Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 03:24 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 03:24

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 322 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 951 [0]
Given Kudos: 32
Concentration: Life
Schools:Hard Knocks
 Q47  V42
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 322 [0]
Send PM
VP
VP
 Q47  V42
Send PM
Re: Interesting blog from someone who scored 800 twice [#permalink]
I'm the reason my school created a lot of rules ;-), but I don't go bragging about it! (just kdding)

When did GMAC start that rule? I've hever heard of that rule.

mbawaters wrote:
jallenmorris wrote:
That's a good article. I think it's solid advice about school selection. Whether he scored 800 once or twice, who cares?

he claims that he is the reason why GMAC deviced the policy that bars 800 takers for 5 years. Just an interesting read dude - though i agree with who cares part!

https://www.perfectgmat.com/shawns.html
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 721 [0]
Send PM
I think MGMAT has an instructor who has scored 800 twice.
VP
VP
 Q47  V42
Send PM
I believe that anyone that can score 750+ could score 800 with enough prep (and a little bit of luck on testing day). Scoring 800 twice doesn't impress me all that much. My questions are:

Which school did that person attend?
Can they hold a conversation with a "normal" person like the rest of us GMATClubbers (not a plumber guy like that Yale professor)?
What is that person doing now?

I'd rather analyze that person holistically, similar to the way the adcoms do. I think if we start to think that our GMAT Score is everything, we run the risk of reading a post by a plummber and not having anything to post in response. :-D
VP
VP
 Q47  V42
Send PM
Hope his toilet doesn't clog.
aaron22197 wrote:
I think MGMAT has an instructor who has scored 800 twice.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 182 [1]
 Q50  V41
Send PM
Bookmarks
Shawn Berry is the only person to have scored 800 twice ever. He is very good at what he does, and yes, anyone who can score mid 700's with enough preparation can nail a 790-800.

What he says about mental endurance is 100% right on the money. Your brain is a muscle too. If you condition it to function in a certain way (ie long sessions at near 100% capacity) it will adapt by growing new neurons and optimizing its glucose consumption. This is much akin to how your muscles adapt-- if you train them to produce maximum power output for short interval (type 2B fast twitch fibers), your muscles will adapt by growing new neurons and maximizing the number of muscle fibres each neuron control unit actives, as well as optimizing the sequence in which they contract. This is how relatively small lifters such as Pyrros Dimas, 85kg (170 lbs), can hang clean 200kg (400 lbs).

Getting to the low to mid 700s requires knowing all of the fundamentals and the proper approach; nailing a high 700 or 800 requires the same thing but you need to be a speed & stamina demon.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Send PM
getting an 800 requires ability and some luck
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 234 [0]
Schools:St Gallen, Cambridge, HEC Montreal
 Q48  V39
Send PM
Maybe he's very good at the gmat, but I wouldn't ask him to review my essays:

"To cut your GMAT errors in half, you should ask me, Shawn Berry, to teach you the GMAT because: (1) I know the GMAT better than anyone else, (2) I teach the GMAT better than anyone else, and (3) I've devised the best GMAT preparation system."

:roll:

The Shawn Berry facts!!
GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 693 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
 Q51  V50
Send PM
Scoring 800 on the GMAT is not as easy as you think. 51V is probably a score given to 1 in 1000 at most, and without 51V, you don't get 800 (as far as I know). An 800 GMAT is like running 100m in 10.5 seconds- you need to be exceptionally talented.

The great news is that unless you are applying for a merit-based scholarship or want to earn a living as a GMAT instructor, a 730-750 GMAT is just as valid as a 780-800 GMAT. Adcoms of top business schools really don't give it another thought. It's just an indication of your ability to handle the academic component of an MBA program, and if you have 720 or higher on the GMAT , your essays, recommendation letters and interview are far more important.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 71 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Schools:Tepper '11
Send PM
I'm sure he's a bright guy and makes a lot of interesting points in the blog article. He's still a doobie haha

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Schools:MIT
Send PM
Tarmac wrote:
I'm sure he's a bright guy and makes a lot of interesting points in the blog article. He's still a doobie haha

Classic. :lol:
VP
VP
 Q47  V42
Send PM
So how is he doing now? He scored 800 twice on the GMAT, is a tutor / mentor now for testers. I guess we have to ask ourselvse: doobie or not, would we be happy with the career/life style he has now?

I think I would be.

He charges a boatload for his services. Works when he wants to. Has tons of successful educated b-schoolers that equate their success with acceptance to school (and all that comes with that) to him. Not bad.

smkrn wrote:
Tarmac wrote:

Classic. :lol:
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 71 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
I wouldn't want his lifestyle. He's well-known as a doobie. I heard he is very hard to work with at times. He's been sued more than once in open court for breach of contract. He seems to do all his tutoring himself, basically so he doesn't have to pay any teaching staff. His income is not very scalable, if he wants 20% more money next year, he has to work 20% more hours next year. What is he going to do when he is 50 years old? Take the GMAT every 5 years to get an 800? Would you want that?
VP
VP
 Q47  V42
Send PM
Does he have anyone else that works under him and tutors? He could create the Shawn Berry brand and whoever he has teach under his name may not have gotten 800 twice, but I'm sure they'd still be impressive. There is more he can do than just work 20% more hours. But that's a con of being a one-doobie show.

Tarmac wrote:
I wouldn't want his lifestyle. He's well-known as a doobie. I heard he is very hard to work with at times. His income is not very scalable, if he wants 20% more money next year, he has to work 20% more hours next year. Would you want that?
GMAT Instructor
 Q51  V50
Send PM
For $10,000, one would hope one was getting the 'real deal'! What make him hard to work with ?
VP
VP
 Q47  V42
Send PM
He wouldn't be able to charge $10k if he were not going to be the person's tutor. Whatever tutor did work for him would be getting the reputation of being "screened" by Shawn Berry. Like when Microsoft says "This is a great product!" We know to be skeptical about it, or if Google says "This is a great product!" We all run out and start using it. We trust Google.

kevincan wrote:
For $10,000, one would hope one was getting the 'real deal'! What make him hard to work with ?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 71 [0]
Send PM
kevincan wrote:

do an internet search for perfectgmat and you will see many threads regarding him.

His business model is terribly flawed. It is based on the appeal of working _directly_ with this person who got 800 x 2. It makes it extremely problematic to insert a surrogate tutor and claim that is the same experience. And from internet message boards, his training does not seem to use anything new, he just teaches you himself from the OG11 and charges 10k for it. If he has not developed any new training method and he has no way to extend his teaching to other tutors, he is at a dead end.

From a career perspective he would have probably been better off applying at MGMAT as a tutoring manager and working his way up to being Director of teaching staff so that he can try to add improvements or his own knowledge to their method. But, I bet he is either too hard to work with, or too egotistical, or too stupid.
GMAT Instructor
 Q51  V50
Send PM
If he gets 25 students a year, that's not a bad income for a low-pressure job! It is thrilling to feel that you are making a difference in someone's career, and it's nice to be your own boss. If you feel like giving someone a free class to boost his/her morale, you can do so!
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   
Moderator:
Founder
37301 posts