Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 16:32 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 16:32

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 72 [0]
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Send PM
Re: Calling all Columbia Applicants for 2009! [#permalink]
How will I know if the early decision application becomes available? I try to see by clicking on start an application, then a Spring 2009 button came up. I hope that doesn't lock me in for the Spring 2009 application. Anyone knows?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 61 [0]
Concentration: Investment Banking or Investment Management
Send PM
Has anyone started working on the J-Term essays with the thought (hope) that they will be the same as ED?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 182 [0]
Schools:Wharton
Send PM
Yep - Me right here!! I have a feeling they will replace Essay 2 from J-term (theory vs practice) with something else though..
Current Student
Send PM
sterny wrote:
Yep - Me right here!! I have a feeling they will replace Essay 2 from J-term (theory vs practice) with something else though..

Oddly enough I was sort of thinking the same thing. Well, not that we would definitely repalce it but that if they did replace or change any that would be the one. What makes you think they will replace it?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
happybunny wrote:
How will I know if the early decision application becomes available? I try to see by clicking on start an application, then a Spring 2009 button came up. I hope that doesn't lock me in for the Spring 2009 application. Anyone knows?

I clicked on Spring 2009 application. Later I called the admission office and checked, and the lady there told me that I can start the fall term application once it goes live. She was very nice and went ahead to tell me that any information I fill in J-term app will not carry over and that I do not have to worry about starting more than one app.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 182 [0]
Schools:Wharton
Send PM
IHateTheGMAT wrote:
sterny wrote:

Oddly enough I was sort of thinking the same thing. Well, not that we would definitely repalce it but that if they did replace or change any that would be the one. What makes you think they will replace it?

Hmm..well here is my take on it. On every school's essay they usually try to cover three things,

1. Goals
2. Past accomplishment + Leader
3. Character essay/Ethics/Passion (the wildcard)

Looking at CBS, their essay 1 is a FORWARD-LOOKING goals essay, so there is not much room to squeeze in your past accomplishments in detail if you have to combine your goals +why mba? +why cbs? in 750 words. Their essay 2 also does not give a whole lot of leeway for past accomplisments + leadership although I can concieve people trying to FIT it in theory vs practice. The essay 3 is more of a place to discuss other aspects of the personality.

Note that some schools (like chicago) have a long enough essay 1 (1500 words) to cover both goals and past accomplishments

Thats why I think, no wait, i HOPE that they change essay 2 to something more generic like "greatest achievement", "what makes a good leader?" kind of essay. Its just wishful thinking though.. :) What about you?
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 223 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Concentration: General Management
Schools:NYU Stern '11
anadimisra wrote:
happybunny wrote:

I clicked on Spring 2009 application. Later I called the admission office and checked, and the lady there told me that I can start the fall term application once it goes live. She was very nice and went ahead to tell me that any information I fill in J-term app will not carry over and that I do not have to worry about starting more than one app.

did she happen to say when the '09 application would go live? what's the spring '09 application anyway?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Hey djhouse. Thanks man. You've been very helpful. Count me in as a Columbia Applicant!

djhouse81 wrote:
Foo Fighter,

Columbia is near all of the action. One great thing about Columbia is when you step onto the campus from the busy the busy NYC street you are immediately whisked away to a college campus. All of the buildings and halls are located on these main grounds, so you certainly feel like you are part of the university. I couldn't say whether b-school students mingle with students from other schools, but it would not be hard to do so.

Columbia is not a "commuter" school. Being that it is at the top of Manhattan in Morningside Heights (the 100's), everyone has to travel far, relative to other areas of Manhattan. Therefore, eveyone tends to stay on campus all day with classes, groups work, recruiting sessions, and socializing.

fooFighter wrote:
Hey guys thanks fort an informative thread!

I'm looking towards applying to Columbia this fall too. I'm an Intl student.

I'm wondering how in the Columbia atmosphere would be. Do people hang out on campus (Uris, Warren halls) after classes? Is the bschool far away from the rest of the university or do bschoolers mingle with other people? Or does everyone go their own separate way? I don't like using the word, but is Columbia a "commuter" school (whatever your definition) or not so much?

From those who visited the campus, how is it?

I'm really interested in Columbia and any help would be great :)

Cheers!
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Guys what is the acceptance rate for the ED round?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 37 [0]
Concentration: 20% From Concentration
Schools:The School that shall not be named
 Q49  V38
Send PM
I'll apply just because it's close to home....
And I know the campus very well :)
Current Student
Send PM
sterny wrote:
IHateTheGMAT wrote:
sterny wrote:

Hmm..well here is my take on it. On every school's essay they usually try to cover three things,

1. Goals

Looking at CBS, their essay 1 is a FORWARD-LOOKING goals essay, so there is not much room to squeeze in your past accomplishments in detail if you have to combine your goals +why mba? +why cbs? in 750 words. Their essay 2 also does not give a whole lot of leeway for past accomplisments + leadership although I can concieve people trying to FIT it in theory vs practice. The essay 3 is more of a place to discuss other aspects of the personality.

Note that some schools (like chicago) have a long enough essay 1 (1500 words) to cover both goals and past accomplishments

Thats why I think, no wait, i HOPE that they change essay 2 to something more generic like "greatest achievement", "what makes a good leader?" kind of essay. Its just wishful thinking though.. :) What about you?

My thinking was pretty similar. Basically, when I look at their set of essay questions I think "How can they decide which applicants they want based on this set of questions? They just don't seem to give many opportunities to discuss accomplishments, leadership, what you've done, etc. I also think essay 2 is a pretty poor question and its clear that its just a transparent attempt to advertise their master classes (I mean did you see that promo video they want us to watch!? It's like a five minute commercial for CBS!). Problem is.... that's also what makes me think they might keep the question.... the fact that they clearly want to advertise their master classes. I mean they can talk about stuff in brocures, website, adcom presentations, etc. But the one way to ensure every applicant knows about it is to put it in an essay question!

Right now I am attempting to force some of my accomplishments into the topics they gave us because I want the adcom to know about them. The but it's not easy....
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Send PM
solaris1 wrote:
what's the spring '09 application anyway?

It's the school's January-term program.

fatb wrote:
I'll apply just because it's close to home.... :)

That's a great answer to "Fit question!" :lol:
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
sterny wrote:
IHateTheGMAT wrote:
sterny wrote:

1. Goals

Hey sterny, I've made the exact same point on the BW Columbia ED thread. I don't think it is a very comprehensive set of essays, when compared to Kellogg's or even Harvard's. It feels like we can't really tell our story.

But as, ChrisW noted, you can force feed your achievements in there - it just ain't very easy!

Good luck everyone
Andrea
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 291 [0]
Concentration: Investment Banking
Schools:Chicago (dinged), Tuck (November), Columbia (RD)
Send PM
For regular decision, I understand that admissions are conducted on a rolling basis, and the earlier you apply - the better.

However, considering that the AdCom technically reviews applications from January - April, are applications submitted in lets say October or November given priority over applications submitted in December or January?

For example, will people who submitted in October and November start getting interviews in January, whereas people who submit in December/January will only be interviewed in February or March?
Current Student
Send PM
terp06 wrote:
For regular decision, I understand that admissions are conducted on a rolling basis, and the earlier you apply - the better.

However, considering that the AdCom technically reviews applications from January - April, are applications submitted in lets say October or November given priority over applications submitted in December or January?

For example, will people who submitted in October and November start getting interviews in January, whereas people who submit in December/January will only be interviewed in February or March?

They do give priority to people that submitted earlier, even though they don't start reviewing apps till January. They review apps in the order received, so if you submit in November they will review you before somebody that submits in December. They won't start till early January, but when they do start they will review Oct/Nov people first.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 69 [0]
 Q48  V39
Send PM
The review for RD is 12 weeks so if you submit the day after ED, then you'll have initial notification in 12 weeks, no 12 weeks from January. It's rolling and they continue reviewing applications, there is not break from Oct - Jan.
Current Student
Send PM
anadimisra wrote:

Thanks anadimisra, I guess I'll have to wait patiently for the application to become available.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  59