Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 00:21 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 00:21

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 222 [0]
Given Kudos: 31
Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy, MC
Schools:Kellogg '11
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 291 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Strategy
Schools:Ross Class of 2011
 Q49  V40
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 156 [0]
Given Kudos: 29
Concentration: Brand
Schools:Cornell '11
 Q47  V40
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 61 [0]
Concentration: Investment Banking or Investment Management
Send PM
Re: Calling all Tuck Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink]
I'm in
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
:twisted: Tuck N' Tijji ....Simply TNT!!!! :twisted:
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 223 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Concentration: General Management
Schools:NYU Stern '11
I'm currently on the fence, very interested by the school but need a little more convincing about the social aspects of life at Tuck (er, too many married people anyone :-D ). Hope to speak to Tuck alumni at a local "meet and greet" event and visit campus in September, and then consider applying EA or R1.

I love New England and everything, but I'm going back to school as much for the experience and networking as I am for the education, and I need to make sure I will be comfortable in the school environment at Dartmouth.

-- edit --

I'm dropping my plans for an application to Tuck. The location is just a bit too isolated for my taste.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Kudos
Reapplicant here.

BTW, Solaris and others who are on the fence, I would strongly encourage you to visit. Tuck is a love it or chuck it kind of place. I visited, and since I have a family, I found it a great place for a family with a kid. Being international, my spouse anyway will not be able to work in US ( lack of work opportunity for spouse is a major concern for many US students while chosing Tuck). Dartmouth moreover offers free audit of classes for the students' spouses.

But it is very easy not to like the place too. One must take into account that one will spend at least 20 months there. It is really remote. I had never visited US countryside before and I was up for a shock ( for example after getting off the bus at White River Junction at 7:00 pm, I was the ONLY person walking, it was creepy). During one day ( the day after I reached) that I was there I bumped into many guys in a pub whom I saw at school in the morning. So, it is either the same set of people everywhere or the dark forest and the long road.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 182 [0]
Schools:Wharton
Send PM
I am contemplating as well...on the fence right now.

The sole reason for me is the good placement statistics in IB - am not wild about the forests, would rather prefer the city..so still deciding!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 79 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
Schools: Haas '15
GMAT 1: 680 Q47 V37
GPA: 3.6
WE:Engineering (Computer Hardware)
Send PM
I haven't visited the campus yet but considering I attended undergrad in the armpit of Oregon (Klamath Falls -- *queue dualing banjoes*) I can't imagine this being any worse. I actually prefer a more rural, close-knit community...although the ratio of married to singles does worry me a little bit.

Count me in...good luck everyone!! :-D
SVP
SVP
Concentration: Investment Banking
Schools:Chicago (dinged), Tuck (November), Columbia (RD)
Send PM
I am likely in. I visited Hanover a few weeks ago. This school is very unique. Make sure that you can handle it before you apply. Coming from a big state school, I felt that the personal attention and the inability to hide or have privacy may be a refreshing experience. Also, culturally, I definitely fit in at Tuck.

The only downside to keep in mind is that 2nd years are not eligible for on-campus housing. A lot of 2nd years literally live like 10+ miles from campus in the middle of the wilderness and have to drive in to Hanover. You will need a 4WD vehicle for your 2nd year.
VP
VP
10 miles - oh dear! I'm a city kid without a car and I was hoping to make it through b-school by relying on my trusty old bike. so there's seriously no 2nd year accommodation within walking distance or a bus ride away?

terp06 wrote:
I am likely in. I visited Hanover a few weeks ago. This school is very unique. Make sure that you can handle it before you apply. Coming from a big state school, I felt that the personal attention and the inability to hide or have privacy may be a refreshing experience. Also, culturally, I definitely fit in at Tuck.

The only downside to keep in mind is that 2nd years are not eligible for on-campus housing. A lot of 2nd years literally live like 10+ miles from campus in the middle of the wilderness and have to drive in to Hanover. You will need a 4WD vehicle for your 2nd year.
SVP
SVP
Send PM
There is - but its very limited and in high demand. You can forget about bike riding with the amount of snow that Hanover gets. Tuck is truly in a rural location. For many Tuck students, they look at it as "one of the last times in my life that I'll get a chance to live in the country".

solaris1 wrote:
10 miles - oh dear! I'm a city kid without a car and I was hoping to make it through b-school by relying on my trusty old bike. so there's seriously no 2nd year accommodation within walking distance or a bus ride away?

terp06 wrote:

Current Student
Send PM
terp06 wrote:
There is - but its very limited and in high demand. You can forget about bike riding with the amount of snow that Hanover gets. Tuck is truly in a rural location. For many Tuck students, they look at it as "one of the last times in my life that I'll get a chance to live in the country".

solaris1 wrote:

terp06 wrote:

I've visited Dartmouth as an undergrad when I was there for debate tourneys in January and February (!!)...I saw the snow/ruralness as a necessary inconvenience so they won't be too much of a dealbreaker for me!

I'm going to try and go again prior to admitting my application but am not sure how easily that will happen!

There are some schools like MIT and Columbia that really want you to visit, show the love if you will - do you think Tuck is one of them?

cheers,
ac.
SVP
SVP
Send PM
Without a doubt, Tuck is one of them. They allow self-initiated interviews and it is highly recommended that you visit Hanover for a day and complete one.

ac8706 wrote:

I've visited Dartmouth as an undergrad when I was there for debate tourneys in January and February (!!)...I saw the snow/ruralness as a necessary inconvenience so they won't be too much of a dealbreaker for me!

I'm going to try and go again prior to admitting my application but am not sure how easily that will happen!

There are some schools like MIT and Columbia that really want you to visit, show the love if you will - do you think Tuck is one of them?

cheers,
ac.
Current Student
Send PM
Oh that's right - I forgot about the self-initiated interview! :lol: I guess that will take care of both the visit and the interview....
cheers,
ac.

terp06 wrote:
Without a doubt, Tuck is one of them. They allow self-initiated interviews and it is highly recommended that you visit Hanover for a day and complete one.

ac8706 wrote:

cheers,
ac.
Current Student
Send PM
Several posts have pointed out the ratio of married to non-married students...are there stats anywhere on what percentage of students are married? didn't see any on the website and am curious :)
cheers,
ac.
VP
VP
Students with Partners: 42%
Students with Children: 10%

Based on general conversations, I've been told the majority of those on campus with "partners", are married. I've nothing against married people naturally, but I do feel this has an impact on the school culture. Whether the impact is perceived to be positive or negative is for you to decide :-D

https://www.tuck.edu/pdf/t08-class-profile.pdf
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 61 [0]
Concentration: Investment Banking or Investment Management
Send PM
solaris1 wrote:

Based on general conversations, I've been told the majority of those on campus with "partners", are married. I've nothing against married people naturally, but I do feel this has an impact on the school culture. Whether the impact is perceived to be positive or negative is for you to decide :-D

Wow, 42% is A LOT
Current Student
Send PM
wow that's a lot!
I agree - that can impact the school culture quite a bit. Hmm...

IHateTheGMAT wrote:
solaris1 wrote:

Wow, 42% is A LOT
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Schools:Darden(R1) UNC(R2) Ross(R2) Emory(R2) Olin(R1) Smeal(R1) Ga Tech (R1)
Send PM
Hey all... will mostly be putting in an app. as well.. So far in my research Ive found it to be very good general management school and with some strategy and consulting electives.. should get to where I want career wise.. I hope I am write about the above assumption. Can someone pls. share some info. on how good the consulting program is?? and how is the job scene for internship and post MBA?
Also, as a n international student from a very warm tropical climate wondering how bad the transition would be :)
Any help would be appreciated...
Thanks,

Uday
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  37