Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 11:32 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 11:32

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 155 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Strategy, Management, Finance
Schools:Chicago Booth 2011
 Q50  V47
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 69 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
 Q48  V39
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Send PM
Re: Calling all Columbia Applicants for 2009! [#permalink]
I visited Columbia in April. I really loved it. I attended the global economy. I think the professor did a really good job at engage the students in the class, and the students also participated. I like how the class is integrated with the theory and analysis of current events instead of just theory (drawing curves). At the end, there was a debate on whether Chinese economy is overheating. I thought that was very entertaining and I can see how engaged the students are on the topic.

I had lunch and chat with the Investment banking group VP(asia), since that is my short-term career goal. It was quite fruitful. He worked in IB before he attended Columbia, so he already have his own experience with the industry. The fact the he worked both in the US and in China give me have a better understanding of the career that I'm pursuing. I also walked around and talked to random people on campus, they were all very friendly. But, the important thing is that they all look happy. :P

Anyone is frustrated with the theory and practice essay?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Send PM
ryguy904 wrote:
I don't think that I've officially announced it in this thread, but count this boy in for an ED reapp! :punk

Good luck ryguy!
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 223 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Concentration: General Management
Schools:NYU Stern '11
happybunny wrote:

Wait, so it's confirmed that the J-term essays are going to part of the ED/RD applications, too? I'm dropping by Columbia for a quick visit tomorrow. Will certainly share anything extraordinary!
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 72 [0]
Send PM
I remember it was around mid-July, this time last year, that ED applications were released. I would expect something this week, given that they are not running behind schedule.

Keep working on the J-Term essays because they most likely will be the same, and if they're not they won't be drastically different. Make sure your recommenders are ready to go if you have not prepared them already; the Columbia recommendation letter requires more of recommenders than I've seen at other schools.

Good luck to everyone! You are all starting early, which puts you on the right path, and your strong applications will be a direct result of this level of initiative.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
happybunny wrote:
I visited Columbia in April. I really loved it. I attended the global economy. I think the professor did a really good job at engage the students in the class, and the students also participated. I like how the class is integrated with the theory and analysis of current events instead of just theory (drawing curves). At the end, there was a debate on whether Chinese economy is overheating. I thought that was very entertaining and I can see how engaged the students are on the topic.

I had lunch and chat with the Investment banking group VP(asia), since that is my short-term career goal. It was quite fruitful. He worked in IB before he attended Columbia, so he already have his own experience with the industry. The fact the he worked both in the US and in China give me have a better understanding of the career that I'm pursuing. I also walked around and talked to random people on campus, they were all very friendly. But, the important thing is that they all look happy. :P

This is funny :-)

I attended through the host program in April 2007... and there was the same class about China overheating! I guess it's still a hot topic. ;-)
Current Student
Send PM
solaris1 wrote:
Wait, so it's confirmed that the J-term essays are going to part of the ED/RD applications, too? I'm dropping by Columbia for a quick visit tomorrow. Will certainly share anything extraordinary!

No, it's not confirmed. I'm just working on it and feeling very frustrated. :(
Hope you have fun at Columbia. Update us :P
Current Student
Send PM
deckardbr wrote:
This is funny :-)
I attended through the host program in April 2007... and there was the same class about China overheating! I guess it's still a hot topic. ;-)

Haha.. that is funny. Where Chinese market is the hottest market right now. :P
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 61 [0]
Concentration: Investment Banking or Investment Management
Send PM
happybunny wrote:
solaris1 wrote:

No, it's not confirmed. I'm just working on it and feeling very frustrated. :(
Hope you have fun at Columbia. Update us :P

I was really frustrated too and I thought it was a terrible question. But, I ended up doing about 7-8 drafts of it and I now feel really good about that essay. So, now if they replace it I'm gonna be pissed off! I'm almost done with my career goals essay also and a couple drafts into both the failure essay and the passion essay. The passion essay is really tough. Hopefully they don't change these essays at all (or at least not much) because I've done a lot of work. I'm thinking I may have actually done too much work on them already since I don't know if we will even get the same questions, but I really want to get my app in by the end of August.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Send PM
IHateTheGMAT wrote:
I was really frustrated too and I thought it was a terrible question. But, I ended up doing about 7-8 drafts of it and I now feel really good about that essay. So, now if they replace it I'm gonna be pissed off! I'm almost done with my career goals essay also and a couple drafts into both the failure essay and the passion essay. The passion essay is really tough. Hopefully they don't change these essays at all (or at least not much) because I've done a lot of work. I'm thinking I may have actually done too much work on them already since I don't know if we will even get the same questions, but I really want to get my app in by the end of August.

I just started my first essay - the goals essay, and it is taking time. I thought the passion essay would be easy. Why did it feel so tough to you?
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 223 [1]
Given Kudos: 22
Concentration: General Management
Schools:NYU Stern '11
Kudos
IHateTheGMAT, I might have some good news for you.

I went to an information session with the Assistant Director of Admissions at CBS today, and she said this year there were going to be 3 essays instead of the 4 in earlier years. The ones she specifically mentioned were:

-edit posting the actual essay topics below-

Essay 1: What are your short-term and long-term post-MBA goals? How will Columbia Business School help you achieve these goals? (Recommended 750 word limit)

Essay 2: Master Classes are the epitome of bridging the gap between theory and practice at Columbia Business School. View link below. Please provide an example from your own life in which practical experience taught you more than theory alone. (Recommended 500 word limit)
RealVideo: https://merlin.gsb.columbia.edu:8080/ramgen/video1/faculty/MasterClass-promo.rm

Essay 3: Please provide an example of a team failure of which you’ve been a part. If given a second chance, what would you do differently? (Recommended 500 word limit)

The optional essay remains, well, optional.

It looks like the essays are going to be the same as the J-term essays, except that there's not going to be an Essay 4 about your "passions" etc.

She said the ED application was going to go live by the end of next week.

A couple of other interesting things said during the session, "no difference in selectivity between ED and RD" :-D, and that CBS expects applications to be up 20% in the coming cycle (unless I misheard her and she was talking about 2007 applications being up 20%).

So, happy writing folks! Will be visiting a class at CBS tomorrow morning.

Originally posted by solaris1 on 14 Jul 2008, 18:19.
Last edited by solaris1 on 14 Jul 2008, 19:23, edited 1 time in total.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 291 [0]
Concentration: Investment Banking
Schools:Chicago (dinged), Tuck (November), Columbia (RD)
Send PM
solaris1 wrote:

I went to an information session with the Assistant Director of Admissions at CBS today, and she said this year there were going to be 3 essays instead of the 4 in earlier years. The ones she specifically mentioned were:

Essay 1: The standard goals essay from earlier years.

Essay 2: The Master Class "Practice versus Theory" essay someone cited earlier in the thread.

Essay 3: The "team failure" thing someone else mentioned earlier.

It looks like the essays are going to be the same as the J-term essays, except that there's not going to be an Essay 4 about your "passions" etc.

A couple of other interesting things said during the session, "no difference in selectivity between ED and RD" :-D, and that CBS expects applications to be up 20% in the coming cycle (unless I misheard her and she was talking about 2007 applications being up 20%).

Kudos. Thank you very much for the news.

Let us know how the class visit goes.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 215 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Investment Management
Schools:CBS, Cornell, Duke, Ross, Darden
Send PM
solaris1 wrote:

When the application season closed this year, Columbia had posted on their website that applications were up 7% from 2007.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 349 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Schools:Chicago Booth '11
 Q50  V38
Send PM
20% yikes. I don't buy the selectivity issue. I've heard from AdCom members that early RD is the same as ED.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 61 [0]
Concentration: Investment Banking or Investment Management
Send PM
solaris1 wrote:

Essay 1: What are your short-term and long-term post-MBA goals? How will Columbia Business School help you achieve these goals? (Recommended 750 word limit)

Essay 2: Master Classes are the epitome of bridging the gap between theory and practice at Columbia Business School. View link below. Please provide an example from your own life in which practical experience taught you more than theory alone. (Recommended 500 word limit)
RealVideo: https://merlin.gsb.columbia.edu:8080/ramgen/video1/faculty/MasterClass-promo.rm

Essay 3: Please provide an example of a team failure of which you’ve been a part. If given a second chance, what would you do differently? (Recommended 500 word limit)

Kudos!

Thanks a ton for the awesome news! It's really helpful. I guess all my work on the J-Term essays wasn't a waste, and my worst one is gone! Cool.

The 20% number is definitely scary though.

Thanks again. great info
Current Student
Send PM
I liked the passion essay for a while now :evil: Oh.... well.

I hope there is an advantage in applying ED than RD, because I expect the love to be mutual. :cry:
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
solaris1 wrote:

Maybe I'm going crazy, but to me this sounds like bad news. :-/

3 essays, only? #1 future goals, #2 theory/practice, #3 team failure. 1750 words in total to convey the roundness of our profile? ECs? Leadership? Accomplishments? Personal values/traits? Future plans?

Is it me, or this is a lot to cover in such specific essays? I thought the original 4 didn't allow much room either, but this seems worse.

Maybe I'm not being creative enough, or short sighted as to how to make the most of these 3 essays. Can someone please share how he plans to cover all the bases using these 3 essays?

Thanks a lot
Andrea
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 69 [0]
 Q48  V39
Send PM
I don't believe that the quality of students ED to RD are the same, maybe the % admitted.
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  59