Schools:Chicago Booth 2011
 Q50  V47
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 564 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
 Q47  V35
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [0]
Schools:Wharton (WEMBA East)
 Q48  V47
Send PM
Current Student
 Q50  V47
Send PM
Re: 780 (Q50, V47) [#permalink]
vishy007 wrote:
Thanks Sonibubu,

Your fine tuning will definitely help.

On the exam day, during the break time are we allowed to go to the monitor couple of minutes before we finish our 10 min break time? I am planning to prepare POE triangles for Quant and POE sheet for Verbal just before end of break time. Preparing POE sheets is time consuming after the exam start, probably beneficial to prepare them during the break.

How much helpful were the POE sheets during the actual exam? Did they help in eliminating crazy answers?

During your break, the GMAT software is running a 10 minute timer and automatically starts your test once time is up. Come back to the computer with 2 minutes left and you have plenty of time to make the table before starting the next section.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 564 [0]
 Q47  V35
Send PM
Thank You.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Send PM
jimmylow wrote:
This GMAT Rubric from MGMAT can help you determine what Q and V score needed to hit Overall score

Nice, I never saw that before...

Congrats!

8-)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 395 [0]
Send PM
Very Nice Score and thanks for sharing your tips.
Congratulations!

- Brajesh
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 140 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Gr8 Score Buddy Surely Gave me a boost to study more................ Giving GMAT in July 2008
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 837 [0]
Send PM
Excellent Score...congrats!!

Can you pls provide me with some tips for tackling RC questions

Thanks
Current Student
 Q50  V47
Send PM
vishy007 wrote:
Thanks Sonibubu,

Your fine tuning will definitely help.

On the exam day, during the break time are we allowed to go to the monitor couple of minutes before we finish our 10 min break time? I am planning to prepare POE triangles for Quant and POE sheet for Verbal just before end of break time. Preparing POE sheets is time consuming after the exam start, probably beneficial to prepare them during the break.

How much helpful were the POE sheets during the actual exam? Did they help in eliminating crazy answers?

The break is completely optional, you can skip it but I wouldn't advise that. Yes you can go back to the test early (One of my breaks was only 7 minutes long).

Not familiar with POE triangles, but yes POE tables did make verbal go smoother.
Current Student
 Q50  V47
Send PM
apurva1985 wrote:
Gr8 Score Buddy Surely Gave me a boost to study more................ Giving GMAT in July 2008

Good luck Apurva :)
Current Student
 Q50  V47
Send PM
bdumpala wrote:
Excellent Score...congrats!!

Can you pls provide me with some tips for tackling RC questions

Thanks

I liked MGMAT's tips on RC, but not their questions...i.e. they tell you different types of RC (short vs long) you might encounter so read up on that, but practice with real GMAT questions not the MGMAT questions.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 837 [0]
Send PM
How did you improve your veral score???

I have taken MGMAT 1and 2 so far and both of them got about 5 wrongs for both Sc and CR sections..

For most of these wrong answers..i end up with two choices and then apparently select the wrong one..

Do you have any systematic approach for CR and SC sections???

Your tips will be very helpful

Thanks
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 222 [0]
Given Kudos: 31
Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy, MC
Schools:Kellogg '11
Send PM
I know this is a bit late but - congrats soni!! that's a great score! :-D
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 253 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Send PM
Out of curiosity, how did you do on the OG sample questions (approx percentage right in both Quant/Verbal)? Did you track all answers and revisit weaker questions from time to time, or was it a one time effort?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Send PM
thanks for providing this information
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
sonibubu wrote:
Hey everyone,
I finally took my GMAT this morning and scored a 780. I was looking for 750 or higher, so suffice to say I've hit my goal. I'm at work right now but I'll write a full debrief either later today or sometime over the weekend.
Also wanted to thanks everyone here at GMATClub for answering questions on the forums and especially for the GMATClub tests -- I'll provide details of why the tests were so helpful in my debrief.

[EDIT] Here's my debrief:
I was hoping to get a 750 or higher and ended up with a 780. Here's a summary of my study/practice strategy and my experience.

Classes and Practice Tests
I took Manhattan GMAT's online course over the fall, from September til December (9 courses). Overall, I think it was pretty good. MGMAT's strenghts are Number Properties, Word Translations, and Sentence Correction. I didn't like their RC and CR methods -- I'll explain my reasoning behind this later in the post.

The MGMAT tests are probably the closest to the real thing (compared to Princeton, Kaplan, etc). I think the verbal on the practice tests is too difficult and the quant difficulty is about the same...except MGMAT emphasizes probability and combinatorics too much on their tests. The real GMAT puts emphasis on number properties, geometry, and good old algebra.

For the last 3 weeks I used GMATClub's tests (https://gmatclub.com/wiki/Tests). The importance of these tests was that they taught me to PAY ATTENTION. For example, "if n is a positive integer..." --- DON'T TRY n=0 or n=-1/2 when trying to solve the problem! PAY ATTENTION TO DETAILS OF THE GIVEN INFORMATION!!! This is where the GMAT catches a lot of people, that's why I double and triple checked everything.

Practice test scores:
GMATPrep1: 700 (Q46, V40)
MGMAT1: 640
MGMAT2: 660
MGMAT3: 730
GMATPrep1 retake: 720 (Q49, V40)
GMATPrep2: 720 (Q49, V40)
GMATPrep1 re-retake: 770 (Q49, V47)
GMATPrep2 retake: 760 (Q50, V45)
GMATPrep2 re-retake: 780 (Q50, V47)
Real GMAT: 780 (Q50, V47)

As you can see, I took each GMATPrep 3 times. Some people only take each test once for practice. I think this is a mistake. The GMATPrep database is pretty big and it's a CAT -- e.g. I didn't see any questions in common between the first take and second. I saw some common questions between the 2nd and 3rd take, but it's still AWESOME practice. The real GMAT has the exact same interface, so there's an extra level of comfort when you've seen the GMATPrep more than a couple times.

Quant
As an engineer by profession, I've always been strong in and had an affinity for math. That being said, I did need help with number properties and Manhattan GMAT was a great help there. Geometry and algebra are my strengths.

One aspect of quant that I believe is overblown is combinatorics. These are pretty rare, and I only saw one on my exam. It wasn't even that hard, I worked it out on paper and didn't use any of the factorial formulas. There was also some probability but it was a medium level question earlier in the test.

Verbal
I always knew that verbal would give me the hardest time. The biggest help for me in this area was Manhattan GMAT's Sentence Correction guide. There is a reason this book is called the "Bible of SC." This is where I learned the real intricacies of the English language such as comparisons, modifiers, pronoun placement, and the like. I read through this book twice during my prep time and I think it was a huge help.

As for the RC and CR, MGMAT encourages taking notes for both. I ended up taking notes only for LONG RC passages and none for the CR. MGMAT's CR passes in their books and practice tests are wayyyy too long compared to real GMAT passages. The short passages on the real test are easy to follow, so I didn't need notes there.

The CR book was helpful in that it tackles different CR questions that can show up on the GMAT -- i.e. "find the assumption", "strengthen the argument", etc. While the idea is right here, again, their passages are way too complex compared to real GMAT passages.

Exam Day
I woke up at 6:30 am for my 8am test. Took a quick shower, ate breakfast, and headed out to Pearson Vue. I put everything in my locker, had my picture taken, was fingerprinted, and sat down at my computer by 8am. This place had more security measures than a maximum security prison!

The AWA went fairly smoothly. The second essay gave me some trouble as I couldn't think of 3 solid examples to back up my opinion of the author's statement. I finished the 2nd essay with about 2 minutes to go. I took advantage of my 10 minute break for 5 minutes. I hit the water fountain and ate my Kudos bar for energy.

I was very confident in the quant section. I think I got the first 7 or 8 right and then ran into some tough geometry, number property, and algebra questions (including mixtures). From there it just got tougher and tougher. The problem here is that I didn't know which questions counted and which ones were experimental (I've heard ~10 are experimental). I may have spent too much time on some of the experimental, as I finished quant with about 20 second left. The last question was of medium difficulty so I think I got #35/36 wrong. I also remember some hard DS questions that I couldn't figure out -- these turn out to be A,B, or D more often than C or E. So I think I made some good educated guesses.

Took another break, drank my overpriced Starbucks Frappucino in a bottle for caffeine. Verbal was easier than I thought it would be. Thanks to my expertise (haha) in SC, I averaged under a minute for SC questions. Good thing, because I took forever on the RC passages. I took a few notes on RC, nothing on CR. I do remember drawing a graph for one CR to help me explain what was happening -- The GMAT loves to take simple info and turn it in to rocket science.

I finished the verbal with about 3 minutes left. I verified my information and clicked that I wanted to see my score. I was expecting a score in the 730-750 range and was pleasantly surprised when a 780 popped up. I raised my hand, the procter came over and said it was only the 2nd 780 she had ever seen. Makes me wonder how rare this really is.

Final Tips
-Study quant basics to death. Don't practice difficult combinatorics and probability questions unless you are 100% confident in your basic quant abilities. Things like number properties (even/odd, prime factors) and geometry (inscribed triangles, areas, perimeter) are way more common than combs/perms.
-Don't take too much time. Don't be afraid to guess when the quant question is beyond your abilities. This is probably one area where I hurt myself, as I forgot some experimental questions are thrown in and spent way to much time on some questions. This probably hurt me later on in the test as I was rushing towards the end.
-Bring food. This is important. The GMAT is a 4-hour test and you will need the energy. Take your breaks and get some water.
-For verbal, learn SC. It's the only thing that has somewhat of a formulaic approach. Use the MGMAT SC guide or something else to help you learn the intricacies of the language. CR includes some logic, RC requires good concentration and the ability to read fairly quickly. So practice, practice, practice all three.
-Finally, take each GMATPrep test at least twice, preferably 3 times. This will help you get comfortable with the format of the exam, and more importantly, will get you some practice with actual GMAT level questions. Just uninstall and reinstall the software after you've taken both tests. Make sure to go back and study the problems you get wrong so you can learn from your mistakes.

Great score buddy.
Current Student
 Q50  V47
Send PM
incognito1 wrote:
Out of curiosity, how did you do on the OG sample questions (approx percentage right in both Quant/Verbal)? Did you track all answers and revisit weaker questions from time to time, or was it a one time effort?

I was scoring 80% or so on the OG verbal problems and about the same on quant. These numbers were probably 45%/65% before I studied seriously with MGMAT. I didn't go back and try problems again, just moved on to the verbal guide.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 104 [0]
Send PM
Hi:
There is a huge jump between your 2nd and 3rd mgmat test.

What did you do get this. I am stuck at 680 MGMAT 3(Quantitative 47 Verbal 35 )
MGMAT 1 (Quantitative 44 Verbal 38)

Donno what to do for verbal ?

thanks,
Current Student
 Q50  V47
Send PM
abhaypratapsingh wrote:
Hi:
There is a huge jump between your 2nd and 3rd mgmat test.

What did you do get this. I am stuck at 680 MGMAT 3(Quantitative 47 Verbal 35 )
MGMAT 1 (Quantitative 44 Verbal 38)

Donno what to do for verbal ?

thanks,

Abhay, my quant stayed relatively the same throughout. My verbal just got much much better as I applied MGMAT techniques.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   
Moderator:
Founder
37297 posts