Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 00:28 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 00:28

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Schools:Cornell '11
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 26 [1]
 Q48  V39
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 520 [1]
Schools:Darden
 Q50  V51
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Schools:Cornell '11
Send PM
Re: MBA for Ibanking [#permalink]
Thanks Pelihu...that at least gives me some hope! :wink:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 62 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General Management
Schools:St. Gallen '09
 Q47  V40
Send PM
lanter1 wrote:
glettian wrote:
What's the point in getting an MBA to get into Ibanking if those firms seem to only take those w/ prior experience? Especially in this market (for internship recruiting in the summer of 2010), will someone like me, with a background as a CPA w/ a big 4 firm and a couple years of internal finance, be able to get in as an associate? If the chances are low, what's the point in even trying???

i met a guy at yale who got an internship at a hedge fund and he worked in the peace corps for 7 years. he also had offers from i-banks. try not to have such a negative outlook.

I would love to hear that story!!! Any ideas on what he did (or who he knew) in order to get those offers?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Send PM
My BS is in Computer Engineering and I shifted into investments (buy side) with alot of hard work and study (CFA) without any formal academic degree. So I know how difficult it can get. With an MBA (comparatively) it is so much easier. You have to take the right courses, network like crazy and a summer internship after the first year at an ibank will help you immensely in landing a full time gig post graduation.

I am making this number from a hat, but roughly 30% to 40% of a class at an MBA are career changers. They find ways to get what they want so you should not be put off. GL!
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 155 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Strategy, Management, Finance
Schools:Chicago Booth 2011
 Q50  V47
Send PM
I assume it's near impossible to get a FT ibanking position if your internship is in something else (e.g. consulting)? I'm asking specifically for career changers.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Send PM
In the current market conditions I'd say quite damn difficult.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Send PM
If you want it bad enough, JUST DO IT! You never know what's going to happen in the future, even the market is like pre-internet bubble, they trying to recruit as many people as possible, two years later you can still come out MBA without a banking offer. Sometime even you network your ass off and take all the right courses you can still end up with no offer. So what?! If it is truly what you want to do, you will do whatever to make it happen. Something will work out. Stop being a whiner. Enjoy the process.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 26 [0]
 Q48  V39
Send PM
trader1 wrote:
lanter1 wrote:
glettian wrote:
What's the point in getting an MBA to get into Ibanking if those firms seem to only take those w/ prior experience? Especially in this market (for internship recruiting in the summer of 2010), will someone like me, with a background as a CPA w/ a big 4 firm and a couple years of internal finance, be able to get in as an associate? If the chances are low, what's the point in even trying???

i met a guy at yale who got an internship at a hedge fund and he worked in the peace corps for 7 years. he also had offers from i-banks. try not to have such a negative outlook.

I would love to hear that story!!! Any ideas on what he did (or who he knew) in order to get those offers?

The best idea I can give is that Yale has 180 students and puts 49% of the class in diversified financials with 26% going into IB. Students are not competing against 30 other students for 4 Yale spots within a bank. It makes it much easier to standout and get to know the recruiters when there are only around 50 students interested in IB and ten companies recruiting. Also, for hedge funds Yale is in CT and there are many hedge funds within 1.5 hour drive or train ride.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Send PM
Yeah, I wouldn't worry about it too much. The banks may prefer people with past experience in IB, but I don't know of a single person who did IB pre b-school and then wanted to do it post b-school as well. Some went into other finance roles, others did something new.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 223 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Concentration: General Management
Schools:NYU Stern '11
Yes, AFAIK the banks aim to make full-time offers to everyone who was part of their summer intern class. If you didn't intern and were looking for a full-time offer, well good luck!

And a lot of banks like Citi hire MBAs for non-IB positions as well. I hope people realize that and mean investment banking positions specifically instead of using "i-banking" as a generic all-encompassing term.

sonibubu wrote:
I assume it's near impossible to get a FT ibanking position if your internship is in something else (e.g. consulting)? I'm asking specifically for career changers.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Send PM
Quote:
Yes, AFAIK the banks aim to make full-time offers to everyone who was part of their summer intern class.

That's not happening. I have a few anecdotal stories from close friends that indicate otherwise. And they are 2008 MBA graduates from the top elite schools.

FWIW, several top law firms in NYC also sent out emails last week to their summer classes indicating job offers won't be extended to everyone.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 155 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Concentration: Finance
Schools:Kellogg Class of 2011
 Q48  V39
Send PM
Not everyone gets an offer, but I've read before that most of the bulge brackets extend offers to 60-75% of summer interns. So you have a great shot, just don't be a moron and you should get an offer.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 291 [0]
Concentration: Investment Banking
Schools:Chicago (dinged), Tuck (November), Columbia (RD)
Send PM
jb32 wrote:
Not everyone gets an offer, but I've read before that most of the bulge brackets extend offers to 60-75% of summer interns. So you have a great shot, just don't be a moron and you should get an offer.

The percentages vary by bank. I believe Goldman's % is 50 or under.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
Schools:Wharton '11
Send PM
If you are from a top school , you will have a decent chance to get an Investment Banking position. It may not be at Goldman but other firms will take a chance on you. Interviews are really important prepare well and you should be fine.

Regarding recruiting numbers, banks are scaling down but it has not been drastic. They realize that they are in for the long term and like to keep good relationship with the top schools.

Good luck!
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
Schools:Wharton '11
Send PM
I can confirm that many Investment Bank aimed at give an offer to 100% of their summer associates. Basically they have enough spots for all, if you are good , you will get one. The offer is yours to lose.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 233 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Finance (Corp Fin, Financial Instruments)
Schools:NYU Stern 2009
Send PM
I think most of them intended to be able to offer 100% of the people jobs at the time, if they were competent (which they rarely all are, if ever - it stands to reason in recruitment).

But, that was January. The world has changed now, and I doubt any bank will be able to offer the original number projected.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 215 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Investment Management
Schools:CBS, Cornell, Duke, Ross, Darden
Send PM
3underscore wrote:
The world has changed now, and I doubt any bank will be able to offer the original number projected.

Agreed. Merrill, Citi, Lehman, and UBS are the four that come to mind as the severely impacted.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 59 [1]
Given Kudos: 10
Send PM
Kudos
I know I talked to some of you about career switchers, but topics like this really get me thinking. Would recent college grads (that are career switchers) have a better chance in trying to get in as a analyst, rather than going to business school?
I have a BS ChemE, and some family owned business knowledge, but nothing IB related, and a recent college grad. Would I have better chances at trying to land a analyst spot or is business school a better option?

I sort of had the same impression as the OP on this topic. Haven't really been proven to think otherwise, but I haven't talked to any "average" career switchers at top business schools who successfully switched into IB.

Also, how much schmoozing and networking? I am unclear about the magnitude of schmoozing required to land an IB job.
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   
Moderators:
Math Expert
92883 posts
GMAT Tutor
1907 posts