Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 13:32 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 13:32

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 951 [0]
Given Kudos: 32
Concentration: Life
Schools:Hard Knocks
 Q47  V42
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 156 [0]
Given Kudos: 29
Concentration: Brand
Schools:Cornell '11
 Q47  V40
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: Should I retake the GMAT? [#permalink]
thanks guys, I keep wondering what I did wrong with my essays but it is hard to know for sure...

About my backgrond, I am an entrepreneur (past 2 years), have worked at a major bank for 3 years (2 asset management / 1 capital markets IB).
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 520 [0]
Schools:Darden
 Q50  V51
Send PM
Well, here's how I see it. If there's something else you can work on to improve your applications for this year, then do it. If you can improve your GMAT without impacting other elements of your applications (including the financial aspect), then you should retake. Given that you were close this past year, another 30-50 points could make a difference.

The other thing to consider is whether you think you can improve your score. More important than just taking it again, you should do a little self assessment and decide whether you have the ability and the will to score into the mid to high 700s. Some people will never score that high no matter how hard they work at it. Others may have the ability but not the determination (or time or energy) to put in the effort.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 37 [0]
Concentration: CPG Marketing
Schools:R1: HBS(A), Kellogg(A), Michigan(A), Duke(A), Wharton(D)
 Q47  V41
Send PM
I think it depends upon the rest of your application. If you have strong work experience, undergrad, and ECs then it's likely your essays or interview didn't articulate this well. However, if your profile isn't as strong then an outstanding GMAT (750+) may help. But remember, most top schools are looking for the total package and not just a high GMAT. I thnk you're better off working on your essays and improving other aspects such as EC's and leadership.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 698 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship, Digital Media & Entertainment
Schools:UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
 Q51  V41
GPA: 3.9 - undergrad 3.6 - grad-EE
WE 1: Social Gaming
Send PM
I don't think the GMAT was the reason you didn't get in. a 710 is good enough at all the top schools. Sure a 750 will give you a slightly better chance, but I believe something is probably missing in your application/essays that kept you out last year. I would work on that.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
I just received a feedback from one of the schools that waitlisted me and you guys were right, my GMAT wasn't the issue.

I need to better articulate my essays.

Thanks for your help!
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 215 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Investment Management
Schools:CBS, Cornell, Duke, Ross, Darden
Send PM
MBA2010Brz wrote:
I just received a feedback from one of the schools that waitlisted me and you guys were right, my GMAT wasn't the issue.

Who were you lucky enough to get feedback from?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
CBS
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 291 [0]
Concentration: Investment Banking
Schools:Chicago (dinged), Tuck (November), Columbia (RD)
Send PM
MBA2010Brz wrote:
CBS

What did they say and did you apply RD or ED?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Last year I applied very early, but RD.

They said that I have a strong application and that last year was very competitive. I mentioned my plan to reapply to the Accelerated Program and they supported it. Then I asked if they could point out weaknesses in my application, but they didn't give me any specific points, just mentioned that I should focus on explaining my goals and to better articulate how I intend to get involved with Columbia's community. Also to submit my application as early as possible…

So, I will try again this year.
Current Student
Send PM
MBA2010Brz wrote:
Last year I applied very early, but RD.

They said that I have a strong application and that last year was very competitive. I mentioned my plan to reapply to the Accelerated Program and they supported it. Then I asked if they could point out weaknesses in my application, but they didn't give me any specific points, just mentioned that I should focus on explaining my goals and to better articulate how I intend to get involved with Columbia's community. Also to submit my application as early as possible…

So, I will try again this year.

Did you get the "encourage to reapply" rejection letter?

Good luck this year.

Cheers-
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Actually I got the "Feedback" rejection letter. Then during the feedback session they said that I shouldn’t be disappointed since last year was very competitive and mentioned that the Accelerated Program would be a good fit for me. Very different from “encouraged to reapply” but I will give it another shot.

Cheers
Current Student
Send PM
MBA2010Brz wrote:
Actually I got the "Feedback" rejection letter. Then during the feedback session they said that I shouldn’t be disappointed since last year was very competitive and mentioned that the Accelerated Program would be a good fit for me. Very different from “encouraged to reapply” but I will give it another shot.

Cheers

Interesting. I wonder if they are just trying to blow smoke up are @ss or if they really want us to reapply. Here was the rejection note that I received:

The Admissions Committee has conducted a careful review of your application for admission to Columbia Business School for September 2008. We regret that we are unable to offer you a place in this class.

It was extremely difficult to make this decision, and we sincerely appreciate the interest you have shown in Columbia Business School. Although we cannot guarantee you a place in a future class, we recognize the strengths of your application and encourage you to reapply if you are not accepting an offer elsewhere. If you choose to reapply Early Decision for the September term, you should read and understand the Early Decision Statement of Commitment. Please be aware that reapplicants are evaluated not only on their own merits, but also in comparison to the full applicant pool.

In order to reactivate your application, please visit our website at https://www.gsb.columbia.edu/mba/admissions/reapply.html for a complete reapplication checklist.

We thank you for your interest in Columbia Business School and are sorry that we must disappoint you at this time. However, if it fits your plans, we hope to hear from you again.

I also received feedback on my app and was told that it was a very competitive year. Isn't it always competitive, though? I mean it is Columbia! On one hand I want to believe them. ("Oh I had such a great time with you last night.") On the other, I feel like I'm getting led on just a little bit. ("I think I just want to be friends.")

In any event good luck on the reapp!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
I do believe that we have a good chance this year. After been waitlisted for several months and receiving a positive feedback I think it is unlikely that they did all this just to be nice. Of course nothing is guaranteed, but I do believe that we have a better chance this year.

I hope I'm not wrong.

Good luck this year!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Got an interview invitation this week...let's see how it goes....
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 349 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Schools:Chicago Booth '11
 Q50  V38
Send PM
for Columbia ED? good luck
Intern
Intern
Send PM
for the Accelerated MBA Program (J Term)

thanks
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 223 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Concentration: General Management
Schools:NYU Stern '11
Wait, what? Where does CBS want us to demonstrate how to get involved with Columbia's community? They hardly leave any scope for such demonstrations in their essays.

MBA2010Brz wrote:
better articulate how I intend to get involved with Columbia's community.
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2